Beware county property and employees

I agree but with anything it depends on the situation and the person. Are you a bum? If so good luck. If you are a known citizen and have a good record with the community it is very easy. I checked with the Sheriffabout 20 years ago while chatting with him. He stopped by my office a few days later and gave me the ok to sll county property. He said city parks in the county look good too. Any problems drop my name. Being prior service combat veteran helps too. Like everything in this world work the angles, present yourself properly, and learn the code of ethics. Now today I wouldn't ask the sheriff different times now. I would search print every park and recreation code and city code. Also know about your state laws. Basically educate yourself so when approached you dont ummmm yourself into trouble. And always be nice even to the aggresive types. If you are doing no wrong you are good. A story helps too. I was contacted by a lady who lost a ring in this area so trying to do my best to find and return it. Also show them the trash. Never got yelled at for cleaning up trash! HH and Dig everyday.

QUOTE=Tom_in_CA;3358517]And this is EXACTLY the reason why I do most of my nice-manicured turf hunting at night these days. So peaceful. So serene.

Bajanick is right : If you already deduced that you're doing nothing wrong, then why do you think you need a "permit" ?

If you go swatting hornet's nests, "seeking clarification", you can/will end up with the "No one cared UNTIL you asked" routine kicking in.

Just avoid this singular lookie-lou in the future.

Like nose-picking: You can run around trying to convince everyone it's legal, and get permits for it, if you want. Or, you can just opt for more discreet timing. So as not to offend the squeamish. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Where i live, i step into the park with a metal detector, I have a one way ticket to a few days or month's of free room and board. ; (

Where i live, i step into the park with a metal detector, I have a one way ticket to a few days or month's of free room and board. ; (

Where the heck is this place ?

And curious : Can you cite any example of someone who "stepped into this park with a metal detector", and went to jail for "days or months" ? Got any examples of someone this happened to ? :?:

it was told to me by the parks department. Because of thieves took the relics that was buried there and sold them on eBay.

it was told to me by the parks department. Because of thieves took the relics that was buried there and sold them on eBay.

1) I don't think every scram or stink-eye constitutes a law or rule . Here's a post about this psychology : http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=278842

2) As suspected : No accounts/examples of this asserted risk of arrest and days or months in jail, for someone who "stepped foot in the park with a metal detector".

If your park is some sort of sacred historic monument (Bodie, Shiloh, etc...) then perhaps. But if you're talking run-of-the-mill benign parks ....... no.
Check out the link to this topic discussed.

Since that happened they are fooling the state rules here in FL. I don't want to find out but the person said. It's bad here in the county i live in.

911 facility?
That's way to close to law enforcement for me!

Ha Ha Ha!!! I've been known to detect directly across the street from my local police station, along side of the railroad tracks that's a city park of sorts but that's not to say that I wasn't a weeeee bit nervous. :shock:

F5

I've learned that just because you have the Right doesn't mean you get to exercise it. Best to move on and call it good.

Especially in smaller towns law can be altered at any time. Yes, it sounds all good to say stand up for your Rights Blah, Blah, Blah, but in reality, the law can be improvised to fit someone's wants. Not so much altered as they change the circumstances to fit their ability to enforce their will/law.

Ever since an agreement changed from shaking hands to a piece of paper, it isn't worth spit.

It's messed up here it is over $10,000.00 just to build a house in this county. That is so they allow you to build it.

Ha Ha Ha!!! I've been known to detect directly across the street from my local police station, ....

One time, a city in CA had an old-town demolition site tearout right across the street from a police station. We fretted ourselves silly about how we were going to go about this. But in the final analysis, the police didn't give 2 sh#ts about us.

It occurs to me that, in this sorry-sad day & age, that cops have bigger fish to fry than a geek with a metal detector.

