Edison battery Oil bottle cache

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Went out walking anywhere I could get through the heavy Summer vegitation so by the RR tracks I saw some broken insulator shards (lousy Hemingray 42 :() but also spied a couple of these small Edison battery oil bottles. Dug down and ended up with eight and none were broken :D.

These were filled with oil to top off RR signal light batteries along the tracks, among other uses. These are post 1915 as they say Bloomfield, N.J. instead of the earlier Orange, N.J. script. Many RR's used these into the 1960s.

Attachments

• SS858456.jpg
    SS858456.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 477
  • SS858457.jpg
    SS858457.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 490
  • SS858460.jpg
    SS858460.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
10-4 Is that a Standard?
I have a Standard Model B with a "C" reproducer. Also have a larger flower horn with the crane but not shown in this pic.

Very nice. Yes, it's a standard B also. I have 4 Edison machines, 4 flower horns and I believe 4 of the witches hat horns. I also have a symphony machine like you have. Also nine phonographs. My wife hates them.

Check out my Youtube channel for a couple vid's.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXwQ_sJCH7s3Z6PgqUiza1A

Steve

Very nice. Yes, it's a standard B also. I have 4 Edison machines, 4 flower horns and I believe 4 of the witches hat horns. I also have a symphony machine like you have. Also nine phonographs. My wife hates them.

Check out my Youtube channel for a couple vid's.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXwQ_sJCH7s3Z6PgqUiza1A

Steve

Lol. Yeah that other one is a Symphony (Columbia client phono.) Also have a Harmony client, Standard Model A (disc) , a few Victors, Columbia Grafonolas E-2, and L-2, Pathe Tabletop, Sonora tabletop, and a houseful of radios. Can never have enough toys. :lol:

A few more oil bottles

Here are a couple other ones I was able to find. The Union Carbide one I have somewhere seems to be M.I.A. at the moment.

Attachments

• SS858463.jpg
    SS858463.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 399
  • SS858465.jpg
    SS858465.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 391
Really nice. Off subject but do you have any pictures of all your bottle finds, or have you maybe posted them before? You have some nice stuff, I mean i saw those bottles in the background of the victorola.

Gotta love blue glass, thanks for the photos of the others! I was always more of a Tesla fan, but Edison stuff is still very cool.

Thank you! Those are all so pretty and interesting, great variety and from so many years ago.

The School Dairy Co bottle has an interesting shape and texture. I have to look up the Electric, and the Widemouth Telephone Jar. Can't imagine why a jar company would pick these names. In keeping with the times maybe.

Beautiful collection, thanks for the link.

Penny

Looked up the Telephone and Electric jars, but it did not say how canning jars got those kind of names. But, a dozen of the Telephone jars with lids could be had for 85 cents!

Cool! Edison battery oil was a bottle I also found walking the R/R tracks, along with a dozen or so colored insulators. Would have been around 1977.

I have a couple of those somewhere i found back in the 1990's. Saw someone post an unopened case of these several years ago.

Looked up the Telephone and Electric jars, but it did not say how canning jars got those kind of names. But, a dozen of the Telephone jars with lids could be had for 85 cents!

Penny, I always thought these were named like that because it represented something "new" and "latest", kind of like in the 50's they used names like "Sonic", "Explorer", etc. Cutting edge or the promise of the future so to speak.

Penny, I always thought these were named like that because it represented something "new" and "latest", kind of like in the 50's they used names like "Sonic", "Explorer", etc. Cutting edge or the promise of the future so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom