UV Lights and Fluorescent Minerals - a fun side hobby to metal detecting !

Here are some zircon crystals, photographed through KT's USB led microscope, 10X magnification, crystals are about 1.5 mm across. First picture is natural light, tan crystals. Second image is with unfiltered LW UV 365 nm light. Last image is filtered LW UV 365 nm light. Zircon is zirconium silicate and typically fluoresces an orange color. Specimen from Vishnevye Mountains, Chelyabinsk OBlast, Ural, Russia. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Zircon xls Vishnevye Mtns, Chelyabinsk Oblast, Ural, Russia JMH  natural light 10X.jpg
    Zircon xls Vishnevye Mtns, Chelyabinsk Oblast, Ural, Russia JMH natural light 10X.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Zircon xls Vishnevye Mtns, Chelyabinsk Oblast, Ural, Russia JMH 10X LW UV 365 nm wavelength no f.jpg
    Zircon xls Vishnevye Mtns, Chelyabinsk Oblast, Ural, Russia JMH 10X LW UV 365 nm wavelength no f.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 272
  • Zircon xls Vishnevye Mtns, Chelyabinsk Oblast, Ural, Russia JMH 10X fltered LW UV 365 nm.jpg
    Zircon xls Vishnevye Mtns, Chelyabinsk Oblast, Ural, Russia JMH 10X fltered LW UV 365 nm.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 260
Here are some zircon crystals, photographed through KT's USB led microscope, 10X magnification, crystals are about 1.5 mm across. First picture is natural light, tan crystals. Second image is with unfiltered LW UV 365 nm light. Last image is filtered LW UV 365 nm light. Zircon is zirconium silicate and typically fluoresces an orange color. Specimen from Vishnevye Mountains, Chelyabinsk OBlast, Ural, Russia. Enjoy!

Interesting difference between the unfiltered and filtered 365 nm UV !

Is the Zircon crystals the same substance they make cubic Zirconias out of ?

Interesting difference between the unfiltered and filtered 365 nm UV !

Is the Zircon crystals the same substance they make cubic Zirconias out of ?

Cubic zirconia is a man made Zirconium Oxide, it does not occur in nature as a mineral. Zircon is Zirconium Silicate and is a mineral. It is highly refractory, which simply means it has a very high melting temperature. KT will look up to see if it is used as a source of zirconium for manufacture of cubic zirconia and report back!

Ok, zircon is mined for both gemstones and for a source of the element zirconium. Due to its high specific gravity and resistance to weathering and abrasion, it is often concentrated in black sands (sands typically containing large volumes of ilmenite and rutile). Black sands are mined in several areas in the USA and are the source of both titanium and zirconium. Larger gemmy crystals are mined for gemstones in other areas of the world. Zircons also may contain thorium so they may be radioactive. As a source of zirconium oxide, zircon sands are considered the chemical feedstock for the manufacture of cubic zirconium.

So the simple answer to your question is yes! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Cubic zirconia is a man made Zirconium Oxide, it does not occur in nature as a mineral. Zircon is Zirconium Silicate and is a mineral. It is highly refractory, which simply means it has a very high melting temperature. KT will look up to see if it is used as a source of zirconium for manufacture of cubic zirconia and report back!

Ok, zircon is mined for both gemstones and for a source of the element zirconium. Due to its high specific gravity and resistance to weathering and abrasion, it is often concentrated in black sands (sands typically containing large volumes of ilmenite and rutile). Black sands are mined in several areas in the USA and are the source of both titanium and zirconium. Larger gemmy crystals are mined for gemstones in other areas of the world. Zircons also may contain thorium so they may be radioactive. As a source of zirconium oxide, zircon sands are considered the chemical feedstock for the manufacture of cubic zirconium.

So the simple answer to your question is yes! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks KT !

