Now I can tell the entire story!

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
KT here. Two weeks ago when His Majesty went to dump his halves, the security guard at the bank showed me a picture on his cell phone. A very early Capped Bust dollar coin that he found in the dump machine! Looked in pretty decent shape, so I suggested he take it to the local coin and stamp shop for a trusted evaluation. Last Friday, when KT was dumping the Royal Leftovers, the guard approached His Majesty. Having had it evaluated, it was a Chinese fake! Apparently the weight was way off. But he still sold it to the other CRHer who dumps at this bank for $20, slightly over the silver value. KT wonders who that dumper will try and pass it on to?!

This is the first time KT knows of that he has for certain seen a Chinese fake collector dollar coin. The guard was happy for the contact that KT gave him, and he got more of the true value out of it.

Funny thing is that the machine will take pennies to half dollars, but not silver dollars. KT did get a call one time from a teller, who had just cashed in 71 Ike dollar coins, wanting to know if His Majesty wanted any of them. KT made a Royal Beeline to the bank and bought them all. Most were simple clad, but there were a few silver proofs in that batch....three me thinks, including a bicentennial silver proof! :laughing::laughing:

Wow, I thought you were gonna say "Then I bought the silver dollar for 1 dollar and it was real so I got rich", a Chinese fake is rarely present in CRH'ing! :lol:

Great story!

Josh

Wow, I thought you were gonna say "Then I bought the silver dollar for 1 dollar and it was real so I got rich", a Chinese fake is rarely present in CRH'ing! :lol:

Great story!

Josh

KT is very glad He did NOT offer to buy that coin. You are likely correct about not finding these when detecting, Metal detecto, but KT is very hesitant to even consider purchasing any older silver coins...late 1700s through early 1800s...off eBay. For better, more expensive coins, KT will deal directly with a reputable coin dealer. One who will guarantee my satisfaction or money back. Any time one sees a quality old coin at a super bargain price, it is not a bargain! Buyer beware!

KT is very glad He did NOT offer to buy that coin. You are likely correct about not finding these when detecting, Metal detecto, but KT is very hesitant to even consider purchasing any older silver coins...late 1700s through early 1800s...off eBay. For better, more expensive coins, KT will deal directly with a reputable coin dealer. One who will guarantee my satisfaction or money back. Any time one sees a quality old coin at a super bargain price, it is not a bargain! Buyer beware!

Now you got me to think that my 1818 proof mint silver half is a fake... :lol: Only paid like 12k on it... :lol:

Josh

There are those out there that collect counterfeit coins, so I’m hoping that guy doesn’t try and pass that dollar off on someone unsuspecting! There are a lot of Chinese fake pieces out there, soon I’m going thru all my Morgan and Peace dollars with a strong magnet. I bought lots of silver dollars about ten years ago for $12-$15 ea. I wouldn’t be surprised if I found a couple fakes.

There are those out there that collect counterfeit coins, so I’m hoping that guy doesn’t try and pass that dollar off on someone unsuspecting! There are a lot of Chinese fake pieces out there, soon I’m going thru all my Morgan and Peace dollars with a strong magnet. I bought lots of silver dollars about ten years ago for $12-$15 ea. I wouldn’t be surprised if I found a couple fakes.

Pray tell, amc rulz, let us know your results! And how handy that the fake coins would contain enough iron to be magnetic! KT had heard that the Chinese were making rarer dates due to the higher collector value, and not coins that would sell in your price range. Why fake a coin to sell at about $15, when the same effort would make a fake that might sell for $150 to $300? :?::?:

Yep, for this old jackpine savage the coin would have to come from a reputable dealer for sure with a good return policy. I watched a bunch of those Chinese videos on making fake US coins and it's too bad they can't be shut down.:mad::mad:

I found a fake Chinese silver dollar recently. Could a jeweler replate it ?
Just curious

I found a fake Chinese silver dollar recently. Could a jeweler replate it ?
Just curious

KT doubts that a jeweler could do it, but a jewelry manufacturing shop or a metal plating/refinishing shop should be able to do it. One used to be able to buy a cheap silver replating kit to do it with electrolysis, but KT does not know if it is still available now, due to those sorry environmentalists! :p:p:laughing: It supposedly contains some "dangerous" chemicals!

When a young Kinglet, KT got a large chemistry set and had a lot of fun with it, including filling the dungeon with nitric acid fumes! :shock::shock: Cough, cough!

Pray tell, amc rulz, let us know your results! And how handy that the fake coins would contain enough iron to be magnetic! KT had heard that the Chinese were making rarer dates due to the higher collector value, and not coins that would sell in your price range. Why fake a coin to sell at about $15, when the same effort would make a fake that might sell for $150 to $300? :?::?:
KT if you check out that big website, that shall remain nameless, you’ll see that they sell fake US silver dollars anywhere from the late 1700’s on up to modern dates, for around 50 cents ea. or less.

KT if you check out that big website, that shall remain nameless, you’ll see that they sell fake US silver dollars anywhere from the late 1700’s on up to modern dates, for around 50 cents ea. or less.

Well, KT is now definitely glad He did not buy that fake capped bust dollar! That poor guy that bought it for $20 obviously did no internet checking to see what they sell for. WHEW!

Back
Top Bottom