On the fence with carbon fiber shaft.

Dan B.

Elite Member
I and one that does not like to spend money on myself. But I have developed quite a few issues with shoulders, hands, elbows, and wrists with arthritis and tendonitis. With that said will a carbon fiber shaft on my Equinox make that much of a difference from the stock shaft. I also water hunt will it hold up in water? Thanks for all your assistance!:oldguy:

I switched to Anderson's carbon fiber shafts a couple of months ago. It is a bit lighter, but where it makes the most difference is when you're swinging your coil in water. It's much more rigid and you don't have to fight it as much. All in all, I thought it was a good upgrade for me. With your arthritis and tendonitis, I think it would be a good investment for you too. Steve is awesome! He'll custom fit your shaft and there are different colors too! Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting!

I and one that does not like to spend money on myself. But I have developed quite a few issues with shoulders, hands, elbows, and wrists with arthritis and tendonitis. With that said will a carbon fiber shaft on my Equinox make that much of a difference from the stock shaft. I also water hunt will it hold up in water? Thanks for all your assistance!:oldguy:

I would say not really... Calculate how many ounces you would be shaving, then as a percent of overall weight. And I'm not talking about the weight savings of carbon fiber vs. the aluminum shaft but about the weight of the entire package; most of the weight is not on the shaft.

Having said that I love my carbon fiber hiking stick. I spent $5 bucks on a used carbon fiber golf club from a thrift store, chopped the working end, installed a hiking stick cup; instant carbon fiber hiking stick. Keep an eye out for one of those ;)

Dan I can't speak to water hunting but I will say Steve's Detector rods are top notch, very sturdy and I purchased mine with the counterweight and I'm able to hunt much longer . It alleviates alot of the shoulder and wrist pain I would get after 2 hrs or so. I can swing for 6 to 8 hrs. now so the for me the investment was worth it. Good luck, Mark

I'm not sure how much difference a little bit of weight difference would make, the equinox is already pretty light.
I've also had a ton of shoulder issues, but for the past year have been doing alot more stretching and very light workouts and I have to say it makes a HUGE difference.

I feel your pain Dan. I went through a lot of this last year and ended up with a months long bout of tennis elbow. Any amount of weight you can save will make a difference. You might have to try swinging a smaller coil for awhile. I also strapped my pin pointer to the arm cuff using the belt sheath that came with it. That adds some nice counterweight to the coil which helps. Try reducing the length of the shaft to bring the coil closer to your feet and swing shorter arcs and swing slower. I know it's not what you may "want" to do but at least it might keep you detecting and not injuring yourself.

I switched to Anderson's carbon fiber shafts a couple of months ago. It is a bit lighter, but where it makes the most difference is when you're swinging your coil in water. It's much more rigid and you don't have to fight it as much. All in all, I thought it was a good upgrade for me. With your arthritis and tendonitis, I think it would be a good investment for you too. Steve is awesome! He'll custom fit your shaft and there are different colors too! Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting!

Sorry all, misspoke on my last post. It's Steve's Detector Rods. I was thinking about another company with my day time job when I said Anderson's...just wanted to clear that up! Steve is awesome!

I love my carbon fiber shaft. My original Nox shaft was a bit wobbly and the carbon fiber shaft is very solid. I went with the Detect Ed shaft simply because I cashed my found clad at Coinstar and didn't pay a fee if I received an Amazon gift card.

I have a Steve's Detector Rod w/counterweight. I use the Coiltek 15" on the beach. The counterweight balances with the coil and I can swing without gripping the pod. The pod just rides in my curled fingers and there is very little stress on the wrist.

I enjoy my detect-Ed shafts.
CF390B1A-0D93-4642-9602-00FA3A1031A3.jpeg

Dan I can't speak to water hunting but I will say Steve's Detector rods are top notch, very sturdy and I purchased mine with the counterweight and I'm able to hunt much longer . It alleviates alot of the shoulder and wrist pain I would get after 2 hrs or so. I can swing for 6 to 8 hrs. now so the for me the investment was worth it. Good luck, Mark

What he said.

