• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

In My Seat: A Pilot's Story from September 10th - 11th

Princess

Elite Member
Where were you on September 11, 2001? Most of us can say exactly what was occurring in our own lives on that day which permanently altered the lives of so many.

Personally, I was too young to comprehend what was going on around me. I'm told that the phone rang, and it was my grandma urging us to turn on the news and to pray. I was a child in my mother's arms as my family watched the devastating footage on TV, tuning in just before the second tower was hit. In a day when live footage was rare (so I'm informed), the television was portraying horrifying images that one could scarcely believe were actually happening in real life.

Although I don't have any recollections of that day, I realize that what happened then is still a matter of importance now. Twenty years ago, our nation was devastated. Twenty years ago, Americans - human beings who were going about their daily schedules - tragically had their lives taken from them. Twenty years ago, first responders and other heroes courageously went into the fight in valiant efforts to save others; in some cases at the cost of life or limb. Twenty years ago, families grieved the loss of dear ones. And twenty years later, while some have perhaps forgotten, these family members & surviving heroes still mourn... their lives permanently scarred, both physically and emotionally.

As we consider our own memories of this national tragedy, I would like to share this true-life account of a pilot's recollection from September eleventh. While many people do remember exactly where they were on that day, this man's profound story is about where he wasn't.

On this Patriot Day and every day, may we as Americans remain grateful for our liberties.

Back
Top Bottom