....but I didn't expect you to have to go into "research mode", I thought you might had simply known off the top of your head (or should I say "crown" :lol:)

The reason I asked is that I think I have 4 small samples of cubic Zirconias that I got as free samples from somewhere a long time ago, they are not labeled as to what they are so I am going from memory, but they are in plastic sleeves with the name "Lindenworld's" and I think it highly unlikely that samples of real diamonds would be sent that size :lol: (I had times in the past where I saw web sites listing "free samples" from various places and I figured if they want to send free samples, why not ? :lol:)

Anyhow, I'll have to double-check maybe by the end of the week but I don't remember any significant reaction to UV when I tried shining the UV on them in the past, so it might be that with the man-made process it is not reactive to UV but I'll double check to be sure and post pics if they seem to have any reaction.

HA HA....KT knew, but just wanted to confirm what He was about to say before saying it! It can be easy to open your mouth and prove you know nothing! :laughing::laughing:

In the instance of zircons being fluorescent, it apparently has to do with the structure, it is inherent, not due to trace elements, etc. Just like rubies, both natural and synthetic rubies are fluorescent, due to trace amounts of Cr+3...to be a ruby it has to be present! But some colored CZs are fluorescent, due to whatever they put in them to color them...that is called doping in the trade...so whatever element is added or doped to the CZ to give it color may also cause fluorescence.

HA HA....KT knew, but just wanted to confirm what He was about to say before saying it! It can be easy to open your mouth and prove you know nothing! :laughing::laughing:

In the instance of zircons being fluorescent, it apparently has to do with the structure, it is inherent, not due to trace elements, etc. Just like rubies, both natural and synthetic rubies are fluorescent, due to trace amounts of Cr+3...to be a ruby it has to be present! But some colored CZs are fluorescent, due to whatever they put in them to color them...that is called doping in the trade...so whatever element is added or doped to the CZ to give it color may also cause fluorescence.

Thanks KT, I'll have to refresh my memory of how they looked under UV and see about posting pics of them under regular light, LW UV, and SW UV just to be sure if the ones I have show any significant reaction to UV. (maybe before I did it too quick and didn't take time to do enough of a close up view)

Thanks KT, I'll have to refresh my memory of how they looked under UV and see about posting pics of them under regular light, LW UV, and SW UV just to be sure if the ones I have show any significant reaction to UV. (maybe before I did it too quick and didn't take time to do enough of a close up view)

Okay, last night I took some pics of those 4 cubic zirconias under regular light, LW UV light, SW UV light, and even with a blue-violet laser pointer shining thru them :lol: (today I took some close ups in regular light with the USB microscope)

The free samples in their sleeves (likely got years ago when checking sites that listed free samples :lol:)
cubic-zirconias in sleeves.jpg

In regular light (each is about 1/4 inch in size)
cubic-zirconias in regular light.jpg

In LW UV
(the light in the UV Beast flashlight went out after I did this pic so I put fresh batteries and and took another pic)
cubic-zirconias in 365nm UV a.jpg

In LW UV light with fresh batteries in the UV Beast flashlight
cubic-zirconias in 365nm UV b.jpg

In SW UV
cubic-zirconias in 254nm SW UV.jpg

With a blue-violet laser pointer shining thru them
cubic-zirconias with blue violet laser pointer.jpg

close ups with USB microscope in regular light (front and back)
cubic-zirconia 1.jpgcubic-zirconia 1a.jpg

cubic-zirconia 2.jpgcubic-zirconia 2a.jpg

front of 3 and 4
cubic-zirconia 3and4.jpg
back of 3 and 4
cubic-zirconia 3and4a.jpg

Last edited:
Glow in the dark and UV reactive stuff

Here is a small variety of glow in the dark and UV reactive stuff, some of which I got recently, while it is not specifically "fluorescent minerals" I kinda feel it fits in somewhat with the "UV lights" aspect of the thread as a side topic since UV lights are good to charge glow in the dark stuff quickly and of course are used with UV reactive stuff.
(at the bottom of this post I will share related links)

First here are 2 older bottles of glow in the dark paint many years old, the larger dimmer bottle was actually from a dollar store (the dollar store paint is not real bright, buy hey, it was only a dollar :lol:)
older glow in the dark paints.jpg

