Which detector is most "Tesoro-like"?

ArthurEvans

I've used an AT Pro for a while, and recently upgraded to an AT Max. Love them, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for all the noise.

I'm glad I have the Garretts for many, perhaps most, applications. But when I want to relax, and also find stuff, I swing my Tejón. It's kind of a zen thing, I guess - not sure I can explain it. Somehow I just feel more relaxed without the display, the buttons, and all the different tones.

Now that Tesoro is closed, I'm feeling pretty protective of the Tejón. So I don't want to take it everywhere. I had in mind a backup detector, something simple that I can break down and put into a pack or kayak or on the back of a bike, to take places where I don't want to risk the Tejón.

I was planning at some point to pick up a Vaquero or Cortes. I'd buy used, except I'd rather not buy sight-unseen. (If one pops up in my area, I'll be very interested.)

I was hoping to find a detector that gives a "Tesoro-like" experience. Ideally it would have a modest price, a single tone, and to the extent available, knobs over buttons. Any advice?

I've used an AT Pro for a while, and recently upgraded to an AT Max. Love them, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for all the noise.

I'm glad I have the Garretts for many, perhaps most, applications. But when I want to relax, and also find stuff, I swing my Tejón. It's kind of a zen thing, I guess - not sure I can explain it. Somehow I just feel more relaxed without the display, the buttons, and all the different tones.

Now that Tesoro is closed, I'm feeling pretty protective of the Tejón. So I don't want to take it everywhere. I had in mind a backup detector, something simple that I can break down and put into a pack or kayak or on the back of a bike, to take places where I don't want to risk the Tejón.

I was planning at some point to pick up a Vaquero or Cortes. I'd buy used, except I'd rather not buy sight-unseen. (If one pops up in my area, I'll be very interested.)

I was hoping to find a detector that gives a "Tesoro-like" experience. Ideally it would have a modest price, a single tone, and to the extent available, knobs over buttons. Any advice?

Whites, but maybe the older ones. There's also the harbor freight detector, you'll see why the thing is so UN-ergonomic. In this advanced world, that stuff is a bit hard to come by? And yes, a used Cortes might be your best shot at a "zen" metal detctor.

I know your feeling and I love my Whites Surf PI Pro. You will find Zen like I do.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Whites IDXPro. One of the most overlooked/under rated machines ever made....IF you are OK with a single tone and you understand CLEARLY that you will NOT get the accuracy that perhaps a simultaneous multi frequency machine can more readily provide. Heavier than a Tesoro for sure, that’s just about every machine though. Built to go through war. Discrimination is excellent. Tesoros and Whites Classics seemed to have much in common in the way they work. 6.59 kHz with frequency shift to dial out mild EMI. Modulated audio. For what you can buy one for (not mine) you can’t go wrong.

You may want to take a look at DeepTech machines. I have no personal experience with them, but those that have used them seem to really like them.

Check out the Golden Mask 4wd. It's a great machine - 12volt, multi tone, two frequencies, wireless headphones, rechargeable batteries. It's what the Tejon should have been.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks to all... You've given me some good ideas to think about.

@IDXMonster - just got into an Apex as a starter MF.

@HistoryStudent - Hey, that's great - never heard of those but I like the looks of them. Thanks!

@MuddyMo - dang, I just splashed out on the Apex! Gotta start saving those pennies again...

@Tahtsadatsago - thanks. Gee, Bulgaria really goes for the knobs, huh?

@DbblTap - someday - I hope to live nearer the shore!

Thanks again, all

He wanted something tesoro-like so he got a garrett apex. Huh?

Anyway, I hope he enjoys it. :)

DeepTech detectors from Bulgaria have been called "what Tesoro would have been if they hadn't gone under". And they really are powerful, deepseeking, knobby, analog control laden detectors. Probably not a great amount of support stateside, but still good stuff true to the legacy that Tesoro has left for others.

DeepTech detectors from Bulgaria have been called "what Tesoro would have been if they hadn't gone under". And they really are powerful, deepseeking, knobby, analog control laden detectors. Probably not a great amount of support stateside, but still good stuff true to the legacy that Tesoro has left for others.
I am very impressed by the quality and abilities of the machines coming out of Bulgaria right now. I have three Golden Mask detectors and I love them but they are very hard to get in the US - even more so now because of covid. I really want to get their new mobile PI detector but there's nowhere to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom