Sebastian Inlet Trip coming up

Bioheat1969

Happy New year everyone. After months and months of double shifts plus additional over time due to the pandemic, my wife and I are planning a few days in Florida in April. She was doing a little research on where we were going to stay, and stumbled across an on-line story about the 1715 fleet, and the treasure coast. That story got her, she decided we were going to Sebastian Inlet, and bringing the metal detector.
First let me say this is a trip strictly for fun, we are:
A) NOT expecting to actually find anything.
B) We know they replenish the beaches with sand.
C) We know the best chances if you are going to find anything are after a big storm.

So all that being said, I have questions, since I've never done any salt beach hunting before. I use a Minelab X-Terra with a stock DD coil, how careful of the water do I have to be with the coil?
Is there much difference from field hunting and beach hunting?
I don't currently have a sand scoop, and the wife wants one, any recommendations on a travel scoop that can break down for luggage?
Does anyone have any recommendations on the parts of the beach to spend our time, we were looking to search the shell line and base of the dunes, is that the correct strategy to take?

I appreciate any advise given, thanks in advance.
Harvey

Last edited:
Happy New year everyone. After months and months of double shifts plus additional over time due to the pandemic, my wife and I are planning a few days in Florida in April. She was doing a little research on where we were going to stay, and stumbled across an on-line story about the 1715 fleet, and the treasure coast. That story got her, she decided we were going to Sebastian Inlet, and bringing the metal detector.
First let me say this is a trip strictly for fun, we are:
A) NOT expecting to actually find anything.
B) We know they replenish the beaches with sand.
C) We know the best chances if you are going to find anything are after a big storm.

So all that being said, I have questions, since I've never done any salt beach hunting before. I use a Minelab X-Terra with a stock DD coil, how careful of the water do I have to be with the coil?
Is there much difference from field hunting and beach hunting?
I don't currently have a sand scoop, and the wife wants one, any recommendations on a travel scoop that can break down for luggage?
Does anyone have any recommendations on the parts of the beach to spend our time, we were looking to search the shell line and base of the dunes, is that the correct strategy to take?

I appreciate any advise given, thanks in advance.
Harvey

1. people have found 1715 treasures along the treasure coast on the beach.
2. if they are replenishing sand from further deeper in the surf, that could be a good thing. They could easily be bring treasures up on the beach.
3. Get clive clynick's book on rings and beach hunting.
Clive's Gold Page http://www.clivesgoldpage.com contact him and tell him where you are going and he will tell you which book is best for beach hunting tips.

Two wrecks in that area:

WRECK NAME: Bent Anchor Site
NEAREST CITY: Sebastion, FL
BEACH ACCESS LOCATION: 27 54.091 N, 80 28.275W
BEACH ACCESS LOCATION FOR GOOGLE MAPS: Bonsteel Park Florida
DIRECTIONS FROM BEACH ACCESS LOCATION: From the Bonsteel Park parking lot, go down the ramp
and then turn left then go north 578 feet up the beach and you will be at the beach hunt location. The
wreck is offshore about 560 feet. Searching the shore 200 feet north and south of this hunt location is
your best bet.
APPROXIMATE BEACH HUNT LOCATION: 27 54.181N, 80 28.246W
WATER LOCATION OF WRECK: 27 54.200, N 80 28.150W
REPORTED FINDS: Spanish cob coins, small Reales
NOTES: This beach is also known as Half-Reale Beach after a large number of Spanish cob coins found
here directly behind the Old Chuck's Steak House site. This wreck is to be reported to have no central
core, but wreckage and artifacts scattered over a large area.

WRECK NAME: Pines Wreck
NEAREST CITY: Sebastion, FL
BEACH ACCESS LOCATION: 27°51'9.92"N, 80°26'40.44"W
BEACH ACCESS LOCATION FOR GOOGLE MAPS: Sebastian Inlet
DIRECTIONS FROM BEACH ACCESS LOCATION: From the end of the middle boardwalk down to the beach
from the parking lot, turn right and go 798 feet south down the beach.
APPROXIMATE BEACH HUNT LOCATION: 27 51.007N, 80 26.522W and 27 50.460N, 80 26.236W
WATER LOCATION OF WRECK: n/a
REPORTED FINDS: Spanish coins and artifacts
NOTES: There is some confusion about the beach hunt location so searching this 3,500 foot area
between the north and south beach hunt location is your best bet. You may also want to hunt 200 feet
north of the north location and 200 feet south of the south hunt location.

Hope this is useful. From one of my books I wrote on the 1715 Treasure coast wrecks.

Thank you very much for the information this is very helpful it's really appreciated I will look into Clive's book as well and reach out to him so that we can find out some more information. By the way, what is the title of your book on the 1715 wrecks?

The X-terra coil is waterproof but the mineralization of a salt beach will most likely limit you to the dry sand.
Sounds like a fun trip, hope you find some treasure!

The X-terra coil is waterproof but the mineralization of a salt beach will most likely limit you to the dry sand.
You are not allowed to detect in the water on some of the Florida beaches. Just check before you enter the water.

Thanks, didn't know the coil was waterproof. What do you mean by the mineralization?
I think it'll be fun, we're looking forward to it.

Thanks, didn't know the coil was waterproof. What do you mean by the mineralization?
I think it'll be fun, we're looking forward to it.

