• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Run in with Karen

When you detect ROW (right-of-way) strips you need to be prepared for homeowners who frown upon what you're doing. Especially if you're detecting the strips in front of occupied houses. Many people consider that little grassy spot their property (and in a minority of communities it is, with the city just having an easement) and often don't know that technically it isn't. Even if they do know since they maintain it, they consider it theirs.

The problem with getting into a verbal debate with the complainer, as opposed to explaining that the strip is city property but still offering to leave, is that there's a decent chance it doesn't end there. If they call the police, it's very possible the the cop will consider you the problem. If the complainer goes griping to their alderman or whatever they call their government representative in the area, or worse yet if the complainer is in a position of power in the government, you could potentially see a new ordinance on the books that wouldn't be in your best interest.

Unfortunately some who have a problem with you being there won't confront you directly but instead will just call the police. Even if the cop is sympathetic to you, he will probably ask you to find somewhere else to detect because in his eyes that's the easiest way to solve the issue.

What I've found that works very well for me is asking permission when I see the homeowner outside. I ask if I can look for dropped coins in that "little city owned right-of-way strip". By phrasing it like that, I'm subtly letting them know it's not their property and also subliminally letting them know that I'm considerate enough to ask first. I usually get a yes, and a significant percentage of the time that leads to getting permission for the whole yard.

On an unrelated issue, I've got a question for everyone using the term "Karen": How would you feel if the public started referring to a self-centered, entitled and obnoxious man as your first name? I'm sure you guys are just trying to follow the crowd and don't mean to be insulting, but if you turn the tables and think about if that was your name being used disparagingly...I'm betting you wouldn't like it. Who would?

"Unfortunately some who have a problem with you being there won't confront you directly but instead will just call the police. Even if the cop is sympathetic to you, he will probably ask you to find somewhere else to detect because in his eyes that's the easiest way to solve the issue"

"BINGO!" Ain't us old farts got logical rights on public ground?

..... The problem with getting into a verbal debate with the complainer, as opposed to explaining that the strip is city property but still offering to leave, is that there's a decent chance it doesn't end there. If they call the police, it's very possible the the cop will consider you the problem. If the complainer goes griping to their alderman or whatever they call their government representative in the area, ....

Good post.

There is a lot of md'ing discussion on "legalities" . And some people who feel that they can stand their defiant, if they're in-the-right.

But this fails to take into account that md'ing is ...... let's be brutally honest ...... filled with connotations. :roll: Eg.: that you might be about to leave a hole. Or that you might be about to take something. Blah blah.

Thus sometimes the issue we face is NOT "whether or not we're in the right". Eg.: Whether you can or can't legally md a certain park, a curb-strip, etc.... Instead, the objective should be: What produces the best results. Not "Am I legally right or not".

So when someone suggests "pick odd-ball off times" (when busy-bodies aren't present), does not mean they're advocating lawlessness. So for example : I do nice manicured park turf at night these days. NOT because I think I'm doing something illegal. But just because of the connotations involved. Why spend your life explaining yourself and defending yourself ?

Think of it more like Nose-picking : Not illegal. Nor do you "ask permission". Nor will you stand your ground defiantly to do it in a crowded elevator. Right ? Yet for pete's sake, we *all* use discretion in timing. So as not to offend the squeamish. So too is md'ing like that at times.

Thus the LAST thing you want to do is stand your ground arguing with a homeowner. EVEN if you're technically in-the-right. Sometimes excusing yourself and moving on is the best tactic. And opt for times when said-lookie-lou isn't present. Presto, problem solved. :roll:

Well said, Tom. Everybody digs for gold in the ol' schnozz, but nobody argues about their right to do it.:D

In addition to sometimes leading to full yard permissions, another advantage to asking permission for a ROW strip is that high traffic times are best since more people are outside to approach.

My policy for myself is that I'm not going to detect and dig if someone in the immediate area doesn't want me to, even if it's legal and fine. I doubt many of us would nose right up next to a family at a park picnic table in a park, even though they're not using that space and it's a public park. I also won't detect a curb strip in front of someone's house if they don't want me to, even if it's not their property and I have as much right to be in the strip as they do in their yard. Seems to make thing easier for everyone.

The only curb strips I hunt are those of businesses.....and on the weekend. As far as residences go, I want the WHOLE yard, so a polite permission request usually means its a go!

I would have explained I was from the FAA and you are measuring for the new runway.

Back
Top Bottom