• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Abandoned City Property

..... The property is actually in legal limbo. .....

Good post.

And I would add, to the above statement, that someone can certainly "push back" on that word "legal". With all sorts of technical analysis. Ie.: To eventually come up with some sort of explanation how it's utterly taboo, blah blah.

In other words, the attempt you're getting at, to sanitize our actions as "legal", can simply go both ways. A lawyer-type can dissect that, and delve into pages of legal fine-print of laws, blah blah Right ?

So rather than debating "legal limbo", how about we just focus on "realistic limbo" ? In other words, ask ourselves : Does anyone REALLY care ? :roll: Because if no one cares, then presto : No one cares. Why debate legality in the first place, if the entire question is a non-issue in the first place ?

Like taking the tag off of a mattress, or spitting on sidewalks : At a certain point, you don't debate "legality". You resort to "realistic" as your measuring rod .

Good post.

And I would add, to the above statement, that someone can certainly "push back" on that word "legal". With all sorts of technical analysis. Ie.: To eventually come up with some sort of explanation how it's utterly taboo, blah blah.

In other words, the attempt you're getting at, to sanitize our actions as "legal", can simply go both ways. A lawyer-type can dissect that, and delve into pages of legal fine-print of laws, blah blah Right ?

So rather than debating "legal limbo", how about we just focus on "realistic limbo" ? In other words, ask ourselves : Does anyone REALLY care ? :roll: Because if no one cares, then presto : No one cares. Why debate legality in the first place, if the entire question is a non-issue in the first place ?

Like taking the tag off of a mattress, or spitting on sidewalks : At a certain point, you don't debate "legality". You resort to "realistic" as your measuring rod .

Tom. I will describe this in "realistic" perspective as it applies to the abandoned neighborhoods in cities in my state. For a crack rock, a joint, a bottle of liquor, a case of beer, some cash, or some form of sex, etc. the city worker or "plumber" will bypass the water meter so the occupants still living in those neighborhoods will never have to pay a water bill again. Same way with electricity. They will bypass the meter or climb the pole and wire the house direct to the grid somehow. And when I say climb the pole, they climb it like they climb a tree or use a climbing deer stand. Do you think city government cares about those places? They are out of control.

Tom. I will describe this in "realistic" perspective as it applies to the abandoned neighborhoods in cities in my state. For a crack rock, a joint, a bottle of liquor, a case of beer, some cash, or some form of sex, etc. the city worker or "plumber" will bypass the water meter so the occupants still living in those neighborhoods will never have to pay a water bill again. Same way with electricity. They will bypass the meter or climb the pole and wire the house direct to the grid somehow. And when I say climb the pole, they climb it like they climb a tree or use a climbing deer stand. Do you think city government cares about those places? They are out of control.

And to this I would add : I understand that you're dealing with the term "realistic" vs "technical/legal". Sure.

But let's not let anyone "get lost" in the analogy to various types of crimes and blight you list. (eg.: Drugs, stealing power & water, etc...). In our case, the entire nonsense of "disturb" or "alter" or "remove", are more akin to spitting on sidewalks sort of comparison . In which case EVEN THOSE MOST CONSERVATIVE SAINT is going to say "who cares ?".

I get the point of what you were saying. But let's be clear that md'ing is as benign and innocuous as flying frisbees (might poke someone's eye out), or playing ball on the turf (footsteps might disturb the turf), or digging in the sand (might harm sandcrabs), etc.... We do not start with the implied premise that md'ing is somehow harmful, dangerous, lawless, etc....

Atomicbrh,

that is pretty much the way it is no metro Atlanta. North Atlanta, north of I-20 or thereabuts you won't find abandoned property, the real estate is too valuable.

South of I-20, more abandoned properties, but very unsafe areas to hunt. I don't know of any local detectorists who hunt south of I-285.

Back
Top Bottom