Can you make a living out of MD

benson

If you spend the time and effort could one make a living out of metal detecting ?

Im mean you would have to hunt 8-10 hour days and be finding gold or platinum on a daily basis... It is very hard to do unless you live in a place that produces everyday. Im sure it can me done but hard!

depends on how you live me personaly i have been mding since may of this year an have almost up to 5k total worth since biggest item was a 2200$ ring

LOL, I doubt it. You may find that one huge find in a year and make a million outta it but the odds are stacked against you I would say.

Well as you say I may get Lucky ,as I am retired I have plenty of times on my hands

Move to the Caribbean or other super-rich vacation spot, put in the time, get the skill, and MAYBE... But you have to be able to afford to go there first. ;)

Sure if you dont mind going 8 or 9 months out of the year with no money at all :lol: I think metal detecting finds could be more accurately be termed "bonuses" , in life and sometimes in the form of extra cash , but with odds of finding anything of real value just a little better than winning the lottery , and even all the clad you find not really adding up to enough to pay bills even in the best of circumstances , it sure wouldnt be much of a living. The real value in detecting is the enjoyable time spent doing it. On the other hand , if you were detecting gold nuggets in a gold rich area it could probably be done.

thats what I was thinking,sorry if I upset an elite member joee5
I see no problem with question you asked. Most members try to be helpful. I hope this doesnt sour you on the forum.If you have anyother questions ask away I sure you will get better answers.---Mike

Might not be such a bad thing. Your retired, everything paid off, not many monthly bills... Sort of depends on your, health, lifestyle, and where you live. You'd have to be willing to put in some hours, but you might do alright. Some places will always produce a few coins, maybe a little jewelry, they get replenished by the regular visitors. There is always scrap metals, save them, and cash them in. People lose things all the time, and wish they had a metal detector to find them. I've lost a few small parts in the lawn, when working on the car, that I would have found, rather than having to buy, or find a suitable replacement.

Doubtful you'll get rich, but could make a decent difference between just keeping up with you basic expenses, and actually getting out a living. Besides, it keeps you active, gives you a sense of adventure, something to look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom