First yes then no

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I've been drooling over a property near me since I started back detecting 5 years ago. A little old lady lived there by her self. So several years ago a guy was mowing her yard and I pull in there and get him to get her to the door. She says no, and that someone had ask before. Oh well I can wait. So in the last month or so I notice vehicles parked there and a portable storage unit parked there. Did she pass away or something? Turns out she was moved to a nursing home. I looked up the property and a fresh beneficiary deed with several peoples name attached to it.

So I bide my time and last weekend vehicles are there again so I pull in and ask an older gentleman. He says I don't know why not. I have my stuff with me and call my buddy because he was actually the person who the little old lady had turned down in past before we were even friends. I'm on the phone telling him to get over here when a lady walks up and says I'd rather you didn't detect. Her excuse was liability issues. Whatever lady, so now I'm going to have to wait again until they sell.

I'm guessing it's a early 1900's house. Probably 1900 to 1920's. I would bet my detectors the nonferrous trash will be light to non existent. There very well could have been a house or cabin there before it. It has huge oaks in the front. Not a quarter mile from the house through the woods behind it is where I found two of my oldest coins a 1851 Seated dime and a 1867 2 Cent piece.

The property is prime acreage. When sold the house will be torn down for sure, and probably a massive house built there. Now I'm just going to have to wait longer until the place sells.

The "liability issues" response is my favorite. One time I made the mistake of asking a lawyer for permission to detect his property. He said, quote, that the holes and hazards on his property pose a liability risk to him and his insurance carrier, but otherwise he would love to let people detect. Lol. I drive by this place all the time, and I would love to see the holes and hazards in the front yard that he is talking about. If you don't want me to detect your yard, just say it instead of coming up with some legal excuse. I can handle, "Sorry, but no."

.... Her excuse was liability issues. .....

.... If you don't want me to detect your yard, just say it instead of coming up with some legal excuse. I can handle, "Sorry, but no."

Whenever someone says "no", and says "...d/t liability legal issues..." : It's NOT because of legal liability issues. :roll: This is nothing more than a polite way to say "no".

The truth is, they just don't want to be bothered.

Whenever someone says "no", and says "...d/t liability legal issues..." : It's NOT because of legal liability issues. :roll: This is nothing more than a polite way to say "no".

The truth is, they just don't want to be bothered.

If somebody came along and said they'd mow their grass or shovel their snow for free, then you can bet they'd say "yes." Most of these people have had uninsured workers on their property many, many times.

Yep, just a polite way in they're mind to tell you they don't want you on the property. They will also tell you they're lawer advised them not to let anyone on the property for liability reasons. Again just a way to tell to scaddadle. I would just move on and not worry about it.

If somebody came along and said they'd mow their grass or shovel their snow for free, then you can bet they'd say "yes." Most of these people have had uninsured workers on their property many, many times.

A buddy of mine does this. He shows up in his pickup with a lawnmower in the bed and offers to mow the lawn for permission. I don't think anyone has ever claimed "liability" issues for this uninsured worker on their property :laughing:

Oh, and the fact that ANYONE is on your property, yourself included, is an insurance liability as anyone could get injured.

"Insurance liability" is just someone who doesn't want to say no finding a way to say no.

A buddy of mine does this. He shows up in his pickup with a lawnmower in the bed and offers to mow the lawn for permission. I don't think anyone has ever claimed "liability" issues for this uninsured worker on their property :laughing:

Oh, and the fact that ANYONE is on your property, yourself included, is an insurance liability as anyone could get injured.

"Insurance liability" is just someone who doesn't want to say no finding a way to say no.

Or just doesn't feel like being honest. "I'd prefer you didn't" or just "No" (they don't owe you an explanation, not that I think anyone here is demanding it).

Given that most homeowners don't have a clue about metal detecting, I wonder how many homeowners think the detectorist is just looking for surface stuff? Do they actually know that holes will be dug in their lawn? If so, why the hell would they allow that?

Further to that, even if they do know about the holes, and agree to digging, do they know that unless the ground is really moist, and the plug is very deep, that they're going to have dead spots all over their lawn?

Last edited:
Given that most homeowners don't have a clue about metal detecting, I wonder how many homeowners think the detectorist is just looking for surface stuff? Do they actually know that holes will be dug in their lawn? If so, why the hell would they allow that?

Further to that, even if they do know about the holes, and agree to digging, do they know that unless the ground is really moist, and the plug is very deep, that they're going to have dead spots all over their lawn?

I have detected many, many residential permissions and not one owner has ever asked or said something during or afterwards about digging plugs. Maybe a few of them were unhappy, but too non-confrontational to say anything. Most people simply must not care as long as they don't see you making a mess. If I'm near an occupied house, then I only use a hand digger. I also use a towel to catch the dirt.

