• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Disaster at the tiny cabin!

Huckleberry

Elite Member
We experienced very heavy rainfall Saturday night. :badrain: When this happens, I take a walk down to my bushcraft camp and check on things. Generally there is some cleanup to be done but any damage has been minimal. Not this time! By morning the flash flood had receded to being in the creek banks, but the damage was done. Going by the washed away forest debris, the water was at an all time high in the little creek.

The frog pond in front of the tiny cabin was completely trashed. The wood bench seat was splintered against the trees. The picnic tables were found lodged in some brush downstream and retrieved. The adirondack open faced shelter has a floor 24 inches above the ground and has a fair amount of sand inside. It is primarily used for storage. The water made it to the porch posts on the tiny cabin, but no further so there was no damage to the cabin or its contents.

The big loss was the bridge over the creek. Some of it is still on site albeit downstream from its original resting place. It had served its purpose well for 5 years but this flood was just too much for it. Until I get a new one built, I have to make a pretty good detour downstream to find a place to cross and then work my way back up to the camp.

I will rebuild. Bigger. Better. But at 62, it will take some time. I have a lead on some electric poles which will work out great as bridge beams, but as with all things camp related, getting them through the woods to the site will be a beast.

Here’s a link to a short video below after the creek was back in its banks. It does not do justice to the damage caused by the flood as I was unable to cross the creek at that time. I’m just grateful that there was no damage to the cabin.

https://youtu.be/MhRjRPdoAmE

GL and HH everyone! Find some cool stuff! I'll be busy for a while.

Wow, hope things go well with the restoration, glad the cabin was as high as it was, also glad you wasn't there at the time !

Here is a partial screen capture I copied from the video you shared:
hbcabin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom