A First for Me

Compass

Forum Supporter
My wife and I were visiting Laguna Beach today and as we were walking down the boardwalk she noticed 2 young women with metal detectors getting ready to hunt. I started detecting over 50 years ago and haven't met many female hunters let alone such young ones - maybe in their early twenties. One was using an Equinox 600 and was new to the hobby. The other had a Garret Apex (?) and started detecting 10 years ago. Anyway - it was cool chatting with them.
On another note, after having one of my best years of detecting last year, this year was shaping up to be one of my worst. I don't think I found my first gold this year until after July but I haven't hunted as much this year either. However, my 2nd gold of the year was one of my top 10 all-time finds - a 13 gram 14k gold chain with a 13 gram 18k gold cross.
picture.php

The odd thing about this find is that I found it in the darkness and when I turned on my headlamp it looked cheap like stainless steel. It wasn't until I got home and was cleaning out my finds pouch that I saw the unmistakable gleam of yellow gold amongst the rusty iron and corroded zinc pennies. I've been surprised so many times when finding things at night but usually it's the other way around - something I think is good turns out to be junk. It's nice that the opposite happened this time. GL&HH!

My wife and I were visiting Laguna Beach today and as we were walking down the boardwalk she noticed 2 young women with metal detectors getting ready to hunt. I started detecting over 50 years ago and haven't met many female hunters let alone such young ones - maybe in their early twenties. One was using an Equinox 600 and was new to the hobby. The other had a Garret Apex (?) and started detecting 10 years ago. Anyway - it was cool chatting with them.
On another note, after having one of my best years of detecting last year, this year was shaping up to be one of my worst. I don't think I found my first gold this year until after July but I haven't hunted as much this year either. However, my 2nd gold of the year was one of my top 10 all-time finds - a 13 gram 14k gold chain with a 13 gram 18k gold cross.
picture.php

The odd thing about this find is that I found it in the darkness and when I turned on my headlamp it looked cheap like stainless steel. It wasn't until I got home and was cleaning out my finds pouch that I saw the unmistakable gleam of yellow gold amongst the rusty iron and corroded zinc pennies. I've been surprised so many times when finding things at night but usually it's the other way around - something I think is good turns out to be junk. It's nice that the opposite happened this time. GL&HH!

Congrats on the necklace. Must have put a big smile on your face once you saw it was gold. Looks ready to wear.

Congrats on the necklace. Must have put a big smile on your face once you saw it was gold. Looks ready to wear.
Thanks Steve, You better believe it! Surprising how many chains I have found that are completely intact. People must be doing handstands out there!

A super duper find with some weight. Easy to be fooled at night because of the light. Happens often unless your checking it out for 10 minutes.

A super duper find with some weight. Easy to be fooled at night because of the light. Happens often unless your checking it out for 10 minutes.
Spot on KOB and there's the rub - at night I don't want to attract attention so I only flip my light on for a couple of seconds - not enough time for the eyes to adjust.

Two great finds that day!

Some nice gold and chatting up the next generation of detectorists!!:cool3:

I think that mixed with the 2017 king tides that completely gave up the good and then brought back sterile sands for pretty much every so ca beach and then mix that with everyone and their momma wanting to hunt after watching all the fake YouTube hunters who plant rings, then do 1/2 live digs and show their gorgeous finds, and THEN add Covid this past yr and a 1/2 and you have terrible conditions. My last couple of beach hunts have been epic failures. Glad you found something !... Keeps me motivated.

Back
Top Bottom