• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

The Orange Fence Around Construction

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I found construction being done on a small playground in an old park today. This playground is the epicenter of where I and buddies have gotten many silvers and a piece or two of jewelry, around the outside, not in the small playground.

Well, the crew is taking everything out inside the cemented boundary which surrounded the playground equipment, all the way down to the base, old ground. They were finishing up installing the orange plastic fencing around it when I left at 4pm. That base ground they've exposed HAS TO have goodies. There reportedly used to be a carnival thing right there back in the 1800s.

Do I go back and enter a low spot in the fence right before darkness or after dark and hit it? I suspect the independent crew won't take a lot of time in attacking the job tomorrow and cement pours fast. I have no clue as to their finishing plan design though.

What would you do?”

This answer your question?

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 455
Are you talking about that flimsy orange netting fence stuff ? The type that you merely push down with your hand, and step right over ? Sheesk, that's tame stuff ! Just do it. :roll: We expect to see old silver show & tell by this time tomorrow :foottap:

I'd be all over that, ASAP. Around here theres a bunch of work going on in the parks. They started putting chain link fences up around them though. Good luck if you get out there!

I'd be all over that, ASAP. Around here theres a bunch of work going on in the parks. They started putting chain link fences up around them though. Good luck if you get out there!

Some of my most fabulous coin-ratio-tally hunts have been from old-town parks, when the turf is scraped off for renovations of some type. Like when preparing to install a tennis court, or artificial turf, or whatever.

And no, you're never going to get red-carpets rolled out for you. You just wait till 6pm , and go look for that boyscout ring your dad lost there when he was a kid. Presto, problem solved.

I'm on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

If you have the time, and it’s not difficult to access the spot to detect I’d be all over it. The last two potential construction sites here - they’ve put up chain link and “no trespassing” and “danger” signs and I don’t know if I’m getting old or what but I don’t touch those… I asked at one of those and the foreman said “no” and “liability”….

The other part of me is like “put on an orange safety vest…”

Or there’s the Tom approach, “so quiet and serene” moonlight ninja.

go look for that boyscout ring your dad lost there when he was a kid. Presto, problem solved.

This is just pure genius!!
Do it dude!!

It appears you only have a very narrow window of opportunity.
As Tom replied, wait until the workers leave for the day and get after it.
What good is it doing for coins and potentially historic items to rot under a new playground?

Thanks. I hunted what cleared ground yesterday that was open. A small dozer was still inside plus three piles of refuse including busted pieces of cement, so a third or more of the ground was not hunted. All I could find in the 20 minutes was a copper Memorial and a wheat and a screw cap, so it wasn't as rich as I expected. They actually cut a bit deeper than the outer perimeter. I'm going back today around the same time to see if the rest of the ground is open. Might be that some of the goodies is in the piles of dirt, clay and sawdust. I never had much luck sweeping over piles like that.

Thanks. I hunted what cleared ground yesterday that was open. A small dozer was still inside plus three piles of refuse including busted pieces of cement, so a third or more of the ground was not hunted. All I could find in the 20 minutes was a copper Memorial and a wheat and a screw cap, so it wasn't as rich as I expected. They actually cut a bit deeper than the outer perimeter. I'm going back today around the same time to see if the rest of the ground is open. Might be that some of the goodies is in the piles of dirt, clay and sawdust. I never had much luck sweeping over piles like that.

Excellent. Wouldn't it suck if you always had to wonder what was in there that you missed because you didn't hunt it when it was scraped back?

Actually a very good point. I've always wondered if they dig/scrap e out too much dirt ? Leaving the good targets in the "trash" pile. But hunting those piles is not easy.

I went back today and they had all of the dirt cleared out but the two bobcats and new playground stuff was unboxed. I was able to find two dark stained Mercs(43 & 44), and a 1916 Barber dime. All were found in less than 1/2 inch and more shallow. I figure all those big piles of dirt and old saw dust which was hauled off, was rich in more finds, Oh well, at least I got in there. Thanks for the help.

Oh, the pic of the playground shows a dirt ramp the bobcats used to carry the dug stuff over the cement boundary and that is where I found the cleaner looking Barber dime. Imagine the treasure in three shoulder high heaps that got hauled away. :-(

Attachments

• C074AAF4-43B4-4933-B011-E27A537A0508.jpeg
    C074AAF4-43B4-4933-B011-E27A537A0508.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 263
  • CA879329-AA1A-401F-AAD2-A0E70E7E546A.jpeg
    CA879329-AA1A-401F-AAD2-A0E70E7E546A.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 88ECEC30-DA0A-44C9-96EB-0ADB582A4BA0.jpeg
    88ECEC30-DA0A-44C9-96EB-0ADB582A4BA0.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 239
  • 48D53E31-F133-4ECB-8D39-52D6DA7C1247.jpeg
    48D53E31-F133-4ECB-8D39-52D6DA7C1247.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 241
  • BA316734-9826-40ED-A0EE-E4384766933D.jpeg
    BA316734-9826-40ED-A0EE-E4384766933D.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 248
that was the answer i would have told you "it is easier to say im sorry i didnt know than to ask and they say no and then catch you there anyway some time you have to reach for the balls and see if you handle the job in front of ya......

...than to ask and they say no and then catch you there .......

Yes, this is a reason to "grow a set" and not ask silly questions. Because, sure, perhaps it probably never crossed their mind, nor would they have cared or noticed. But they pass out the obligatory "no" to your 'pressing question". And then the mind-games start : Now you simply can't just go anyhow. Because, gee, you just got a "no". OR IF YOU DID simply just come back after 6pm, then guess what ? Now you feel 3x as awkward . You will not feel comfortable.

Thus yes: Just grow a set, and go look for your dad's boyscout ring after 6pm. Why make it difficult ? :roll:

I was curious that first day I got inside the fence. It was right in the heart of the after work traffic time, around 630PM, and I always figure the cops are out watching drivers. Well, low and behold, a black and white did cruise through around 15 minutes after I got to hunting. I wonder if they didn't see me, or didn't care since this was an independent contractor, not a city one. Those orange fences really aren't labeled as "Stay out", but I assumed all this time that it was implied. I'll likely stay out of most anyway but this one "had history" which I and others had dig up all around this playground over the years.

I sure with they'd not dug down that last 6-10 inches. I also wonder...where do they take those big piles of dirt to dispose of it? Treasure could be transplanted elsewhere in strange places if it is used as fill dirt. Maybe I'll catch someone working at this construction and ask the question about where those piles are taken, for future reference. And maybe I'll just not "stir the pot."

Back
Top Bottom