• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

noobie here

Cityevader

Hello, I'm totally green on everything detecting, so of course the first post to this forum will be for initial advice on equipment.

First, I'm a broke single father.
Second, I'm a "buy once, cry once" type of purchaser.
Combine the two, and my price point is always where you get the best increase in performance for the least increase in price.
Third, this will be primarily a beach metal detector...probably encounter lots of trash and while I don't intend to go into water, it'll surely happen eventually, intended or not.
Finally, I like simple, intuitive controls on any device, but my son is mildly autistic and likes to fiddle with settings on everything, enjoying the fine tuning process.

Initial reading here got me a couple names to seek, and it seems the Simplex and Vanquish 440 come in right around the max I'd like to spend (of course, extras on top of the initial detector will add up quickly).

In terms of operating them, is one easier or better?
Or a different model that may be more competitive price wise without sacrificing quality?

Thank you.

Are you going to be hunting on fresh water beaches, salt water beaches, or both?

The Simplex is single frequency (SF) and the Vanquish is simultaneous multi frequency (SMF). SMF's work much better in salt conditions than a SF. SF detectors are often unusable in salt conditions.

The Simplex is waterproof, but the Vanquish is not.

If you're not going in the water, then the Vanquish is a great choice. If you plan on going in the water, then you will have to move up the price and get a Nokta Makro Legend.

The Quest Q10 pro is a possible alternative, but it is a single frequency machine (like the Simplex). I believe retail is around $200.

Quest doesn't seem to have a big user base in the states, but elsewhere (Europe) Quest seems to be very popular (and well rated). I'm not sure if Quest has a servicing dealer in the US, but there are outlets that sell Quest products (a couple of major outlets sell the Q10 pro).

Both the Simplex and the Vanquish are simple to use. I think the Simplex probably has a bit more tuning ability (going on memory of my brief use of the Simplex) but neither machine is complicated to use.

Being single frequency machines, the Simplex and the Q10 pro aren't going to be as stable (saltwater) or as deep as the Vanquish. But they are waterproof, whereas the Vanquish is not waterproof.

There are a number of Youtube videos showing people hunting in saltwater (Simplex) and doing quite well. I can't comment on the effectiveness (personally) because I never used a Simplex in saltwater.

If you lean toward the Simplex, give Quality Metal Detectors a call (he is a sponsor here). Last I knew he was still selling a package deal (Simplex) where you get a free coil when you buy the Simplex + package.

With your circumstances, I would go with the 440 and just be careful to not get the control box wet. The 440 is a lot of detector for the money.
Welcome to the forum!
Your and your son will have a blast on the beach.

Welcome aboard! Top of the line beach detectors can get pricey. May I suggest the Minelab Equinox 600. Priced right (Talk to Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors forum sponsor) and you won’t outgrow it. Best of luck!

To clarify, i do not intend to submerge whatsoever.

Is the frequency switching important only for detecting through salt water? Or is it the general salty atmosphere that's the problem?

The Simplex+ lives up to its name. It IS simple to use. I have owned a Simplex, a Vanquish 540 and an Equinox 600. And for ease of use and value i would rank them in that order.

Someone just starting out may struggle with the Equinox 600. I know i do.

A must have for the Simplex IMO is the smaller SP24 coil. And the Vanquish 440 comes with a 10" coil, again IMO, preferable to the larger coil on the 540.

And i really like the less compressed vdi numbers on the Simplex+.

Welcome to the forum from Central Massachusetts, I love my Vanquish 440, the Multi-IQ is fantastic. The Minelab tones are nice and clear, just have to be careful not to get the control box wet. Also you can get package deals on them that get you some of the extras free, mine came with a hand shovel, finds bag, loop and backpack.

+1 for the Vanquish. The 440 is a fine machine and SMF (Simultaneous Multi Frequency) is great for all purpose use on land or beaches, and even wading in creeks or low surf. I got my wife the 540 and her very first time detecting she found a silver ring. For the money, it's the best bang for the buck, simple to use, and even as you get more advanced in detecting, it will remain a joy to use. :cool3:

I've got a nox 600 and a simplex, since your gonna be beach detecting get the vanquish. It's a turn on and go detector and you don't have to ground balancing when on the beach unlike the simplex. Also the multi frequency will help when detecting at the water line with wet sand.

Also since the 440 is at the top end for price are you gonna have money for a sand scoop? If not maybe look into the 340, it should offer almost the same performance as the 440 just less adjustments.

Welcome contact sponsors (top right corner) will be the ones you should contact to steer you in right direction... top right corner for list.

I have and use a Fisher Gold Bug Pro on saltwater beaches and never had any problems. Granted it’s a bit higher frequency, which maybe in salt environments is a plus. Hmm, Anyway I did add a legend to my stable but, I’ll tell you I can swing the Fisher all day.

Back
Top Bottom