Also a word to the wise : Do NOT "lock gazes" with passing cops. Ie.: with the "oh no, does he see me ?" nervous stare. Because THAT is what draws a passerby's attention. And then, sure as heck, they'll think "Gee, what's he doing ?". Versus : If you act like you own the place, or smile and wave, then : No one pays a bit of attention to you. :roll:

..... Especially in smaller towns law can be altered at any time. .... the law can be improvised to fit someone's wants. ....

The mere fact that there are examples that (yes) float around of "overzealous" cops, who "alter and improvise" laws, does not mean I'm going to pussyfoot and grovel and wimp out wherever I travel.

I mean, SO TOO can I probably find examples of persons roughed up by an over-zealous cop, for nothing but jay-walking, or a tail-light out, etc...... But will that stop any of us from jay-walking or driving ? Of course not.

The mere fact that there are examples that (yes) float around of "overzealous" cops, who "alter and improvise" laws, does not mean I'm going to pussyfoot and grovel and wimp out wherever I travel.

When I'm looking at having my detector confiscated, yes, I do play it safe rather than press my luck even if I'm in the right. Nothing worse than the "good ole boys" system of small town justice. Like hunting a parking strip, and having a cop detain you and confiscate your detector for the destruction of public property. Then go to court where it is simply your word versus the officers. Yeah, that'll work out well.

When I got my divorce 40 years ago the smartest thing done was my father, being law wise, hired a city attorney from another town to represent me. Knowing how the local good ole boy system works in town, I smoked my X's case big time. I got anything I wanted. Of course, all I wanted was for her to leave me alone.

... Like hunting a parking strip, and having a cop detain you and confiscate your detector for the destruction of public property.........

Very interesting.

Can you cite any incident, anywhere in the USA, where someone has had their "detector confiscated" for hunting a parking strip ? :?:

Went metal detecting in our county seat town hitting the side walks and parks. Was having a enjoyable day until I wondered too far into a grassy area of the county 911 building. A lady comes out carrying her cell phone and runs to my truck and takes a photo of my license plate then she approaches me asking me "Can I help you?". I told her I was just out enjoying my hobby of metal detecting and she immediately says "You are trespassing and need to leave!". I told her I thought there was nothing wrong with metal detecting on tax payers county property (I being a tax payer of the county) and that I had been metal detecting all day on the streets. She proceeded to lie telling me it was not county property even though I checked the property data of the area before I started and knew it was. I didn't argue with her and just moved on. I've been waiting for the sheriff to come to my house since she did take a photo of my license plate but so far they haven't. Some people can really make a good day of metal detecting turn bad. I'm going to check with the county clerk about getting a permit before going back.

I probably would've pulled out my phone and recorded her and her rant :bling:

Very interesting.

Can you cite any incident, anywhere in the USA, where someone has had their "detector confiscated" for hunting a parking strip ? :?:

Yes, me! But he was told to give it back by the Chief. He put it in his car and was going to keep it by the way he talked. Once we got to the station he was told to give it back.

Yes, me! But he was told to give it back by the Chief. He put it in his car and was going to keep it by the way he talked. Once we got to the station he was told to give it back.

Well, then this is certainly a fluke. Because the only times anyone can ever cite an incident of "confiscation", is if some md'r were night-sneaking an obvious off-limits historic monument. Or someone being obnoxious that can't take a warning, etc....

I venture to say that your example must be unique. And thus not something that everyone can "fear as imminent".

For example, I have a newspaper clipping of a guy that got a traffic ticket for eating a hamburger while driving . No joke! I think the cop called it "distracted driving", or something like that. But I think we can all agree that this is a fluke.

And I'll bet that seeing this clipping would not stop anyone of us from eating a burger while driving. Ie.: We're not going to "fear a ticket" for eating a munchie, after seeing such an odd-ball fluke story.

So too is it with md'ing: Some things we simply have to write off as flukes. I've hunted hundreds of parking strips in my time (as have countless other md'rs here), and yet ...... no confiscations.

Back
Top Bottom