The X terra is a single frequency detector and the wet salt and other minerals will confuse it and make the detector very loud and unstable, Multi frequency detectors like the Equinox or Excalibur will control that.
Hopefully someone smarter than myself can chime in with some technical data as to why this happens.
Should be more than ok in the dry sand though,The X-terra is otherwise an excellent machine, I used a 705 before buying an Equinox and I loved it.
Best of luck On your treasure hunt but most of all have a great vacation!

just curious what beaches are those? only ones I can think of may be federal or state parks on the beach.
I do not know the names of each of those beaches. Perhaps some of the Florida members could chime in. I did find this on one site on the internet.

In most cases, discovering ancient gold on a public beach in Florida is a lucky windfall to the finder. In the United States., finders are keepers when it comes to old coins and other antiquated "treasure trove" items. Additionally, under Florida state regulations, metal detecting and other forms of searching are allowed between the edge of the dunes and the high tide mark on public beaches. Searching the dunes and the water is prohibited, however. On beaches that belong to state or federal parks, sanctuaries, preserves or military installations, check with the park rangers or property managers before searching the sand. At the same time, ask who keeps any items found in case removing them isn't allowed. On private property, always ask permission of the owner before entering the land, or trespass laws apply.

I also found this site which also mentions that and talks about some if the beaches.

https://sunlightliving.com/best-beaches-in-florida-to-metal-detect/

....On beaches that belong to state or federal parks, sanctuaries, preserves or military installations, check with the park rangers...

Go ahead and do that in Florida all you want. Be sure to mention "dig" and "take" and "treasure" and "Indian bone" (lest they not understand the full implications of your question).

But here in CA, I hope no one follows this admonition . Hoping that persons don't perpetually waltz into state beach offices here (which is most of our coastline) asking "Can I ? " Lest this "pressing question" eventually make its way to a state archaeologist's desk. And then ...... presto : Another law will be born. :roll:

Go ahead and do that in Florida all you want. Be sure to mention "dig" and "take" and "treasure" and "Indian bone" (lest they not understand the full implications of your question).

But here in CA, I hope no one follows this admonition . Hoping that persons don't perpetually waltz into state beach offices here (which is most of our coastline) asking "Can I ? " Lest this "pressing question" eventually make its way to a state archaeologist's desk. And then ...... presto : Another law will be born. :roll:

Hi Tom, I've read many of the posts that were either from you or "towards" you, for lack of a better term, regarding ask and don't ask and believe me, I completely agree with your thoughts on the issue. Same way as I agree with the "Judged by Twelve" quote. I was trying to show him the part that said "Searching the dunes and the water is prohibited", not the part that said "ask". I do not know all the laws regarding Florida beaches so I was just trying to give him a heads up regarding detecting in the water.

... so I was just trying to give him a heads up regarding detecting in the water.

thanx for the kind reply. And yes, there's nothing any of us can do about past tense. I realize.

As far as going forward, for any laws/rules that exist, that might apply to us : There's hardly an agency of any level these days, that doesn't have all their park / beach /land rules on-line. Eg.: Dogs on leash, no fireworks, blah blah . That's where I would look. Not go asking rangers.

JMHO

Well, I appreciate all that was said, let me just chime in here, I wasn't planning on detecting in the water. On the treasure coast, from what I've found in my research, the in water salvage rights belong to others, and I don't have any interest in paying fines, going to jail or having my rig confiscated. I really want to stay on topic here, I'm planning on staying on the beach, the only reason I asked about the coil being waterproof was in case I have a wave wash in and hit the coil.

Not go asking rangers.

JMHO

If I see a worker, groundskeeper, maintenance guy, lifeguard, etc, looking at me like they're going to question me, I usually just give them a wave and continue on like I'm supposed to be there. Many times they just wave back and continue on, maybe figuring I have permission from someone higher up. If by chance they do confront me, I just explain to them the pros of having us detecting. Usually explaining and showing them how much trash, (including sharp pieces of metal and sometimes broken glass), we clean up to make the area safer for people and kids, they're usually fine with it.

.... I wasn't planning on detecting in the water. ..

.... in case I have a wave wash in and hit the coil.

AAAaaahhh, but don't you know that if a wave slaps up around your ankles, and (gasp) your coil got covered with water, that : PRESTO : That would qualify as "detecting in the water". Thus : Immediately armed commando rangers would surround you !

And then, as you say, you'd then be "....paying fines, going to jail or having my rig confiscated...." Tsk tsk. :police:

But seriously now : Find something cool and post the show & tell ! :cool3:

That's a pretty nice scoop, kind of pricey though.
It may be pricey but to me the benefits of buying better products is worth it. I still have 2 aluminum scoops that I had purchased before upgrading to the Stealth. Maybe you could mention any certain scoops that you are considering. Besides your Florida trip, you should also consider if you plan on doing a lot of beach detecting which could help you decide on which scoop to purchase. Most of my detecting is on the beach. My first scoop was homemade out of a plastic coffee jug. It worked until I could purchase a real scoop.

I have detected the Florida East Coast beaches quite a bit. I have seen detectorists in the dry sand detecting (not the dunes), wet sand, in the water. The truth is just try detecting in the east coast waves in chest deep water one time and that will show you why you rarely see detectorists in anything but knee deep water and maybe waist high water. Try recovering your target in waist deep water with waves.

Never have seen any official or even heard of any official type get on to detectorists in the east coast beaches that are not state or federal parks. Lots of beaches in Florida.

Just go on your vacation and metal detect anywhere but on the dunes. It is extremely unlikely that you will have any trouble. If you see other detectorists hunting where you are hunting you can bet it is ok to hunt. Florida is not in the businesses of harassing tourists. Dog's on the beach, well that is another matter all together.

Back
Top Bottom