For comparison here is a much more recent purchase of glow in the dark paint, it is extra bright from the Europium in the paint, it is shown in normal light uncharged, then in the dark after being charged with my UV Beast flashlight, then shown with a blue-violet laser pointed at it
Europium UltraGlow paint 1.jpgEuropium UltraGlow paint 2.jpgBlue violet laser pointer shining at bottle of glow in the dark paint.jpg

Here are a couple rolls of peel and stick glow in the dark tape
Glow in the dark peel and stick tape rolls.jpg

Here is a pair of glow in the dark socks I recently got as a free sample, first pic is in regular light, 2nd pic is in the dark not too long after charging with the UV Beast flashlight, they do seem to be nice socks, but I was somewhat disappointed they didn't glow stronger, but I am thankful for the free sample regardless
socks glow in the dark sample - regular light.jpg
(I had to edit the glow photo below some as the camera was not sensitive enough to capture it as it looked in person, it might even had been slightly brighter, but this is closer than how dark the camera had it)
socks glow in the dark sample - after charging with UV.jpg

I read where tonic water was UV reactive so when I saw a bottle in the store for only about 89 cents (I think) I bought it just for using as a UV reactive item :lol:
Tonic water with qunine under 365nm UV.jpg

Here is a free sample of UV reactive carpet (18 inches by 18 inches), first pic is under regular light, 2nd pic under UV light (UV Beast flashlight), 3rd pic I shined the blue-violet laser pointer across it, NOTE: as with some UV reactive items, the reactive effect seems to look better in person than in the pic.
(I showed my wife the sample and mentioned how neat the dining room area would look with it, she didn't agree :lol: but I had to ask :lol: )
carpet sample uv reactive - regular light.jpgcarpet sample uv reactive - LW UV light.jpgBlue violet laser pointer shining across uv reactive carpet sample.jpg

NOTE: they recommend painting the glow in the dark paint over a white area for maximum glow, if it is not white, just paint it white before adding the glow in the dark paint, I got this bottle of white paint at the dollar store.
white paint - use as base under glow in the dark paint.jpg

Also, if using glow in the dark paint outside they recommend covering it with a clear acrylic coat when dry to protect it from the weather.

Here are some related links, some are for where I bought some of the above items and some are for where I requested the free samples

United Nuclear Europium Ultra Glow in The Dark Phosphorescent Paint

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0859X7KP4/

Glow in The Dark Tape

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076RFDQVY/

UV reactive carpet (free sample available) 4 designs available, I chose "Theatre", look for "free sample" button

https://www.bestcarpetvalue.com/glow-in-the-dark-carpet-list.aspx

Glow in the Dark Socks (email for free sample) from their web page:

You may request a free sample of a glow in the dark grippy sock. However, the sample you receive will have a random printed design already on it. Please send us your contact information and write the words "Free Glow in the Dark Sock Sample" in the Subject Line. .....to send us your request: [email protected]

AGT Glow Stones (for landscaping) (free sample available)

I have not received it yet, but I asked for the free "Ultra-Grade Glow Stone Sample"

https://ambientglowtechnology.com/pages/buyers-guide

from the above page: "we will also be offering all AGT Buyer’s Guide subscribers a FREE AGT™ Glow Stone Sample"

(the buyer's guide is free and the form at the above link should also get you a free sample)

My turn to post...something fluorescent that is not a mineral! HA HA

Just got this in today. KT has a fair amount of Uranium glass in the Royal Collection and a few pieces of fluorescent Manganese Cadmium glass. But this is cute enough to be interesting.

KT's mother used to collect Carnival Glass, and her favorite color was Marigold, so in her honor KT purchased a Marigold Carnival Glass flower frog, 3 inches in diameter. The flower frog is not fluorescent, but iridescent, like Carnival glass is supposed to be. The frog is 3 inches in diameter.

