Retirement Anniversary

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Sitting here looking at the calendar I realized I retired 4 years ago today. Being high strung and a time management freak I wasn't sure I would be able to adjust. Just the opposite, I have slowed down, learned to relax, almost to the point of being lazy and enjoy each day doing what I want. My Silverado I bought new in 2014. By 2017 I had 68,400 mi., mostly commuting miles. Four years later my mileage only reads 78, 200.

My advice, if you can retire, do so. When you think about it, in one way or another, in the working world, you serve someone else all you life. Take a little time to serve yourself and enjoy life a little and do the things that make you happy. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Mark

Verily, ye speak words of wisdom, markinspa! KT retired after 40 years in public service, in November of 2013. It had been a good run, but it was time for His Majesty to step aside and let someone who needed a job, raising a family, etc. to fill that position. KT left with good relations to the agency, and has at times assisted the present employees in their efforts.

But It is a great pleasure to know my time is truly mine now! His Majesty only suggests that one do this while they are still young enough to enjoy their remaining time. KT retired when He was 64, one year before He qualified for SS. That year went quickly and suddenly KT began to have more spending money than He did when buying the Castle, raising a family, and trying to save for the future! Then suddenly KT realized that now is the time He saved for all His Royal Life! Now is the time to enjoy, set my own Royal Pace, and do what interests me. A great time of life!

Congrats to you for enjoying the rest of your life! :D:D:D:cool:

Sitting here looking at the calendar I realized I retired 4 years ago today. Being high strung and a time management freak I wasn't sure I would be able to adjust. Just the opposite, I have slowed down, learned to relax, almost to the point of being lazy and enjoy each day doing what I want. My Silverado I bought new in 2014. By 2017 I had 68,400 mi., mostly commuting miles. Four years later my mileage only reads 78, 200.

My advice, if you can retire, do so. When you think about it, in one way or another, in the working world, you serve someone else all you life. Take a little time to serve yourself and enjoy life a little and do the things that make you happy. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Mark

Good advice. People ask me if I enjoy retirement. I answer no, but I enjoy not working. With the job I had, every day at work was horrible. There was not a single pleasant day in that 34 years, six months and 4 days.

It will be four years for me in May. More than enough cash and the afternoon naps are great. I love retirement!!

Steve

Been 4 years for me this month also, don't recall which day but was November , so glad i did. Was worried i would be bored with little to do , not the case at all.

Mark, I could not agree more with what you have said. I have been retired now for eight years, and did it on my own terms. I left the rat race a bit early in the game, especially since I am in perfect health and as to enjoy all of it too. The best decision I ever made. I can do what I want, when I want to do it. When I hear people say, that they love working, or their peers or customers, etc. I tell them I hope they keep loving them and keep working. As this will help the system as to keep my SS monthly deposits coming in...lol.

Mark, again, good for you as to finding and enjoying the real golden years of life! John

Funny this shows up in my feed today as I am approaching retirement eligibility next year at the age of 48 with 30 years of service! Should I stay or should I go? Ahh the decisions of life one must make- maybe an encore career or just take a year off to decide what to do…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark said in four years of retirement he put 10,000 miles on his truck. I just got a new Ford hybrid 6 weeks ago and already have 3,500 miles on it. I have to slow down!

I retired over 9 years ago at 62. Wish i had discovered this great hobby much earlier than just a year ago. Always enjoyed work, as a photographer but still get the opportunity to take on a few assignments i really enjoy.

Verily, ye speak words of wisdom, markinspa! KT retired after 40 years in public service, in November of 2013. It had been a good run, but it was time for His Majesty to step aside and let someone who needed a job, raising a family, etc. to fill that position. KT left with good relations to the agency, and has at times assisted the present employees in their efforts.

But It is a great pleasure to know my time is truly mine now! His Majesty only suggests that one do this while they are still young enough to enjoy their remaining time. KT retired when He was 64, one year before He qualified for SS. That year went quickly and suddenly KT began to have more spending money than He did when buying the Castle, raising a family, and trying to save for the future! Then suddenly KT realized that now is the time He saved for all His Royal Life! Now is the time to enjoy, set my own Royal Pace, and do what interests me. A great time of life!

