Repairing damaged pipe threads. Update!

Country Dirt Kid

Elite Member
I am in the middle of driving a sandpoint well. It was going so good and then the drive coupling of the pipe loosened up while I was pounding and now the threads are distorted. After looking at these pictures, what are my options? I'm thinking
-use it anyway
-buy a tap and chase the threads
-cut the pipe and cut new threads
-give up

Attachments

• IMG_9010.jpg
    IMG_9010.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_9011.jpg
    IMG_9011.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
I have run into this quite often where I worked. You have good thread just below the damaged area. I would get a die and chase those threads but you will want to cut several more while you are chasing the pipe so you have good tight seal when finished. Good luck.;)

those threads are tapered, cut off the end and rethread for a proper seal. Otherwise you will only be holding on a few threads if you just try and rethread that thing....

The others are right. Get yourself the correct size die, cut off JUST the damaged threads, leaving those lower five threads intact. They will help start and align the die for the new threads. Use a can of WD-40 as a lube and cutting oil. (Yeah, I know, it's wrong but are we going to make him buy a pint of the correct stuff for a one-time use?)
That should get you fixed up.

Happy driving.....Roger

The others are right. Get yourself the correct size die, cut off JUST the damaged threads, leaving those lower five threads intact. They will help start and align the die for the new threads. Use a can of WD-40 as a lube and cutting oil. (Yeah, I know, it's wrong but are we going to make him buy a pint of the correct stuff for a one-time use?)
That should get you fixed up.

Happy driving.....Roger

Actually a bit of engine oil from your dipstick works great in a pinch if you have a vehicle of some sort.

hey glad you didn't give up and got it sorted! that garden is looking great.

Back
Top Bottom