Anyway, today for the reader's enjoyment I have a picture in natural light of the flower frog with some uranium vaseline glass marbles perched on it. Second picture is the same view with LW Uv 365nm unfiltered light. My! KT sure likes those glowing marbles! :laughing::laughing:

Hope some of the Forum members like them too!

Attachments

• U glass marbles on 3 in diameter Carnival glass flower frog natural light.jpg
    U glass marbles on 3 in diameter Carnival glass flower frog natural light.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 275
  • U glass marbles on 3 in diameter Carnival glass flower frog unfiltered LW UV 365 nm.jpg
    U glass marbles on 3 in diameter Carnival glass flower frog unfiltered LW UV 365 nm.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 277
Just got this in today. KT has a fair amount of Uranium glass in the Royal Collection and a few pieces of fluorescent Manganese Cadmium glass. But this is cute enough to be interesting.

KT's mother used to collect Carnival Glass, and her favorite color was Marigold, so in her honor KT purchased a Marigold Carnival Glass flower frog, 3 inches in diameter. The flower frog is not fluorescent, but iridescent, like Carnival glass is supposed to be. The frog is 3 inches in diameter.

Anyway, today for the reader's enjoyment I have a picture in natural light of the flower frog with some uranium vaseline glass marbles perched on it. Second picture is the same view with LW Uv 365nm unfiltered light. My! KT sure likes those glowing marbles! :laughing::laughing:

Hope some of the Forum members like them too!

Super neat KT !!!! :thumbsup:

I have one of those kind of marbles, if you ever drop them on the floor they should be easy to find with a UV light :laughing:

Did you see my cubic zirconium and "glow in the dark and UV reactive stuff" threads ?

Just a little while ago I got the free samples from "AGT Glow Stones" and they were very generous, 9 total packets of samples, 3 different colors, 3 sizes of each color.

They sent a follow-up email today asking if I got them, I was considering the possibility of having a narrow edge of glow stones along my sidewalk and driveway, but I need to test their glow durability and if they are visible enough to stand out with the ambient light in the area, would need to convince my wife also :lol: I will see about adding pics of the samples maybe by later tomorrow if not tonight, in both natural light and glowing in the dark.

I have one of those kind of marbles, if you ever drop them on the floor they should be easy to find with a UV light :laughing:

Did you see my cubic zirconium and "glow in the dark and UV reactive stuff" threads ?

Just a little while ago I got the free samples from "AGT Glow Stones" and they were very generous, 9 total packets of samples, 3 different colors, 3 sizes of each color.

They sent a follow-up email today asking if I got them, I was considering the possibility of having a narrow edge of glow stones along my sidewalk and driveway, but I need to test their glow durability and if they are visible enough to stand out with the ambient light in the area, would need to convince my wife also :lol: I will see about adding pics of the samples maybe by later tomorrow if not tonight, in both natural light and glowing in the dark.

GKL, yes, sir! I sure did and it was a good addition to the information that we are building in this thread! Eventually, KT plans on photographing other glassware pieces In the Royal Collection. When that happens, they will be posted in this thread!

If anyone reading this thread wants to purchase a book for further reading, one of them I pictured in a previous post in here (KT posted cover pictures of five books) at a reasonable price...less than $10, I recommend Ultraviolet Light and Fluorescent Minerals...4 authors. KT is about 1/2 finished reading it. Full of good information concerning how to collect and organize a fluorescent mineral collection, as well as some info on a few of the classic fluorescent mineral localities. All authors are well experienced and present info from their own personal experiences!

One other thought...if you put those glow rocks out where kids might see them, they just might disappear! :laughing::laughing:

One other thought...if you put those glow rocks out where kids might see them, they just might disappear! :laughing::laughing:

:laughing:

Fortunately we live somewhat off the beaten path so to speak, and extremely rare to see anyone walking down the gravel road our property is off of, just one neighbor on our street further down the road so they just drive by occasionally.

Anyhow, I think the ideal way is to press the glow stones into the top of freshly poured cement after it has set just enough, that way they are firmly held in place but still visible. I guess you could use outdoor glue also to glue it where it wouldn't be a problem as far as walking on.

