Could I use a 6" Equinox coil on a Vanquish 540?

swiftsword

I very much want a 6" coil, which isn't available for my Vanquish 540.
I keep hearing that the Vanquish has the same tech as the equinox series, just fewer options. If that's the case, could I use an Equinox coil on my Vanquish?
I would expect the result to be wonky, but would it work at all? Would it be usable? Has anyone tried?

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it'll work because the Vanquish coils have been confirmed not to work on the Equinox.

The coil connections are not the same, not even close. If there has been an aftermarket “patch” adapter made for this I don’t know about it. Personally, I like the Vanquish 8” coil better than the Equinox 6”.

swiftsword: said:
I very much want a 6" coil, which isn't available for my Vanquish 540.
I keep hearing that the Vanquish has the same tech as the equinox series, just fewer options. If that's the case, could I use an Equinox coil on my Vanquish?
I would expect the result to be wonky, but would it work at all? Would it be usable? Has anyone tried?
No, even with the same shared connector the Equinox and Vanquish would not share coils. That's what I was told in a conversation with Minelab folks in Aussieland.

Also, they both feature a Multi-IQ function, but they are different. Again, that's from what I was told.

I had an Equinox 800 and 6" DD coil. It was okay. But personally, like jmaclen, I prefer the 5X8 DD that I had with the V-540's. I wish they had that coil for the Equinox models.

Monte

Thank you for your advice!

Monte, that's encouraging to hear; I think I'll get the 8" coil and see how that goes!

When I got the Equinox I promptly plugged the coil into my CTX. And it promptly said “No thanks” and shut off.:lol: They’re smart. Even if they were to have the same connectors it ain’t gonna happen. Minelab will make sure of that…:yes:

Monte, that's encouraging to hear; I think I'll get the 8" coil and see how that goes!

I prefer the small Vanquish coil over the Equinox 6 inch coil too. Might be because of my lack of experience.

swiftsword: said:

Search coil selection is based on three things:

• The type of site you're hunting.
• The amount of trash, debris or dense brush you are going to be dealing with.
• And the circuitry design and performance abilities of both the detector used and the coil attached to it.

I have some friends (two I believe it is) who do not own a smaller-size coil, and one doesn't even own a mid-size coil. They just use the modern over-size 'standard' coil or an accessory or after-market bigger coil. The hunt beaches, wide-open parks, and private grassy yards. The tell me they have no use for smaller-size coil because they very seldom hunt trashy sites, encounter very few Iron Nails or other ferrous debris, and are just fine with the performance they get.

If that description fits the types of places you regularly search, then you might not need an extra coil. However .....

I have an uncountable number of detecting buddies and other friends who make sure they have a smaller-size coil and a mid-size coil in their outfit to best handle the very bad Iron debris cluttered sites, hunt around building rubble and demo sites, and deal with a lot of sagebrush, dense weeds, and brushy, challenging wooded areas where those smaller-sized coils are a must-have.

If that fits the hunting you might tackle, then you have two options:

1.. Get a smaller size coi for the detector you'll use.
-
-
OR
-
-
2. Select a different detector and appropriate coil for those types of conditions.

NO detector is perfect and some detectors might serve a person well for many applications, but not be the best pick for a different set of challenging tasks. That's why I have maintained a Defector Outfit of 2-or-more detectors since late 1971. From early '65 until then I did okay where I hunted with one detector at a time, but as detector designs started to improve, and different features/functions came available, and internal search coil changes were frequent, I had to adapt in order to be best outfitted for where I got out to hunt.

I have, at various times, owned a big assortment (collection??) of detectors. Sometimes in exc4ss of 22 or 23 of them, but today I have trimmed my detector group to 4 older detectors I have for display and use in my seminars to demonstrate what we used t have and how we got to where we are today, and only 5 models for my personal, day-to-day detecting. Naturally it is always subject to change if I add something new, different and with a useful purpose for my needs.

And because I devote the vast majority of my time hunting trashier sites, bushier locations, or working close to pipes, poles and metal structures, all but one of my detectors has a smaller-size coil, such as a 5" or 6", or a mid-sized coil, like the 5X8 DD or 5X9½ DD mounted full-time. Only one detector has a bigger-size coil mounted that I make use of for wide-open area, plowed fields, or a freshwater beach. That is a Garrett Apex w/8½X11 DD 'Raider' coil.

I like the 5X8 DD on a Vanquish or 6" DD on an Equinox for typical Coin & Jewelry Hunting, and I like the depth and VDI read-out at mid-depth to deeper those models can provide. But I already have detectors I like, better, for average daily detecting, and when it comes to tackling very Iron contaminated places, I have models and coils that I prefer over the Vanquish and Equinox, regardless of which coil those two have to offer.

But we are all different in what we might or might not like, and if you want a smaller-size coil for a particular detector you own, then for an EQ get the 6" round DD, or for the V-540 go with their 5X8 DD.

Monte

My 8" coil came on Wednesday. I've taken it out twice so far, for a couple of hours each. I really like this coil. The resolution in my trashy park is much better; instead of a wall of sound, I get discrete signals. It's much less prone to chatter as well, so I could crank the sensitivity up all the way. This let me recognize some weak tones that were masked before. As a result I got deeper finds, older coins, more nickels. Still no silver though [emoji30]
97f348652cd09834b8ff23ee8b16c4c8.jpg

267cd845e105512e5f1afc0c9ee31319.jpg

The V8 is a really nice coil and it's what I use on the Vanquish 340.

No silver, but it looks like you're headed in the right direction with all that clad you're finding!

Hehe, yeah, someone must have exploded a piggy bank in my local park :)

In the last couple of months, I've pulled well over 500 coins from there. I found two silver rings as well, but no silver coins. My hypothesis is that someone pounded that park in the eighties or nineties. There is no shortage of pennies and nickels from the forties to the sixties, but every single quarter and dime I've found are 65 and up. It's gotten quite frustrating, actually. I hope the new coil will let me find something good eventually!

Sorry, just saw your reply now! The silver did come shortly after I got the new coil, a 45 Merc! I've hunted a few other places since and got two more silvers and a silver/opal ring :)

I've never been happy with the 6" coil for the Equinox. Some people are though. It has it's uses in tight places, and would never say anything bad about someone trying to eek out a few more finds with it in a place they have been over already with the 11".

I think the Coiltek 10"x5" is decent. I like it better than the Minelab 6"

You have to admit the 11" stock coil is a utterly fantastic coil for it's size when it comes to separation. Is it the detector or the coil? Who knows, but it works way better than it should in iron or modern trash.

My 8" coil came on Wednesday. I've taken it out twice so far, for a couple of hours each. I really like this coil. The resolution in my trashy park is much better; instead of a wall of sound, I get discrete signals. It's much less prone to chatter as well, so I could crank the sensitivity up all the way. This let me recognize some weak tones that were masked before. As a result I got deeper finds, older coins, more nickels. Still no silver though [emoji30]
97f348652cd09834b8ff23ee8b16c4c8.jpg

267cd845e105512e5f1afc0c9ee31319.jpg

I've been considering the V8, you sold me!!

Bart...

Back
Top Bottom