I would say not really... Calculate how many ounces you would be shaving, then as a percent of overall weight. And I'm not talking about the weight savings of carbon fiber vs. the aluminum shaft but about the weight of the entire package; most of the weight is not on the shaft.

Having said that I love my carbon fiber hiking stick. I spent $5 bucks on a used carbon fiber golf club from a thrift store, chopped the working end, installed a hiking stick cup; instant carbon fiber hiking stick. Keep an eye out for one of those ;)

Pretty clever idea on the walking stick thanks!

Counterweight sounds like a good idea maybe there is something I can rig up thanks.

I'm not sure how much difference a little bit of weight difference would make, the equinox is already pretty light.
I've also had a ton of shoulder issues, but for the past year have been doing alot more stretching and very light workouts and I have to say it makes a HUGE difference.
Light workouts and stretches the doctor and the wife and you have suggested that maybe it's a good idea thanks.:lol:

I feel your pain Dan. I went through a lot of this last year and ended up with a months long bout of tennis elbow. Any amount of weight you can save will make a difference. You might have to try swinging a smaller coil for awhile. I also strapped my pin pointer to the arm cuff using the belt sheath that came with it. That adds some nice counterweight to the coil which helps. Try reducing the length of the shaft to bring the coil closer to your feet and swing shorter arcs and swing slower. I know it's not what you may "want" to do but at least it might keep you detecting and not injuring yourself.
I do run my shaft quite long I will try shortening it up thanks. Keep cool!

I love my carbon fiber shaft. My original Nox shaft was a bit wobbly and the carbon fiber shaft is very solid. I went with the Detect Ed shaft simply because I cashed my found clad at Coinstar and didn't pay a fee if I received an Amazon gift card.

I will have to start saving my clad and Coinstar change and put it towards possibly a shaft. If I win the bass tournament on Sunday I will probably definitely purchase one. Thanks!

Shoulder Sling

They actually make a shoulder sling that works very well. I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a carbon fiber shaft.

Actually it is not the weight of the shaft that is the problem. It is the shape of the shaft. A straight shaft you have to hold more in front of you, and that puts more strain on your shoulder. An S shaft you can hold more to your side with no problems.

I have had problems with both shoulders for years. I have no problems swinging heavier detectors than the Equinox, because they have an S shaft, so they can be closer to my side.

I'll also recommend the S shaft option.

The Equinox is very light, but I found it uncomfortable to use. Never had any such issue with the F75, which I believe is a touch heavier, and has an S shaft.

Tried putting a counter-weight under the Equinox armcuff to better simulate the weight balance of the F75. Did not really help me.

Tried converting a Whites S shaft (middle and lower) to fit the Equinox. Bingo! Feels so much better! My conversion is a bit wobbly, but I'm not out there hard core or in the water, so it's good enough for now. I can't explain why it works -- better balanced somehow -- but it does.

Haven't tried carbon fiber, straight or S, but I don't see how a bit less weight and more stiffness could be a bad thing.

Actually it is not the weight of the shaft that is the problem. It is the shape of the shaft. A straight shaft you have to hold more in front of you, and that puts more strain on your shoulder. An S shaft you can hold more to your side with no problems.

I have had problems with both shoulders for years. I have no problems swinging heavier detectors than the Equinox, because they have an S shaft, so they can be closer to my side.

I'll also recommend the S shaft option.

The Equinox is very light, but I found it uncomfortable to use. Never had any such issue with the F75, which I believe is a touch heavier, and has an S shaft.

Tried putting a counter-weight under the Equinox armcuff to better simulate the weight balance of the F75. Did not really help me.

Tried converting a Whites S shaft (middle and lower) to fit the Equinox. Bingo! Feels so much better! My conversion is a bit wobbly, but I'm not out there hard core or in the water, so it's good enough for now. I can't explain why it works -- better balanced somehow -- but it does.

Haven't tried carbon fiber, straight or S, but I don't see how a bit less weight and more stiffness could be a bad thing.

Is there a manufacturer of an S Shaft or a T shaft for the Nox, or can I buy an extra stock shaft and have my son bend it at his shop? Thanks for your assistance and input.

+1 for the detected shaft, i love mine! Detector is light and easy to run, I go about 6 hours at a time for a regular day

PXL-20201004-202332934.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom