Help with USB microscope

ColoKid

Forum Supporter
All,

I purchased an inexpensive USB microscope several months ago when we had a lot of interest in the subject. Its been great, and I appreciated using it to see detail of coins and artifacts. Back then I was using Windows 7, since then I have purchased a new computer running Windows 8.1 and I cannot seem to get the drivers loaded, the scope has no image when connected to the computer.

My software disk is labeled 'USB Digital Microscope 20X-200X, (drivers and utilities V1.8)', but it displays 'MicroCapture V2.0' under the 'about' dropdown.

Any thoughts? I have attempted to find Windows 8.1 drivers or information for the device on the internet but no luck so far.

Many thanks ColoKid

All,

I purchased an inexpensive USB microscope several months ago when we had a lot of interest in the subject. Its been great, and I appreciated using it to see detail of coins and artifacts. Back then I was using Windows 7, since then I have purchased a new computer running Windows 8.1 and I cannot seem to get the drivers loaded, the scope has no image when connected to the computer.

My software disk is labeled 'USB Digital Microscope 20X-200X, (drivers and utilities V1.8)', but it displays 'MicroCapture V2.0' under the 'about' dropdown.

Any thoughts? I have attempted to find Windows 8.1 drivers or information for the device on the internet but no luck so far.

Many thanks ColoKid

Welcome to Windows 8 :lol:

Never a fan of Windows, huge resource hog. New verson, usual means new computer...

Anyhow, there has been a compatibility mode in previous version, which sometimes works. Should be able to right-click the program, to access this option. Might be in 'Properties'.

If the manufacturer doesn't have a driver, might try searching the web for you model, see if there are other people looking to solve the same problem.

Thanks Guys,

I have done a preliminary search on the web and have not turned up much due to the fact that these little cheap microscopes didn't have a lot of development and I cannot ascertain a particular manufacturer and therefore a web site. At the time I purchased this device there were lots of postings about the USB scopes and I was hoping that I wasn't the first to have this issue.

I will try these suggestions and see if I can get it to work, it was very slick when it did, it produced very crisp details of the objects viewed, and produced an image that could be forwarded as needed.

Take care, ColoKid

If you can, post as much information as you can. Brand name, model, manufacture, pictures if you got them, web link... There are quite a few of these microscopes. I've got two, myself. One, like yours, needs hooked up to a computer. One works like a digital camera, and has a screen, but can also be used through the USB (never tried). I'm pretty good at digging things up on the internet, mostly for electronic repairs. Sometimes you have to asked the internet the right question, before it gives a useful answer...

Thanks Harvey

This USB scope was sold (and still is) on Amazon for about $25, and the SW DVD and the user manual say that its compatible with Windows XP, 2000, and Vista, although I used it fine with Windows 7.

I found a link for DigiMicro (the manufacturer?) and they have various scopes for sale on their site, but I see no drivers link or mention of updates to either Windows 7 or 8.

I did send a message on their contact link requesting information for Windows 8, we'll see what I get back.

Its not a big deal, the device was cheap so I'm not out much if I never get it working with my new computer and in a pinch I have a laptop running Windows 7 and another computer that I could bring up that is still using XP, it would be inconvenient.

thanks for the help and suggestions all, ColoKid

Thanks Harvey

I tried to download the 'driver' file and it is a .rar file, so I found a link for an unpacker and attempted to extract and open and the scope still acts goofy, with no particular image etc. I think I will write it off as a failed attempt and give up. Thanks for the effort here, much appreciated ColoKid

Did you uninstall the old driver, before installing the new one? May also need to restart the computer, to complete the update.

What does a computer and an air conditioner have in common?

When you open windows, they both stop working.

Anyway, Hope you get it resolved. Upgrading to Windows 8 is something I will never do.

Back
Top Bottom