Congrats to you for enjoying the rest of your life! :D:D:D:cool:

KT, Thank you your highness, like you I left my position to a young man with a family. Last I heard he was still there and doing a fine job. When I left I told him I wasn't doing him any favors and I have been told he has quoted me often. I retired at 63. Just could not see eye to eye with some of demands management was imposing. I did leave on good terms and have been ask to come back part time to help out when busy but I have told them I'm retied. And like you enjoying life. Good luck, Mark

Good advice. People ask me if I enjoy retirement. I answer no, but I enjoy not working. With the job I had, every day at work was horrible. There was not a single pleasant day in that 34 years, six months and 4 days.

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking What did you do for a living ? I can't imagine putting up with something that miserable that long. Like a bad marriage, sometimes you just gotta let it go. As far as work, I enjoy accomplishment, I just don't like being told by people who have no idea what my work entails but want to tell me how to do it. Hope you have found peace in retirement. I love it. Mark

It will be four years for me in May. More than enough cash and the afternoon naps are great. I love retirement!!

Steve

Steve, good to hear and yes naps when you feel like it and the round to it list. I'll do it when I get around to it. Reading your posts I assume you live out in the country, me I live residential and when I hear the neighbors out scraping the ice off their windsheilds I pop out in my robe with a steaming cup of coffee and yell good morning. My bad. Enjoy. Mark

Been 4 years for me this month also, don't recall which day but was November , so glad i did. Was worried i would be bored with little to do , not the case at all.

David good to hear. Ever notice, theres always something to do. When did we have time to have jobs. lol Enjoy Mark

Mark, I could not agree more with what you have said. I have been retired now for eight years, and did it on my own terms. I left the rat race a bit early in the game, especially since I am in perfect health and as to enjoy all of it too. The best decision I ever made. I can do what I want, when I want to do it. When I hear people say, that they love working, or their peers or customers, etc. I tell them I hope they keep loving them and keep working. As this will help the system as to keep my SS monthly deposits coming in...lol.

Mark, again, good for you as to finding and enjoying the real golden years of life! John

John I'll say your in good health, just from the amount of digging you do on every hunt. And I'm with you, let the workers keep working. We did it for those who came before us. Now its our turn. You see we get a raise in Jan. I don't know about golden years, to me it just seems to be all rusted and busted but I'll keep on swingin. Good to hear you are enjoying retirement. Mark

Funny this shows up in my feed today as I am approaching retirement eligibility next year at the age of 48 with 30 years of service! Should I stay or should I go? Ahh the decisions of life one must make- maybe an encore career or just take a year off to decide what to do…

ugadigger if you can retire at 48, God bless. Keep in mind the cost of health care. These days that is a major factor when you can retire' I retired at 63 and made sure I had enough health care coverage banked till I hit 65. Good luck with your decision. Mark

Mark said in four years of retirement he put 10,000 miles on his truck. I just got a new Ford hybrid 6 weeks ago and already have 3,500 miles on it. I have to slow down!

I retired over 9 years ago at 62. Wish i had discovered this great hobby much earlier than just a year ago. Always enjoyed work, as a photographer but still get the opportunity to take on a few assignments i really enjoy.

John I hear you, wish I had started mding much sooner than I did. Sounds like you travel extensively. Me I don't stray too far from home anymore. Glad to hear you are enjoying retirement. I know I do. Mark

You got the years but not the age to retire:roll: I retired from one job, took another job and worked long enough to earn a second retirement. If you decide to retire take a Govt job(postal service, etc) work 5 years, get vested and have another retirement.

Steve

You got the years but not the age to retire:roll: I retired from one job, took another job and worked long enough to earn a second retirement. If you decide to retire take a Govt job(postal service, etc) work 5 years, get vested and have another retirement.

