What are some good pinpointers that are not too expensive

AustinCRH&MD

Im looking for a decent pinpointer that i can use to search when searching in the hole that detects more than a few inches down. i have a bounty hunter detector but the pinpointer that came with it doesn't work well im looking anything under a hundred or so. Are there any places that might have good black friday deals ive been looking thanks

Minelab pro-finds start at $80. Minelab makes some of the most coveted detectors we read about here, i would think the pointers would perform very well.

The pro find15 can be had for $70-75, the nokta as coinboy said is comparable to the carrot for less $, thinking $80. For a little more $ and top of line performance the Teknetics Tec-point is great. I believe you can get them for around $90? If they're too expensive then this one on amazon performs well for $30
'shrxy Hand Held Pin Pointer'

I've upgraded all my equipment in the 3 years I've been metal detecting and the most impactful upgrade I ever made was to go ahead and get a good pinpointer. I love my Fisher F-Pulse which is similar to the Teknetics Tec-Point mentioned above. The Nokta pinpointer is probably the least expensive in the 'good' pinpointer category, although I've never used one. A good pinpointer makes finding the target so much easier and faster allowing more time for detecting.

Think of it this way. There is only the equivalent of the cost of one tank of gas between the medium priced pin pointers that actually work and the top of the line nonbluetooth pin pointers.

Last edited:
I also started with a pin-pointer I got free in a package deal when I got my detector. I up graded to the f-pulse. It has been great! all of the options you have sound on or off, vibrate on or off, light on or off and four different levels, power level high med low. I have only been using it for 5 month so I can’t speak for long life but I’m hopping for that.

Forgot to say the nokta pointer is probably the cheapest waterproof pointer, can be dunked to 3 feet and I’ve tested that.

I have a Vibra-probe 580 that I used for a long time. It still works, but I don't know if they are still in business. Easy on and off, you just tilt it up to turn it on, then up again to turn off. Found lots of stuff with that pointer

The Minelab Pro-find 35 is supposed to differentiate between ferrous and nonferrous targets. That sounds like a nice feature, any one here that uses one?

The Minelab Pro-find 35 is supposed to differentiate between ferrous and nonferrous targets. That sounds like a nice feature, any one here that uses one?

I had the Pro-Find 35, but found it to perform about the same as the Garrett Carrot. I sold the 35 b/c it was harder to mod than the Garrett Carrot.

As for hte ferrous v nonferrous feature, I never used it and the sounds were too similar for my ears, anyways.

Im looking for a decent pinpointer that i can use to search when searching in the hole that detects more than a few inches down.
Good plan to get a decent pinpointer, at a lower pricepoint than the most expensive ones. The previous suggestions should give you some ideas. At the top right of this website is a link to the FMDF's sponsors. They are a good place to shop around.
Whatever you get, don't expect it to detect "more than a few inches down". A pinpointer should only detect within a few inches, so it can actually "pinpoint" with precision. It is helpful to be able to adjust it higher for those tough to find targets, but mostly you want to limit the range, so you can tell exactly what part of the hole your metal is hiding in. Make sense?

I too am in the market for a good pinpointer. I just got a Vanquish 540 ProPack. I remember reading that some detectors and pinpointers don't get along, but I don't remember which ones.

I got a Minelab Pro Find 20 bundled with my Nox and took it out a couple of times to see if i liked it better than my Garrett Carrot but it seemed much less powerful. Considered selling it but kept it as a backup.

I have a Vibra-probe 580 that I used for a long time. It still works, but I don't know if they are still in business. Easy on and off, you just tilt it up to turn it on, then up again to turn off. Found lots of stuff with that pointer

I still have one as well...probably 10 years old...still going strong!

I like my Garrett Carrot. One can change the sensitivity. I like to start out in max sensitivity and decrease to better pinpoint the target. Or you can increase it if you are not finding the target. I have used the older black garrett and they worked good but the carrot is an improvement. Garrett can not be beat when it comes to customer service.

I currently use the F-Pulse and love it. FWIW, I still have a couple of GP-Pointers that served me well and they still work just fine. I use them for loaners and backups. Can't beat 'em for $35.

I used my new ProFind 35 yesterday and was thrilled at its performance. I found that the minimum sensitivity setting (vibrates at about an inch to inch and a half from the targer) is pretty much the optimum setting for the way I like to hunt. I turned off the audio tone and did not choose to use the ferrous tone option. I bought Minelab's package deal at $129 - which included the pinpointer, a finds pouch, and a decent digging tool.

I think it's definitely worth the investment and should work well for years to come!

Back
Top Bottom