Funny story of a way to redeem cruddy clad :

That is too funny Tom! Every time I take my coins to the machine in the lobby of my local credit union I'm afraid also of "getting caught". YOU!! YOU'RE THE ONE!!

Why not just clean the clad every time you hunt? :newidea: Then when you have a large amount to cash in there's no problem like you mentioned. Doesn't take much time/effort to clean the clad enough to the point where the coin machine will accept them.

This post reminds me of a great story...

When covid hit this past year at the office some things changed. One of them was the snacks in the break room. Before Covid, somone went out shopping to buy snacks and it was on the honor system, you pay 50cents or whatever and get a candy bar etc... once covid hit I noticed a man unloading several vending machines into the breakroom.

Well having multiple sets of dirty change in my vehicle from detecting made the perfect snack money at the office. One day around 3 pm i head to the break room to get a snack and I notice the vending man there with a handful of coins in his hands studying them.. I can see there are some dirty clad quarters he had sat on the table next to him trying to figure it out.. To this day he doesn't know it was me and still continues to pick out dirty clad and put it and leave it on the table... just to be recycled again in the machine.

Not sure why he leaves it, I guess he figures it wont spend. I'm not one to argue though for free food

This post reminds me of a great story...

When covid hit this past year at the office some things changed. One of them was the snacks in the break room. Before Covid, somone went out shopping to buy snacks and it was on the honor system, you pay 50cents or whatever and get a candy bar etc... once covid hit I noticed a man unloading several vending machines into the breakroom.

Well having multiple sets of dirty change in my vehicle from detecting made the perfect snack money at the office. One day around 3 pm i head to the break room to get a snack and I notice the vending man there with a handful of coins in his hands studying them.. I can see there are some dirty clad quarters he had sat on the table next to him trying to figure it out.. To this day he doesn't know it was me and still continues to pick out dirty clad and put it and leave it on the table... just to be recycled again in the machine.

Not sure why he leaves it, I guess he figures it wont spend. I'm not one to argue though for free food

This story brought me a chuckle :cool3:

Someday in the future it may come to where coins aren't accepted or else they may be made of some metal that can't be detected. When that happens current coins will become collector items. Old coins will always be worth more. The future of metal detecting will always be here.

Ha ha, great story Tom!

When KT was in college, most of his major classes were in the basement of the old physics building. In that basement was an old style cup dispensing coke machine. Price was 75 cents/ drink. Machine took a paper dollar but never gave any change. Daily when I wanted a coke and was in that building, I would visit that machine...always had a post it note on it...machine does not give change!

So I would pull off the post it, plug in a quarter, machine would drop a cup and give me a coke! Next day same routine! Ha ha. I do not think the service man ever fixed the machine the year I was doing this, because there was alway plenty of money to pay for the drinks dispensed due to everyone chipping in a buck! Lol. And he never saw a post it note on the machine!

I discovered this purely by accident. And KT is old enough to remember those stamp machines. If one stuck in a $5 bill and bought one stamp, it would give you back 4 Susan B. Anthony dollars and small change! Those Susan B.s were the ugliest dollar coins ever made, but KT loved those Sacaguaya coins...very nice!

Ha Ha... I used to fix those vending machines. I was (retired) an Area Maintenance Technician for the PO... Means we fixed everything. Main Job was AC, Electric, Securities, Doors, Locks, Safes and Vaults and driving to the next facility (lots of miles). But they gave us Vending Machines to fix also.
They took all of those machines out now. The new ones only take Credit Cards and are Contracted out. Made me laugh though. The Window Clerks used to have to process all those coins every day before the window opened. But they had nice coin rolling machines... So no worries.

Back
Top Bottom