factory resetting a detector after a coil change

oldkoot

Elite Member
here is the question that was posed to me with my response to them his question started me thinking

Hbot37 said:
What is the purpose of the factory reset after switching coils?

my response below

honestly I really cannot answer your question, when I was first starting out detecting the person that was teaching me said to do a factory reset if I switch to a different coil so I have always done a factory reset when I change coils I started out in 2009 and the person that was teaching me was from the metal detecting store I purchased my first detector from, I have also read it over the years by well known detectorist, It does not hurt anything in the detector so i just do it the way I was taught to do it

the above question was in reply to a thread I replied to on the Legend and my response to him

is it actually necessary to do a factory reset when switching to a different coil, every detector I have used I just did the factory reset because that is what I was taught to do when I first started detecting by someone I trusted knew what they were teaching me, but this question was posed to me and I could not really give a definitive answer to Hbot37s question so it got me to question the way I have always done things, when thinking about doing a factory reset you are literally erasing any and all custom user setting you have set and it is a pain in the butt especially if you do not have you custom user programs put down on a card or have a very very good memory.

so now I am posing the question to all of Friendly metal detecting forum so what say ye that knows the answer to this question that was posed to me and why do you do a factory reset when changing coils if that is in fact the case

Last edited:
Necessary? No.
A good idea>YES why not. Will not hurt anything, and then you know your settings are back to factory spec.

Necessary? No.
A good idea>YES why not. Will not hurt anything, and then you know your settings are back to factory spec.

In thinking about my post I made the Legend up until we were given the 1.08 now 1.09 update there was no way to do a factory reset when changing from one coil to another coil so with that being said you do not need to do a factory reset when changing coils otherwise Nokta/Macro would have given us a way to reset from the start.

I will probably still do the reset when I switch coils though LOL even though now I do not feel it is needed at all.

In thinking about my post I made the Legend up until we were given the 1.08 now 1.09 update there was no way to do a factory reset when changing from one coil to another coil so with that being said you do not need to do a factory reset when changing coils otherwise Nokta/Macro would have given us a way to reset from the start.

I will probably still do the reset when I switch coils though LOL even though now I do not feel it is needed at all.

How the heck do you factory reset the Legend?

Steve

How the heck do you factory reset the Legend?

Steve

to do a factory reset of the Legend

while your legend is on click the power button one time that will open up a sub menu move over to the little man icon once on the little man icon hold down on the pin point reject button keep holding down you will see some lines going around the screen keep holding the pin point reject button until you see FD appear on the screen of your Legend you have now performed a factory reset

the factory reset was not added until the 1.08 now 1.09 version was given to us
if you r Legend has not been updated to 1.09 you do not or will not be able to perform the factory rest

if you have updated to 1.09 and are trying to set things up in your legend and are still using the manual that came with your Legend I highly recommend downloading and printing out the new manual for the Legend 1.09 version because the old manuals do not contain the info for all the new features that were added with the 1.08 now 1.09 update

tried to copy and paste the new manual but for some reason it will not allow me to do that for you

to get the 1.09 update go to Nokta/Macro.com click on the Legend page and once on the legend page go to the left side bar scroll down to Downloads click on Downloads and chose which manual you want

FYI on Nokta Legend

Hello,

Thanks for reaching us...

Does not require a factory reset when you change the coils.

Best Regards

Serdar DURMAZ

Regional Sales Representative

I just asked a pro in here about that, and I reset my AT Pro after changing the coil, now my new coil is also made by Garrett, so never thought about it, figured Garrett, was Garrett ? But found out my Pro would only make music from one direction, but after "reset, it would sound off from both directions, can't wait to try it over bare ground, I'm a believer now, but won't know for sure till I get back out !
too_

to do a factory reset of the Legend

while your legend is on click the power button one time that will open up a sub menu move over to the little man icon once on the little man icon hold down on the pin point reject button keep holding down you will see some lines going around the screen keep holding the pin point reject button until you see FD appear on the screen of your Legend you have now performed a factory reset

the factory reset was not added until the 1.08 now 1.09 version was given to us
if you r Legend has not been updated to 1.09 you do not or will not be able to perform the factory rest

if you have updated to 1.09 and are trying to set things up in your legend and are still using the manual that came with your Legend I highly recommend downloading and printing out the new manual for the Legend 1.09 version because the old manuals do not contain the info for all the new features that were added with the 1.08 now 1.09 update

tried to copy and paste the new manual but for some reason it will not allow me to do that for you

to get the 1.09 update go to Nokta/Macro.com click on the Legend page and once on the legend page go to the left side bar scroll down to Downloads click on Downloads and chose which manual you want

Thank you!

Steve

I just asked a pro in here about that, and I reset my AT Pro after changing the coil, now my new coil is also made by Garrett, so never thought about it, figured Garrett, was Garrett ? But found out my Pro would only make music from one direction, but after "reset, it would sound off from both directions, can't wait to try it over bare ground, I'm a believer now, but won't know for sure till I get back out !
too_

Too, although some machines don't require a reset when changing a coil, in my AT Pro days I remember Garrett recommending a reset. Good luck. Mark

Garrett suggest doing a factory reset on the AT PRO after a coil change. That is not saying a reset is required after a coil change. I have changed the coils on the AT PRO and didn't do a reset, and had no problems of finding coins or relics. I figure it is more important to do a negative ground balance on most detectors than any factory reset. Negative ground balance helps for finding silver and copper.

here is the question that was posed to me with my response to them his question started me thinking

Hbot37 said:
What is the purpose of the factory reset after switching coils?