:laughing:

Fortunately we live somewhat off the beaten path so to speak, and extremely rare to see anyone walking down the gravel road our property is off of, just one neighbor on our street further down the road so they just drive by occasionally.

Anyhow, I think the ideal way is to press the glow stones into the top of freshly poured cement after it has set just enough, that way they are firmly held in place but still visible. I guess you could use outdoor glue also to glue it where it wouldn't be a problem as far as walking on.

Pressing those stones into concrete reminded KT. Why not pour a cement stepping stone or two, and press them into those?? We have a couple of those we pressed marbles into and that works well! Both stepping stones are round!

Pressing those stones into concrete reminded KT. Why not pour a cement stepping stone or two, and press them into those?? We have a couple of those we pressed marbles into and that works well! Both stepping stones are round!

Neat idea KT !!!! :thumbsup:

Maybe press them into the stepping stones around the edge to light up the perimeter of the stepping stones !

Okay, here's some pics of those free sample packs of glow stones I mentioned in an earlier post.
(see the link for "AGT Glow Stones" around the bottom of post number 88)

Here they are in natural light
glow stones 1.jpg

Here they are inside in the dark right after being charged with the UV Beast flashlight
glow stones 2.jpg

Close up of each color group right after being charged with the UV Beast flashlight
glow stones 3.jpg

Close up of each color group right after being charged with the UV Beast flashlight
glow stones 4.jpg

glow stones 5.jpg

These next 2 pics were outside after it got dark, to be fair the glow stones had only been in direct sunlight for about 2 hours so it might not be a fair test until I have a day where I can have them outside in the sun all day and then see how well they glow after it gets dark and how long the glow stays easily visible. (need to wait till we have an all day sunny day) (I think the pics are likely somewhat darker than how it looked in person)
glow stones 6.jpg
glow stones 7.jpg

Interesting about the glow stones, Gary! KT wonders if they have been ceramic coated with a fluorescent ceramic finish.

OK, here are two recent acquisitions to the Royal Collection. First one is the mineral Manganapatite from Bennett Mine, Buckfield, Maine...a classic site. First picture is natural light, second picture is unfiltered SW UV 254 nm, specimen measures 1.5 inch by 2 inches.

Second mineral is microcline from Zinkgruvan Mine, near Godegard, Motala, Ostergotland County, Sweden. It is rare for feldspar minerals to fluoresce any color but red. This specimen measures 2.75 inches by 3 inches. First picture is again natural light and second picture is unfiltered SW UV 254 nm.

These pictures were taken tonight, just to prove that KT is NOT addicted to the Olympics! :laughing::laughing: Enjoy!

Attachments

• Mangapatite Bennett Mine, Buckfield, Maine natural light.jpg
    Mangapatite Bennett Mine, Buckfield, Maine natural light.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Mangapatite Bennett Mine, Buckfield, Maine unfiltered SW UV 254 nm.JPG
    Mangapatite Bennett Mine, Buckfield, Maine unfiltered SW UV 254 nm.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Microcline, Zinkgruvan Mine, near Godegard, Motala, Ostergotland, Sweden natural light.jpg
    Microcline, Zinkgruvan Mine, near Godegard, Motala, Ostergotland, Sweden natural light.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Microcline, Zinkgruvan Mine, near Godegard, Motala, Ostergotland, Sweden unfiltered SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    Microcline, Zinkgruvan Mine, near Godegard, Motala, Ostergotland, Sweden unfiltered SW UV 254 nm.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 191
Interesting about the glow stones, Gary! KT wonders if they have been ceramic coated with a fluorescent ceramic finish.

OK, here are two recent acquisitions to the Royal Collection. First one is the mineral Manganapatite from Bennett Mine, Buckfield, Maine...a classic site. First picture is natural light, second picture is unfiltered SW UV 254 nm, specimen measures 1.5 inch by 2 inches.

