Share your experience with different detectors

metalman329

I’ve been detecting for about 12 years…. Still poor, LOL!

Anyhow, I’ve owned a bunch of different Detectors. Here’s a list of them and my comments on each. I’d be interested in YOUR experiences as well.

Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 - yard sale find $10. Found enough cool stuff to Get me interested in the hobby. Good cheap machine. Can’t bash it at all.

Bounty Hunter Quick Silver - not anywhere near as good as the Discovery 2200. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Garrett AT Gold - FANTASTIC completely waterproof machine! FAVORITE MACHINE to date. Probably the most underrated machine on the market.

Fisher F2 - yard sale find $35. Crappy machine, shallow depths only.

Garrett AT Pro - OK, but doesn’t compare to the AT Gold. Sounds are not as pleasing to the ear as the AT Gold, either.

Minelab Excalibur II - Expensive machine without VDI display and has cheap knobs. Very delicate machine that must be babied. Works fantastic in Salt Water, but way overkill unless you are a Diver. A Vanquush 440 or 550 will do just as well in Wet Salt Sand for a fraction of the price and will give you digital VDI. Just can’t dunk the control box under water.

Tesoro Sand Shark - nice PI machine for Salt Water use, but lacks VDI and discrimination of iron. Company is now out of business.

Makro Multi-Kruzer - very noisy/chattery machine that was advertised to be able to detect on Salt Water beaches but was WAY TOO FALSY for that. Was also supposed to be completely waterproof, but mine took on water and died the very first time that it was submerged. RETURNED FOR REPAIR UNDER WARRANTY then immediately SOLD it.

Nokta Makro Simplex+ - GREAT MACHINE! Fully submersible, has collapsible shaft, backlit Display, Digital VDI, Wireless Headphones, CAN actually be tuned to use in Wet Sand and Salt Water fairly well. CHEAP! MOST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK, BAR NONE! Built like a TANK. High quality. SECOND favorite machine to my AT Gold.

Minelab Go Find 22 - ok for kids, but to be honest, there are better made Chinese machines out there for less money. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Minelab Vanquish 440 - GREAT MACHINE! Best Salt Water / wet sand Detector you can buy in the under $300 price range. Digital VDI, all terrain modes, submersible coil and shaft, collapsible shaft, not nearly as delicate as other Minelab machines.

My 2cents! How about you??

From personal experience:

Fisher F2 = a nice starter machine that'll do just fine in mild to moderate soil and in low to mid trash areas. It's an old machine and it's relatively cheap. 9V batteries are a pain, though.

Vanquish 340 = A Fisher F2 with MIQ, but has better ergonomic adjustability and uses AA batteries (yay!)

Vaquish 540 = All it needs is adjustable recovery speed, ground balancing and weatherproofing and it's almost an Equinox 600.

Garrett AT Max = The waterproof claims are actually true. Love the look and design of the machine, but it's a bit nose heavy with the stock coil. Suspectible to target masking and struggles in highly mineralized soils (just like any single frequency detector). The sounds it makes aren't the best and it's very twitchy/noisy, although the extra gain is nice to have when you're in EMI-quiet areas. All-metal mode is nice, too. Amazing coil selection. Garrett's customer service is supreme.

Tesoro Vaquero = Great for tot lots and those who have perfect pitch. Love the retro-futuristic look and Micromax design of the control box. Ground balancing is cumbersome and struggles in highly mineralized soils. Good selection of aftermarket coils.

Tesoro Cibola = Same thoughts as the Vaquero, but it lacks ground balancing (although a not-so-difficult mod is possible)

Equinox 600 = A great all around detector for practically any detecting scenario (highly mineralized ground, beach, relic, coin shooting and gold prospecting). Amazing recovery speed and plenty of adjustability (although neither are as much as the 800). Extra affordable now that people are selling off their Equinoxes. Waterproofing is up to debate and Minelab's customer/warranty service isn't as good as Garett's.

E-Trac = The ultimate silver coin hunter. Heavy as heck, but has great tones and plenty of tweaking is possible due to its programmable 2D discrimination. Its FBS tech isn't as fast or reliable in highly mineralized soils as an Equinox, but still holds its own in mineralized ground compared to single frequency machines. Amazing coil selection.

Started out with a Whites 4900D, no VDI but not really important at the time.

Then got a Whites MXT, the threshold drove me nuts but you could turn it off, or down enough. Really liked its depth capablility, found my deepest wheatie with it :) I still have the MXT.

Then got me an M6 and that machine was/is awesome. Very simple, rugged and if the VDI says zinc/clad penny 100% of the time it was. Still have it.

Had a coinmaster and prizm, Not much to say about those. :(

Then picked up a Equinox 600 and that really opened up alot, depth, alot lighter then previous detectors, rechargeable and wireless headphones wich is one of the the features I like the most. Obviously much newer technology than previous detectors.

:dancing:

Back
Top Bottom