How to put metal detector for long time storage

Metal detecto

Elite Member
I'm not getting much use from my equinox, and I think it's better to make sure she's going to be alright when I wake her up a few years later.

Any tips on how to get Roberta in the best shape to store in the shed for a few years?

Josh

Wow A few years....That thing will be obsolete when you get her back out. You may as well ship her off to me. I'll take good care of Roberta for you......

Seems like one of those “conversation starter” threads….like when a co-worker walks by and off handedly says “Wow what a weekend!” You’re almost socially required to provide a response. Almost…

Fitting name.

She will A-OK if you keep her in a climate controlled space like inside your home, and keep the battery level not-quite-full, but not-quite-empty.

Don't forget to smell the roses along the way.

I'm not getting much use from my equinox, and I think it's better to make sure she's going to be alright when I wake her up a few years later.

Any tips on how to get Roberta in the best shape to store in the shed for a few years?

Josh

Battery at half charge. That's general lithium battery best practice, and I think it says it in the manual.

What others have said: keep the battery stored with roughly half charge. Probably anywhere b/w 1/3 to 2/3 should be ok.

Wow A few years....That thing will be obsolete when you get her back out. You may as well ship her off to me. I'll take good care of Roberta for you......

You bring up a good point.

I understand the OP may have sentimental reasons for not selling Roberta and I totally get that. But from a purely monetary perspective, it'd probably be best to sell "her" now, then buy another Equnox in a few years and pocket the difference.

Storing Roberta

Sorry to hear you are going to put Roberta in storage for now , know you won't be getting rid of her since she was a gift from Scuba Detective and will always be special. You might add some of these to help protect her in storage . (Keep a silica gel packet wherever you store any electronics with a lens or a screen. These items are particularly sensitive to moisture and condensation, so storing a gel pack with them can be a cheap insurance policy against moisture damage.) Dirtyknee (Ken Ward ) uses that method to keep his detectors that he keeps in the Philippines safe when he is stateside. Try to pop in now and then to let us know how you are doing with school and life. Before you know it you will have Christmas break , spring break , and another summer vacation. Maybe another trip to those beaches in Korea. Don't worry about Roberta getting out dated she will be way newer than many of us are using , and sure she will serve your needs for a long time. Hope the storage time is short and you are back out detecting before long.

Last edited:
You guys mentioned keep battery 1/3 to 2/3 charged...Not very good at tech stuff, but How do I do that...When I'm done hunting for maybe 4 or 5 days, I just put the charger on my Nox 600 and the wireless headphones and let them go til the lights tell me they are done....Tell me what you mean....Pete

sentimental reasons

You bring up a good point.

I understand the OP may have sentimental reasons for not selling Roberta and I totally get that. But from a purely monetary perspective, it'd probably be best to sell "her" now, then buy another Equnox in a few years and pocket the difference.

Since Roberta was given to him Scuba Detective i doubt she will be up for sale.

You guys mentioned keep battery 1/3 to 2/3 charged...Not very good at tech stuff, but How do I do that...When I'm done hunting for maybe 4 or 5 days, I just put the charger on my Nox 600 and the wireless headphones and let them go til the lights tell me they are done....Tell me what you mean....Pete

There's no easy, yet precise way to do it. What I'd do is charge it 100%, then use it until the moment I see it going from 2 bars to 1. Presumably, this gets you to about 1/3 charge.

Alternatively, you could use it until the moment it goes from 3 bars down to 2.

I'd use the first method if I was pulling a lot of juice from the Equinox. We're talking wireless on, backlight on, volume on the highest setting and actively hunting with it.

If just letting is sit idle, with onle the LCD segments "on," I'd use the second method. The current draw will be lower, which means an ever so slight reduction in the voltage sag of the battery. This means the battery bar indictor will trip later, than if drawing more current from the cell.

These battery meters don't detect the actual state of charge of the battery (as that's practically impossible). Instead, they only measure the voltage of the cell, then the software extrapolates this reading (maybe even comparing it to the current being drawn from the cell at the time of measurement) to estimate a current state of charge of the battery.

All that being said, you could just refer to the amount of hunting time you get from a fully charged battery. On your next hunt, start off with a battery at 100%. Then you just stop hunting when you get to that halfway point.

I would spray the cables with 303 spray..

If it will be more then 1 years storage I would recommend pulling the battery or have someone pull it for you. Li-ion batteries are wicked, great source of power but they can be dangerous if not cared for correct.

The Nox battery is a Li-ion 26650 5000mAh 3.2 to 4.2volts. 40 to 50% charge when stored. Which 3.8v is safe. They will discharge about 2% a month so I would check about every 6 months.

I would spray the cables with 303 spray..

If it will be more then 1 years storage I would recommend pulling the battery or have someone pull it for you. Li-ion batteries are wicked, great source of power but they can be dangerous if not cared for correct.

The Nox battery is a Li-ion 26650 5000mAh 3.2 to 4.2volts. 40 to 50% charge when stored. Which 3.8v is safe. They will discharge about 2% a month so I would check about every 6 months.

Question: How much of that 2% self-discharge is due to the battery itself and how much is due to parasitic/vampire draw from the Equinox?

Thank you for all the answers. Selling is a no-go for me, I want to keep Roberta with me just in case one day I want to MD suddenly.

I have traded with my neighbor since I have no need to use my 440 anymore, better just pass it on to someone else.

So, the checklist is:

Give one last deep clean

Take out the lithium battery

Make sure the battery is at 50%

Josh

You better what's it - Roberta is liable vulgar slangin a year or two if you do that. You better take her out in a drive every month or so, she may not talk you any more otherwise Woman are like that...

mh9162013,
You sound like you really know what you're talking about...Thank you for the explanation.
I shouldn't have a problem, It usually just sets for maybe a week at a time til I get out again. Too old to be hunting every day, plus I don't have that many places to hunt.
I can't get myself to knock on doors. I will ask permission at a farm to do his field but not lawns.

mh9162013,
You sound like you really know what you're talking about...Thank you for the explanation.
I shouldn't have a problem, It usually just sets for maybe a week at a time til I get out again. Too old to be hunting every day, plus I don't have that many places to hunt.
I can't get myself to knock on doors. I will ask permission at a farm to do his field but not lawns.

You're welcome.

And you're right, you shouldn't have a problem if you're going a week or two between hunts with your Equinox.

As for knocking on doors, I used to be hesitant like you. Then I told myself to just suck it up and ask. Now, I have no problem asking. The problem now is finding the right time to do it, as you often need to be ready to start hunting the moment they give you permission.

As for digging in lawns, I usually get my permissions in the fall or spring. I never go door knocking when we're in a dry spell in the height of summer. I'll even avoid parks at that time and just stick to making yellow spots in my own yard.

Question: How much of that 2% self-discharge is due to the battery itself and how much is due to parasitic/vampire draw from the Equinox?

The 2% is natural discharge. I am not sure about the draw the Nox has.. I would bet it is very small. Me.... I would remove the battery, M-D, Being a younger person (13?) this machine could set for more then a few years. :waiting:

Back
Top Bottom