Need tips!!!!

wflamholta

Hi, I am new to the hobby and was going to buy a metal detector for christmas. I'm from New York and I really want to go hunting before I have to go back to school. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Welcome from California... Start in your own yard... Seed the lawn with coins if ya need to so you can tell the difference between coins and junk... Just practice and ask all the questions you need to here on the forums... GL... HH...:detector:

If the ground isnt frozen then there isnt any difference between summer and winter. If it is frozen then you are pretty much out of luck. You should look places like playgrounds , sledding hills , fairgrounds , bus stops , abandoned lots , any place where people gather and have the opportunity to lose things. Be sure to check into these places and the local laws before you start though.

even without snow on the ground, things can be frozen as solid as cement. a bit of an exception to that rule is the woods. fallen leaves, moss, small bushes and dead-fall help insulate the ground from frost and digging there will be easier. even long grass that didn't get mowed that one last time can help keep the ground diggable! playgrounds with that pee-gravel in them can still be dug too. if you're a beach hunter, the area below the high tide mark can still be good.

Welcome from Wisconsin. What kind of tips are you looking for?

even without snow on the ground, things can be frozen as solid as cement. a bit of an exception to that rule is the woods. fallen leaves, moss, small bushes and dead-fall help insulate the ground from frost and digging there will be easier. even long grass that didn't get mowed that one last time can help keep the ground diggable! playgrounds with that pee-gravel in them can still be dug too. if you're a beach hunter, the area below the high tide mark can still be good.

Hopefully the ground thawed a little, its been warm this week. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Welcome from Central MA. Read as many posts as you can for ideas on where to hunt, what type of machine to buy and techniques. There is a of of history out in your neck of the woods, check old maps, visit the historical society and use the internet. During this time of year, leaves tend to insulate the ground, so spots in the woods like old cellar holes are better for digging. Anyplace where people congregate or have been at frequently in the past are good places to hunt. Check our code of ethics, get permission when you are not sure.
Good luck and post what you find, we love pics!

Back
Top Bottom