Second mineral is microcline from Zinkgruvan Mine, near Godegard, Motala, Ostergotland County, Sweden. It is rare for feldspar minerals to fluoresce any color but red. This specimen measures 2.75 inches by 3 inches. First picture is again natural light and second picture is unfiltered SW UV 254 nm.

These pictures were taken tonight, just to prove that KT is NOT addicted to the Olympics! :laughing::laughing: Enjoy!

Neat new specimens KT !!!! :thumbsup:

The green glow one seems somewhat eerie like it is radioactive and from a SciFi movie :lol:

The blue glow one makes for a nice contrast to some of the other colors in your collection.

Hey, I am somewhat amazed at some of the events now included in the Olympics like I noticed they have the rock-wall climbing, not that that can't be challenging, but what next ? frisbee golf ? tiddlywinks ? pick-up sticks ? :lol:

......as far as the glow rock samples I showed, they are actually made as "glow in the dark" as opposed to merely being fluorescent.

The pictures of the glowing glow stones I posted where taken in the dark without a UV light shining on them, I used the UV Beast flashlight to charge the glow stone samples, but turned the flashlight off before taking the pictures.

I was trying to see if they described the process they used and so far only found this:

https://ambientglowtechnology.com/

.....quote from the above link:

(quote)
AGT™ glow stones feature a proprietary manufacturing process utilizing the highest loading of Strontium-Aluminate doped with pure Europium (SrAl204) technically possible.
(end quote)

I still have not yet done a long enough outdoor test with the samples to see how long they glow enough to still stand out at night with the ambient light in the area. It is obvious the darker the location they are the more they will stand out.

Neat new specimens KT !!!! :thumbsup:

The green glow one seems somewhat eerie like it is radioactive and from a SciFi movie :lol:

The blue glow one makes for a nice contrast to some of the other colors in your collection.

Hey, I am somewhat amazed at some of the events now included in the Olympics like I noticed they have the rock-wall climbing, not that that can't be challenging, but what next ? frisbee golf ? tiddlywinks ? pick-up sticks ? :lol:

......as far as the glow rock samples I showed, they are actually made as "glow in the dark" as opposed to merely being fluorescent.

The pictures of the glowing glow stones I posted where taken in the dark without a UV light shining on them, I used the UV Beast flashlight to charge the glow stone samples, but turned the flashlight off before taking the pictures.

I was trying to see if they described the process they used and so far only found this:

https://ambientglowtechnology.com/

.....quote from the above link:

(quote)
AGT™ glow stones feature a proprietary manufacturing process utilizing the highest loading of Strontium-Aluminate doped with pure Europium (SrAl204) technically possible.
(end quote)

I still have not yet done a long enough outdoor test with the samples to see how long they glow enough to still stand out at night with the ambient light in the area. It is obvious the darker the location they are the more they will stand out.

I suggest you take one, break it and determine if they are coated or solid, can do that easily with a UV light. If coated then that Sr-aluminate is a ceramic coating, otherwise it is a solid chunk of that same material that has been fired.

On that first mineral, you will note when comparing the natural light vs UV light, the dark blue spots on the first picture are the mangapatite, that fluoresce yellowish green.

I suggest you take one, break it and determine if they are coated or solid, can do that easily with a UV light. If coated then that Sr-aluminate is a ceramic coating, otherwise it is a solid chunk of that same material that has been fired.

On that first mineral, you will note when comparing the natural light vs UV light, the dark blue spots on the first picture are the mangapatite, that fluoresce yellowish green.

Neat observation KT, big difference between the natural light vs UV light as you mentioned, interesting contrast !

I am thinking the glow stones are made as solid glowing chunks, especially since the samples included large, medium, and small sizes, the small size might be similar in size to rock salt or even slightly smaller and I just don't think they'd coat something that small.

Anyhow, for now I emailed the contact person at AGT who can answer my questions and I asked him about that, I'll post what he says after he replies, I could still try what you said, but I think he will give me an honest answer :lol:

Back
Top Bottom