• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New to forum but not detecting

Graysailor

You guys will laugh, but I got my first detector in 1972 or 3 - still have it. You know the one - the blue one - what Sears or something? I also have the bucket of coins and tokens I found with it. Nothing fabulous. Probably the best was a half dollar - lots of silver dimes and quarters however. And some old 'box' locks and horse tack. Central Arkansas - and before I could drive. I did pick up an old Bounty Hunter Red Baron (I think it is) about 15 years ago but didn't do much with it. But getting ready to retire, been watching youtubers and getting ramped up! I like the Hoover Boys - and I used to watch Deep Digger Dan - not sure where's he gone though. Looking at a Equinox 800 and a nice pointer. And tips, lol. I tried an old house site last weekend with the old Bounty - got 20 nails, some kind of pipe, a double headed axe. Oh well. Need to relearn the coin hunting techniques.

welcome.

800 a very versatile detector. It will do most things really good, and some things very good. But it is a hot chatty machine. In modern trashy areas (pop tops, pull tabs, screw caps, can slaw it can be a chatty challenge.

It depends on the type of hunting you will do.

Relic hunting in iron trash very good.
beach hunting, very good.
coin hunting pretty good when using 4kHz frequency.
Nice variety of coils, especially the Coiltek 10 x 5"
if you have good hearing then hunt in 50 tones.
if you have some hearing loses 50 tones can be a challenge.

down side:

known to leak, so buy a new one with a warranty.
shaft is cheap, so budget some $$ for a carbon fiber shaft from Steve's detector rods.
can be difficult to learn, so stay in the different standard modes, park, field, beach, gold.

has had a nice price increase.

ditch the wireless earphones and buy some good ones.

Maybe start with the Vanquish 540 and then in a year or so if needed graduate to the 800.

I have owned the Vanquish 540, 440, Nox 800 and now CTX3030.

Welcome to the forum. I am visiting NE Arkansas for the holiday. Just dug up a lead sinker at my brother-in-law's farm. He was surprised, said he used to make them at work years ago.

You guys will laugh, but I got my first detector in 1972 or 3 - still have it. You know the one - the blue one - what Sears or something? I also have the bucket of coins and tokens I found with it. Nothing fabulous. Probably the best was a half dollar - lots of silver dimes and quarters however. And some old 'box' locks and horse tack. Central Arkansas - and before I could drive. I did pick up an old Bounty Hunter Red Baron (I think it is) about 15 years ago but didn't do much with it. But getting ready to retire, been watching youtubers and getting ramped up! I like the Hoover Boys - and I used to watch Deep Digger Dan - not sure where's he gone though. Looking at a Equinox 800 and a nice pointer. And tips, lol. I tried an old house site last weekend with the old Bounty - got 20 nails, some kind of pipe, a double headed axe. Oh well. Need to relearn the coin hunting techniques.

Nice intro. We like hearing from the "old timers" with a bucket of silver coins and stuff; found with the old timer machines! Getting a new machine should up your game some, but just don't expect it to be like the glory days. The Equinox 600 is about $300 cheaper than the 800. Something to consider.
Welcome to the friendly, and GL & HH!

Welcome from Connecticut, via winter in SoCal, hey Greysailor what sort of boat have you? I’ve got a 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull # 17,

The Nox 800 is a good machine by all accounts, you might consider the new Nokta legend when it actually hits retail, that should be soon ish, happy hunting 👍

I would consider the double headed axe a good find.
Welcome back to the hobby!
A few months ago we decided to peruse it more seriously because of recent developments in the technology.

welcome.

800 a very versatile detector. It will do most things really good, and some things very good. But it is a hot chatty machine. In modern trashy areas (pop tops, pull tabs, screw caps, can slaw it can be a chatty challenge.

It depends on the type of hunting you will do.

Relic hunting in iron trash very good.
beach hunting, very good.
coin hunting pretty good when using 4kHz frequency.
Nice variety of coils, especially the Coiltek 10 x 5"
if you have good hearing then hunt in 50 tones.
if you have some hearing loses 50 tones can be a challenge.

down side:

known to leak, so buy a new one with a warranty.
shaft is cheap, so budget some $$ for a carbon fiber shaft from Steve's detector rods.
can be difficult to learn, so stay in the different standard modes, park, field, beach, gold.

has had a nice price increase.

ditch the wireless earphones and buy some good ones.

Maybe start with the Vanquish 540 and then in a year or so if needed graduate to the 800.

I have owned the Vanquish 540, 440, Nox 800 and now CTX3030.
Thanks for the great information. I will probably do a mix of coin and relic since I'm a bazillion miles from the beach (Central Arkansas). And this forum is friendly for sure - lots of nice replies. I copied your suggestions down and put them on my shopping list.

Yep - actually still have the bucket - actually a gallon sized metal can - held some kind of english crackers mom used to love back in the 70's. I never did anything with my coin and small interesting finds but chunk them into it - so it's half full of wheaties, nickles, etc. Some old tokens, even a couple of Little Rock Streetcar tokens (I really thought those were cool finds). I guess I need to compile my 'top finds' list so I can fit in! I found some other old axe heads when I was a kid and have been thinking about restoring one to use - using the electrolysis method of getting the rust off - but now it needs to be ground. Youtube has all the answers it seems. I took photos of my antiques and will post them. I made about $1800 on Loopring crypto in 20 days and just sold it - so there's my 'seed money'. I think crypto is a fad/ponzi but so is fiat - I'm hoping to find more of the real stuff. But I will still not mind making profit off it when I can.

Recent developments - I am interested!

I would consider the double headed axe a good find.
Welcome back to the hobby!
A few months ago we decided to peruse it more seriously because of recent developments in the technology.

I found your comment interesting since I'm shopping for new tools and just getting back into the hobby after, uh - a 50 year absence. So literally it's ALL new to me, lol. But what things would you consider ground breaking (pun!) Do you have any detector and/or other hardware that you think is head and shoulders above everything else? I have about $1400 budgeted, but could go more if necessary - I was just kind of wanting something decently light, easy to work, good for relic/coins, but good quality. With wireless headphones. And maybe two coils. That's about all I know to even think about. Is there a good magazine or other references out there I should check out? Summers here are terrible so I would like to get something before June for sure.

Back
Top Bottom