1877-CC Dime to go with Seated Half and Quarter

Chris(SoCenWI)

Hello All,

I went back to where I found the 1876 Seated Half last week. Only find today was this 1877-CC dime. So for year have one of three different denominations. It would be nice to pop out a Seated Half Dime before the year is up. Don't think a Seated dollar is likely. I don't recall in all my twenty years looking at finds in different forums that I've ever seen anyone post a Seated Dollar. Anybody remember one?

This is my 5th CC mint mark; just looked through my records and found out it is the second 1877-CC dime. The other is in much better condition than this one.

I was going to take a picture of the reverse side and paste obverse and reverse photos together, but need to learn a new photo editing software to do so. Maybe tomorrow.

Happy Hunting

Chris(SoCenWI)

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 533
Your second 1877 Seated dime ? Wow, sweet save. Seems you're on a seated roll. Who knows, could be a seated dollar in there somewhere. Good luck, Mark

Awesome find! Sounds like you're on a roll!

I've only found one seated coin in nine years of detecting - seems like they're few and far between these days.

congrats! I have found many seated coins(more than most people have), I too have not found a seated dollar. I am convinced they are a myth haha

I have never seen or known anyone to find a seated dollar. Nice finds man!

You're on a roll with seated coins; congrats! Now hurry up and go find your seated half dime, 20 ¢, and dollar to complete your set! :mder: :detector:

Nice digs. Congrats.

I guess I can't really recall seeing a seated dollar posted here either. I have seen a guy post a trade dollar on here a while back.
I also have the half dime, half dollar, and dime and quarter.....sure would love to complete the set , but as wolf just pointed out, even if we scored the dollar theres still that pesky 20......
Btw, for pictures you can just use the paint app that is on almost all computers. Thats all I've used for the most part.
Congrats again, and good luck harvesting more seated coins from your magical spot.

Silver Dollar

I dug a first year Morgan Dollar a few years back. It was worn a lot. I was lucky enough to dig a Peace Dollar a few days ago. It was about nine inches deep in real hard, dry dirt. It was the only silver coin we found in that 1920's house back yard. We did pull about 20 wheaties though. The NOX 800 (my buddy's) went over it, but I detected it with my E-Trac. ;) My NOX 800 is in the shop, it went swimming and leaked. For those of you who are interested, I've been picking up silver coins with the E-Trac where I've hunted with my NOX. I think I'm glad my NOX went down, cause the E-Trac, when programed for deep silver, is awesome.
HH everyone

I dug a first year Morgan Dollar a few years back. It was worn a lot. I was lucky enough to dig a Peace Dollar a few days ago. It was about nine inches deep in real hard, dry dirt. It was the only silver coin we found in that 1920's house back yard. We did pull about 20 wheaties though. The NOX 800 (my buddy's) went over it, but I detected it with my E-Trac. ;) My NOX 800 is in the shop, it went swimming and leaked. For those of you who are interested, I've been picking up silver coins with the E-Trac where I've hunted with my NOX. I think I'm glad my NOX went down, cause the E-Trac, when programed for deep silver, is awesome.
HH everyone

Not to digress from the OPs thread, but did your buddy's Nox detect the Peace dollar when he swung over it? It would be odd if it didnt. Ive dug silver halves in the 8-10" range that rang up beautifully, so for it to miss a big silver target like that would be disturbing.

Yes

Not to digress from the OPs thread, but did your buddy's Nox detect the Peace dollar when he swung over it? It would be odd if it didnt. Ive dug silver halves in the 8-10" range that rang up beautifully, so for it to miss a big silver target like that would be disturbing.

Yes. My buddy is still kinda learning, and I was trying to show him how I metal detect. I was detecting behind my friend, going over the areas he had already detected. When I got the deep signal, before I started digging, I called him back over to see if he could detect it. He started swinging, and finally got the signal, but he said, "I got it, but it's in a tiny spot". I explained to him, in the case of deep silver, it usually is in a small window. The NOX 800 came up with 37/38 numbers. My E-Trac numbers were off, but not the high chirp, so I dug. If I was using my NOX 800, I think I would have found the target? I like the E-Trac though, because when swinging, I'm listening for a high chirp, then I investigate the the depth and numbers. Of coarse, it could have been a clad dime at ten inches, but I'm digging. Funny thing though, we dug at least twenty wheat pennies, and that dollar was the only silver coin, in that back yard. The yard was all dirt, no grass, and very dry and hard as a rock.
We both had shovels. It would have been to difficult to dig that deep with a small hand digger. Front yard was all decorative rock.

Where is the mint mark on this coin? I found an 1857 - my first half-dime a while back (and haven't detected much since) :(

Mine has no mint mark and further reading shows for this year it would either have the "O" or no mint mark, thus mine was minted in Philly...

Carry on.
As you were.
:)

Bobac,

Just did a little reading. Sounds like the silver value of Seated Dollars was worth more than the face value in the early 50's, and most of them were used overseas. I forgot about the 20 cent piece. I think I've seen two or three of those found over the years.

Chris

Seated Coin Break down.

I just did a break down. I've been detecting with a Minelab Explorer XS since 2001. I detected a lot as a kid with Compass detectors, but only found one seated back then.

51 Seated total:

4 half dimes
39 dimes
6 quarters
2 halves

7 S mintmark
5 CC mintmark
2 O

A few are so worn it is difficult to discern if there is a mintmark, or even the date.

Chris(SoCenWI)

Nice going I’ve only found 2 seated coins so far both1877. One was a 1877 half and the other 1877-S quarter. The half was the first one I found and I put it in a bezel for conversation purposes. Not the best looking coin but my first. Best of luck on more seated.

Had trouble sending the picture

Attachments

• 7E2EF8DF-4ECA-4172-B4D5-0262FBBF324C.jpeg
    7E2EF8DF-4ECA-4172-B4D5-0262FBBF324C.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 173
Back
Top Bottom