Small Silver Coin?

LycomingWarrior

Elite Member
I found a small silver coin about 4"-5" down and next to a 2" stone. I have not been able to identify it. Side 1 has an "F" in the twelve o'clock position and an "M" in the six o'clock position. There are also ten small dots around the outside. Side 2 has the number "10" in the center and seven stars around the outside. As you can see, it is smaller than a US dime. Please disregard the tiny raindrop next to the star in the twelve o'clock position. Any ideas?

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3,818
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3,633
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,715
If you were in Valley Forge when you found this, there is a ton of history as Im sure you know. It could be anything. As clean as it is, I would have to agree it is silver. Also how did you take those pics so clearly and big?

If you were in Valley Forge when you found this, there is a ton of history as Im sure you know. It could be anything. As clean as it is, I would have to agree it is silver. Also how did you take those pics so clearly and big?

Yes, I received permission to hunt on a friend's property a few miles outside of VFNP. The property has an old colonial home on it.

The "folksyness" of the 10 and the stars makes it look like
the work of some common man like you see on love tokens. Are there
coins of that size they could have worked from?

Maybe the 10 is the anniversary of a soldier's marriage
and the F and M are the couple's initials. The seven stars
are the number of their children. :shock:

Very interesting find, I hope someone can ID it for you. Is it silver? How does it ring up on your machine. Looks too old to be any sort of play money.

Very strange, i was just going through a baggie of junk from my last hunt, and found the exact same coin. Its been boggling my mind all day. Definatly looks silver, but the one i got collected alot of dirt. It cleaned up very easy which is another good sign its silver. Good luck! I will be checking your thread in case somebody one day gives you an answer. Btw, mine came from an area where an 1860s house once sat. Ive found civil war buttons, and seen a 2-cent come out of the ground not far from where my 10 coin came from. Happy hunting.

Sorry to post on an old thread, but I found 2 of these as well and was wondering if you ever found out what it was? Looks like play money maybe from a vocational school that used play money to teach people how to count money?

Back
Top Bottom