Found a short sword

MSCguy

Yesterday I detected a spot I have hit a few times last year, then earlier this spring. It has history because it is on a limestone bluff overlooking the Hudson River. It was a natural travel corridor for thousands of years, then again when the Europeans settled the area.

I've had a decent amount of time in and have been disappointed. Until yesterday. Got a signal that jumped around from 15 to 25 on the Equinox 800. Not a signal I would like most places, but in this area I try to dig most everything.

The soil here is a top layer of dark, pungent, earthy smelling dirt, which is the decayed leaves, then a light grey color clay with a fine gravel mixed in. Most metal objects only sink down to the clay layer, which is only 1 - 4 inches down.
Dug down and uncovered what looked to be a knife blade, right on top of the clay layer. Roots growing around the blade made it tough to extract.

Keep digging and thought, "Wow, this could be a bayonet." Kept digging and my jaw dropped.
picture.php

picture.php

These are the markings on the brass section by the handguard.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I have no idea how old it is, or anything else about it. The spot is near a vantage point where an observer could watch a stretch of about 10 miles down river. Found a pretty toasted V nickel not far away, but can make out a 1905 date. Good day, for sure.

Would appreciate your thoughts on what this could be.

I see some of the photos are sized strangely, will try to fix that.

Pics are gone

I'm trying to understand what is going on here. I log out and back in, go to this thread and I see photos in posts #1, 2, 4, and 5. I freely admit it could be me, but this site seems strange in the way it handles photos.
Does anybody else not see any photos?

It looks pretty cool that will look very nice on the wall or in a display case.

no pix for me

This appears to be an issue for the site admins. Some people see photos, some don't. I would suggest those who see nothing, try going to my albums( as in MSCguy albums ), and click on the "short sword? " album. See if you can see photos from there.

I used the link in the album in the post in the thread.

I'm trying to understand what is going on here. I log out and back in, go to this thread and I see photos in posts #1, 2, 4, and 5. I freely admit it could be me, but this site seems strange in the way it handles photos.
Does anybody else not see any photos?

I see them just fine on my computer, using the Safari browser.

Looks Chinese. Might be worth consulting an expert on that one. Thats got museum find written all over it. Pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you to all who have responded and let me know I'm not losing my mind with the photos! :lol:

I agree those symbols have an Asian look to them.

What is a good way to preserve the sword? Obviously, there is serious corrosion. All I have done so far is to lightly brush it to remove loose dirt.

Trying to find a way to stabilize without doing any harm.

What cool find!! If you ever find out the history of it, please post an update. I’d love to hear the story behind it.

Back
Top Bottom