Hopefully new to detecting….

HaveFun

Hello everyone- I just found this site yesterday and registered so that I could try and get some useful advice and ideas on purchasing my first metal detector. Since I am just starting I was thinking of something in the $100-$200 range. Bounty Hunter seems to have a lot of entries in this price range, but I just don’t know. The more I read, the more I don’t know. For example, are any of the offbrands on Amazon any good? Do they have the same features as some of the more expensive models, or is it better to stay away from them? It’s a big question but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance for any help. If it makes any difference I am in the Western Massachusetts area.

Bounty Hunter was the first detector I owned. Of course, that was back in the 1970's, but they were solidly built and perfect for what I used it for-coin hunting in parks and schools. You might also look at the Minelab Vanquish detectors and the Nokta-Makro Simplex metal detectors. They are a bit above what your budget is, but they are perfect detectors for someone just getting into the hobby. Good luck and happy hunting!

Nokta makro simplex would be a great start IMO. The cheap amazon detectors might work, but I'd go with trusted brands. I would do a little research on this site, lots of good info! Welcome from the Central part of the commonwealth!

Welcome from Dodge City

What type of hunting do you have planned? Coin shooting at schools/parks/private property, beach hunting, relic hunting at old forts/campsites, prospecting, or a little bit of everything?

I'd shy away from off brands on Amazon etc. In your price range, nothing stands out -- I'd go for a cheapie Bounty Hunter, see if you like the hobby, or bump up to the lower cost but better detectors that will be mentioned here.

Or go used. I se a Fisher F2 with lots of extras in your price range in the classifieds. Good brand, good features, good detector. My main complaint is it uses 9V batteries, not AA.

Hello everyone- I just found this site yesterday and registered so that I could try and get some useful advice and ideas on purchasing my first metal detector. Since I am just starting I was thinking of something in the $100-$200 range. Bounty Hunter seems to have a lot of entries in this price range, but I just don’t know. The more I read, the more I don’t know. For example, are any of the offbrands on Amazon any good? Do they have the same features as some of the more expensive models, or is it better to stay away from them? It’s a big question but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance for any help. If it makes any difference I am in the Western Massachusetts area.

Edited to remove my recommendation of Simplex, after receiving mine.

The main reason for this posting is, besides simply getting a detector, digger, pouch, and a patch of dirt, please familiarize yourself with the "ethics" of metal detecting.

Also, practice recovering targets on your own yard/property before venturing out onto others. We are all responsible for behavior that reflects on the hobby and those who share in it.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing your finds!

Last edited:
I'd shy away from off brands on Amazon etc. In your price range, nothing stands out -- I'd go for a cheapie Bounty Hunter, see if you like the hobby, or bump up to the lower cost but better detectors that will be mentioned here.

Or go used. I se a Fisher F2 with lots of extras in your price range in the classifieds. Good brand, good features, good detector. My main complaint is it uses 9V batteries, not AA.

yep! :)

I agree with Cellrdwellr. Spend $250 and get the simplex. If you like it , it will be a great backup if you ever decide to get a more expensive detector. And if you don't ever do that then you won't need to do anything other than maybe a different coil if you choose to add a new coil. It will definitely get you a quality machine for the money.

I agree 100% with the simplex plus it is cheap enough and touted as an entry level detector, but do not let that fool you it is a very very capable detector, i purchased one for my grandson and liked what I was seeing so much that I ended up ordering a second one for myself, there is enough adjustments on the simplex plus that it will keep a newbie interested in it also if you then decide metal detecting is not for you I do not think you would have much issue in selling it to recoup your money the cost of the simplex plus is around $57 more then the max price you set, also steer away from amazon contact a dealer on the site or go to actual metal detector dealers on the web again steer away from amazon

just my opinion

Hey thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate the ideas very much-I never realized how much info is out there! I’m off to do some more reading & get a plan together so I’m ready when my wife asks me what I would like for my birthday…. Thanks to All.

I'm gonna go outside the normal answers you are going to hear when this questions gets asked. For your first detector I would:

Find the closest local shop that sells them (not box store, metal detector shop)
Call and ask what they have used on the wall that might fit your need.

Why local shop?

They will show you hands on how to use it.

They will know the "ground" where you are likely to hunt.
And what detectors would work good in your area.

They will also know any clubs in your area you might want to look into.

Later, when you get home and try it out, you also have a handy point of contact for any follow-up questions you might have.

IMO, the support you can get with your first detector is far more important than what model you pick.

Later, after you get your feet wet and know what you want, you can go "mail order".

With an absolute $200 maximum limit:
Minelab Vanquish 340

Thanks atomicbrh, yes I definitely want to keep the price at 200 or less so this gives me another avenue…

Get one of the detectors listed above.. do not buy something that is complete junk(amazon brank types)...you get hooked you can move up...

Bounty hunter might be a great detector.I almost bought one.👍
Minelab vanquish 340 is good
Stay away from Chinese cheapo Amazon off brands.
Maybe nokta simplex but costs more than $200.

Back
Top Bottom