Steve

Haha that’s my story! Government pension 30 years and out if I wanna go in June. Or I could keep padding the pension. Don’t hate my job but just thinking about something different.

Haha that’s my story! Government pension 30 years and out if I wanna go in June. Or I could keep padding the pension. Don’t hate my job but just thinking about something different.

There is no shortage of jobs out there, you could probably have your pick or what about a transfer to another GS position.
I got a letter the other day from the Sec. of Transportation here in Pa. saying we noticed you still hold your CDL license. School bus driver positions are immediately available if interested. I don't have the patience to put up with mouthy disrespectful kids. That would get ugly quick. And besides I'm retired. Good luck with your decision. Mark

There is no shortage of jobs out there, you could probably have your pick or what about a transfer to another GS position.
I got a letter the other day from the Sec. of Transportation here in Pa. saying we noticed you still hold your CDL license. School bus driver positions are immediately available if interested. I don't have the patience to put up with mouthy disrespectful kids. That would get ugly quick. And besides I'm retired. Good luck with your decision. Mark

I know in Missouri the state is in bad need of additional snow plow drivers for this winter , may not be enough drivers to keep the roads clear. no kids to deal with .

Congrats to you guys... so jealous! I had to turn down a nice buyout offer a few years ago because I'm still too young for Medicare. I have 37 years with a Fortune 500 company but healthcare is the showstopper.

I will be retired at the first opportunity, but I've got a handful of years to go unless something changes.

I'm still trying LOL.

It has been going on 2 years for me but my rough go had me getting part-time jobs. After this last dog bite, I'm trying to call it done, but I still have a few bills to finish off so another part-time could be in my future.

At least I'm back to walking again.

I know in Missouri the state is in bad need of additional snow plow drivers for this winter , may not be enough drivers to keep the roads clear. no kids to deal with .

Dave don't mean to sound callous, if it snows I don't need to go out. Its a young mans game, let them handle it. Many a winter morn I left before the plows for work. Unemployment is high but they claim there is a worker shortage. Maybe some, would just rather get paid to sit on their behints. Just sayin.

Congrats to you guys... so jealous! I had to turn down a nice buyout offer a few years ago because I'm still too young for Medicare. I have 37 years with a Fortune 500 company but healthcare is the showstopper.

Jim sorry to hear. Yes health care is a deal breaker these days. I knew one guy who went at 55, but he had a annuity that could cover him till Medicare. The changes to his benefits almost forced him to do it. Fortunately he could afford to do it but he still had to spend all that money for health care. In one phone call I had with him I ask him why don't you come back when we get busy, It'll at least give you a little F U money. He said Mark I have F U money. At that point I quit worrying about the guy. When I retired my health care was 1,464 every 6 mo. I had enough banked to get me to 65.
Maybe take a buy out and a less stressful job that pays benefits til 65. Good luck, Mark

I will be retired at the first opportunity, but I've got a handful of years to go unless something changes.

Great to hear you guys enjoying retirement. It’s been five years for me this month. Still not detecting enuf though. 🥺

Jim I hear you. Seems like I'm detecting less these days. Maybe old age creeping in. Slam the door brother another season will be hear soon. In the mean time enjoy the holidays. Mark

I'm still trying LOL.

It has been going on 2 years for me but my rough go had me getting part-time jobs. After this last dog bite, I'm trying to call it done, but I still have a few bills to finish off so another part-time could be in my future.

At least I'm back to walking again.

Terry I hear you. From reading some of your posts. lately you have had a rough go of it. Hold fast, thing will get better and hopefully the new year will bring new and better opportunities. Good luck, Mark

Jelly. I think I've got 10 + years, who knows. Sounds sublime though, congrats :)

Whaddaya mean 10 years. I thought everybody In Ca. was wealthy. You guys only worked to have a little extra cash to pay the grounds keepers.:lol: All kiddin aside, go when you can, enjoy family and life on your schedule and terms. God bless. Mark

Back
Top Bottom