Modifying my Harbor Freight Metal detector

Metal detecto

Elite Member
This has been on my bucket list for a while, modifying my HF9F metal detector. I know that it is almost surely a suicide mission for my trusty HF9F, but it paid for itself a while back with a crazy gold ring. Has anybody done this? I love all the other things in the HF9F but the handle is killing me, I have a wrist problem and this metal detector had the worst ergonomic grip of all. :laughing:

Here are the mods.

I want to make the grip kind of like the Garrett ace series grips.

I want to store the control box like a whites detector, with it on the back stock.

I want it to not look like a huge screwup :laughing:.

If anyone has any ideas on how to do this, please post bellow!

This is what I did with my HF9FMD. The control box could be mounted where ever you wanted. If I had it to do over again, I would have mounted the control box under the arm, but it is what it is, and works well enough. Once you get the circuitry removed from the cheap housing, improvise with available supplies, and build it the way you want it. Yard sales are a great source for crapped out detectors for a few bucks, and make a good source of parts. There are lots of mods out there for the HF9FMD. It's a fun project, and a way to stay busy with the hobby during the winter. And all in all, it makes a pretty decent little "beater" detector to have in the trunk for spur of the moment detecting.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=288473

Back
Top Bottom