Came across this thread and it's really hitting home with me right now. I started detecting maybe not even 3 months ago. Mostly been working about 1.5 acre lot at the church down the block from me. The corner of the lot is right off a main road that dates back into late 1860's. Found a lot of stuff but no silver yet. I've mustered up the courage to ask for about 5 permissions now and it's the same thing over and over again, NOOOO!!!!

I'll be honest, i'm getting quite discouraged and the excitement of any prospects is quickly disolving. I don't think i pictured it to be quite this difficult to find somewhere to detect. I still have parks and things to hit that the township gave me persmission to do but they are all modern. Nothing but clad which is fine if I can hit quarters and dimes!

Not sure how to sell my pitch anymore. I've offered splitting any finds, offered them full permission to see what i find and they keep any relic they want, what else can i do aside from taking my bounty hunter tracker and letting them hunt with me? Any words of wisdom and assurance would be great right now!!

Sorry guys, not trying to sound like a whining little brat because i can't find any treasure, lol! I know it's hard work and a lot of luck. We all have our downtime i guess. Maybe i should start flying my RC Heli's again!! lol!

Came across this thread and it's really hitting home with me right now. I started detecting maybe not even 3 months ago. Mostly been working about 1.5 acre lot at the church down the block from me. The corner of the lot is right off a main road that dates back into late 1860's. Found a lot of stuff but no silver yet. I've mustered up the courage to ask for about 5 permissions now and it's the same thing over and over again, NOOOO!!!!

Hi Kemichael.

What would you say to someone who asks to dig holes in your lawn?

Hi Kemichael.

What would you say to someone who asks to dig holes in your lawn?

I won't even detect my own lawn for that reason! lol

In the UK, I would venture that very little detecting is done in this manner, rather the majority is done on agrecultural land of one sort or another...

I would certainly not approach a homeowner to detect on a pristine bit of lawn; maybe an adjacent horse paddock or apple orchard, but not a pristine lawn...

These are all very good points. When i first started i did everything in my yard. It wasn't till about two weeks later when i saw all the brown spots and dead grass where i dug plugs.

It was then that I realized there was no way I was going to be able to deliver a sales pitch to a homeowner on private land that it would not harm their grass like all the guys on you tube claim when they claim their method of digging a plug is the best.

I even posted on here asking everyone what i was doing wrong since everywhere i dug a plug the grass died. All this time i didn't think it would kill the grass if you "did it right".

Knowing this now, i'm so glad no one let me on their property to detect because i'd be dealing with angry people and fixing their lawn. the places i've asked permission were mostly all old home up for auction and vacant.

Guess i'll be looking for farmland or parks, lol!

Denied Permission

I've been drooling over a property near me since I started back detecting 5 years ago. A little old lady lived there by her self. So several years ago a guy was mowing her yard and I pull in there and get him to get her to the door. She says no, and that someone had ask before. Oh well I can wait. So in the last month or so I notice vehicles parked there and a portable storage unit parked there. Did she pass away or something? Turns out she was moved to a nursing home. I looked up the property and a fresh beneficiary deed with several peoples name attached to it.

So I bide my time and last weekend vehicles are there again so I pull in and ask an older gentleman. He says I don't know why not. I have my stuff with me and call my buddy because he was actually the person who the little old lady had turned down in past before we were even friends. I'm on the phone telling him to get over here when a lady walks up and says I'd rather you didn't detect. Her excuse was liability issues. Whatever lady, so now I'm going to have to wait again until they sell.

I'm guessing it's a early 1900's house. Probably 1900 to 1920's. I would bet my detectors the nonferrous trash will be light to non existent. There very well could have been a house or cabin there before it. It has huge oaks in the front. Not a quarter mile from the house through the woods behind it is where I found two of my oldest coins a 1851 Seated dime and a 1867 2 Cent piece.

The property is prime acreage. When sold the house will be torn down for sure, and probably a massive house built there. Now I'm just going to have to wait longer until the place sells.

That is the interesting thing about getting turned down. The majority of places where I was denied permission I learned over time will open back up eventually with a change of management, different maintenance crew, new homeowner, or the mean husband who passed away and the the kind widow let you search after you bring her a pound cake. In your case, you will really have to keep an eye on the property and jump on it when you see they are about to move forward with preparing the land for a new McMansion. It will be a limited opportunity and you will have to maximize what little time you have to search the grounds provided they do let you search it in the near future. I had a similar situation except they were going to lift an antebellum home and slow tractor it to a vacant lot two miles down the road. I only had a limited opportunity, but it was an amazing search. Among the silver coins and some scattered pieces of jewelry, the fun part was that there were a good number of toys that had been lost over a century. Many of them of the great cast iron kind. Way more than I had anticipated. Keep us posted and don't give up home. It will be worth the effort to pursue it.

Back
Top Bottom