my response below

honestly I really cannot answer your question, when I was first starting out detecting the person that was teaching me said to do a factory reset if I switch to a different coil so I have always done a factory reset when I change coils I started out in 2009 and the person that was teaching me was from the metal detecting store I purchased my first detector from, I have also read it over the years by well known detectorist, It does not hurt anything in the detector so i just do it the way I was taught to do it

the above question was in reply to a thread I replied to on the Legend and my response to him

is it actually necessary to do a factory reset when switching to a different coil, every detector I have used I just did the factory reset because that is what I was taught to do when I first started detecting by someone I trusted knew what they were teaching me, but this question was posed to me and I could not really give a definitive answer to Hbot37s question so it got me to question the way I have always done things, when thinking about doing a factory reset you are literally erasing any and all custom user setting you have set and it is a pain in the butt especially if you do not have you custom user programs put down on a card or have a very very good memory.

so now I am posing the question to all of Friendly metal detecting forum so what say ye that knows the answer to this question that was posed to me and why do you do a factory reset when changing coils if that is in fact the case
On the Legend v1.09 what is the difference between a "Factory Default" (User Profile/Pinpoint button/Fd on screen) and a "Factory Reset" (hold on-off button for 30 seconds)?

Might be different for each detector. Not sure the reason why. But I do know that it is 100 percent necessary on my whites mx sport. other wise the detector just doesn't work right.

Op was referring to factory reset after coil change on a Nokta Makro Legend as I see it.
If this is correct you Do Not need to do a factory reset after coil change.

On the Legend v1.09 what is the difference between a "Factory Default" (User Profile/Pinpoint button/Fd on screen) and a "Factory Reset" (hold on-off button for 30 seconds)?
there is no reset in the legend by holding the power button down for 30 seconds, in fact Delik has said many times to not hold the power button down for 30 seconds to attempt a reset

Op was referring to factory reset after coil change on a Nokta Makro Legend as I see it.
If this is correct you Do Not need to do a factory reset after coil change.
this is correct, prior to the 1..08 now 1.09 there was no way to do a factory reset of the Legend so it is not required when switching coils

and a "Factory Reset" (hold on-off button for 30 seconds)?
this that you stated was started by someone that had no clue about the Legend and Legend user's ran with it, instead of listening to the people that built the Legend again as I previously stated do not do this per Nokta and Delik, there is only two factory resets in the Legend,

#1 a complete factory reset by going to the first set of menu's move over to the little man and then hold down the pin point reject button down until you see FD on the Legend screen, this resets everything back to factory defaults except for the timer that tracks your usage of the legend, I believe it also resets the clock that tells the time.

#2 is done the same way except with this one you go into the user profiles by clicking the up arrow while on the little man this is where you can select one of the 4 little men and set up a custom user profile, and even though there is only 4 little men in the setup you can save 4 custom user programs to each little man, and you can also reset each little man, but here is where some are confused say you have saved a custom user program in park mode in little man #2 and also saved a custom user program in field mode in the same little man #2 and then you want to change your custom settings in say park or delete the program in park all together you can without it affecting the program you have saved in field mode

to reset a custom user profile that you have saved you click the power button once in which ever mode you want to change or delete you custom settings, move over to the little man then click the up arrow select which ever little man you have saved a custom user profile in, if you want to delete that saved settings in the mode you are in hit the right arrow while on that one little man and watch the little man you will now see something in that one little man that looks like a broken circle, if you do see the broken circle hit the pin point reject button it will now clear the check mark in that little man and you have reset that little man in which ever mode you are in, now to verify this move over to field mode and select the same little man and hit the pin point reject again you will see that your saved custom setting still remain in the second mode

I hope this does not confuse anyone

Last edited:
this that you stated was started by someone that had no clue about the Legend and Legend user's ran with it, instead of listening to the people that built the Legend again as I previously stated do not do this per Nokta and Delik, there is only two factory resets in the Legend,

#1 a complete factory reset by going to the first set of menu's move over to the little man and then hold down the pin point reject button down until you see FD on the Legend screen, this resets everything back to factory defaults except for the timer that tracks your usage of the legend, I believe it also resets the clock that tells the time.

#2 is done the same way except with this one you go into the user profiles by clicking the up arrow while on the little man this is where you can select one of the 4 little men and set up a custom user profile, and even though there is only 4 little men in the setup you can save 4 custom user programs to each little man, and you can also reset each little man, but here is where some are confused say you have saved a custom user program in park mode in little man #2 and also saved a custom user program in field mode in the same little man #2 and then you want to change your custom settings in say park or delete the program in park all together you can without it affecting the program you have saved in field mode

to reset a custom user profile that you have saved you click the power button once in which ever mode you want to change or delete you custom settings, move over to the little man then click the up arrow select which ever little man you have saved a custom user profile in, if you want to delete that saved settings in the mode you are in hit the right arrow while on that one little man and watch the little man you will now see something in that one little man that looks like a broken circle, if you do see the broken circle hit the pin point reject button it will now clear the check mark in that little man and you have reset that little man in which ever mode you are in, now to verify this move over to field mode and select the same little man and hit the pin point reject again you will see that your saved custom setting still remain in the second mode

I hope this does not confuse anyone

Didn't confuse me? lol, now me and Whoopie are moving to Canada, lol
too_

FYI on Nokta Legend

Hello,

Thanks for reaching us...

Does not require a factory reset when you change the coils.

Best Regards

Serdar DURMAZ

Regional Sales Representative
I have a simplex 2.68 with stock coil and a 9.5"x5.5"d.d. by Nel.How do I upgrade to 2.77 ? If I upgrade 2.77 will I be able to still use the Nel coil ?I also have a stock new simplex + with 2.78 and will keep the same.Thank you-james45

Back
Top Bottom