Coin Ring tinting

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
For you fellow coin ring makers, how do you get that nice black tint that helps make the details stand out? Here is a 1963 Washington quarter I'm working on.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1963-qtr-1.jpg
    1963-qtr-1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 556
Working on learning the Swedish Wrap while I wait for my Liver of Sulfer. Makes the ring fatter.

Attachments

• 2015-dollar-sw-1.jpg
    2015-dollar-sw-1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 495
  • 2015-dollar-sw-2.jpg
    2015-dollar-sw-2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 496
  • 2015-dollar-sw-3.jpg
    2015-dollar-sw-3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 494
  • 2015-dollar-sw-4.JPG
    2015-dollar-sw-4.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Looking good detector! :yes: I'll eventually drop the cash on some good coin ring tools. They can get pricey for sure, keep up the great work!

Try regular ol' bleach. That is what I use on my silver coin rings and I like it a lot. Change you can wear did a YouTube video of the comparison of different methods and bleach and Liver Sulfur did about the same.

Last edited:
Try regular ol' bleach. That is what I use on my silver coin rings and I like it a lot. Change you can wear did a YouTube video of the comparison of different methods and bleach and Liver Sulfur did about the same.

Wonder if JAX Silver Darkener is just bleach without the bleach smell. I've used JAX and if=t works great. I've never heard that bleach does the same thing. Interesting.

I started using boiled eggs. Just put the rings in a Ziploc with a smashed-up boiled egg, and the sulfur will tone it. What I found is that after it is worn for a week or so the tone wears off anyway. I don't like selling a ring that looks all nice when I sell it, but a week or so later the tone is gone. Nopw I just do polished ones.

Here is a set I did for a husband & wife with boiled eggs.

Attachments

• Mark-Brenda-tones.jpg
    Mark-Brenda-tones.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom