New from France / Metal detecting game

Warem

Hello everyone I'm Etienne, a metal detectorist from France !

I joined you for few reasons, first, I'm thinking about joining a metal detecting rallye in UK someday so it might be useful to know a bit about the UK founds !

And the second reason is that I'm trying to do a (free) metal detecting game on smartphone : https://slymp.itch.io/archeo (for now it's a link just to try the core of the game, you can use arrows and space to play, it would be easier to play on Android)

The goal of this project is to made a big objects database which are found in metal detecting and be able to collect them and show them to your friends with a museum you can modify as your wishes.

Here is the description of the game (with Google translate) :

The alpha version is available in browser (WebGL compatibility required) and Windows for easy access. Eventually the game will be available only on mobile, Android initially.
xv2k.png

Regarding the state of development, for now we have focused on the gameplay part:
1) The exploration phase: move using the buttons, the directional arrows or the ZQSD keys, on a procedurally generated map until the detector signals that an object has been found.
baab.png

2) The collection phase: use the various tools at your disposal to dig up the soil. Be careful, the bigger the tool, the greater the risk of damaging your find, only your hand can prevent you from breaking an object. The pinpointer (the tool on the far right) allows you to safely scan the ground located under the cursor. (hover your mouse to make the bar appear, if there is nothing, the object is too deep you have to dig anywhere)
uzce.png

pg52.png
(new inventory sheet added later)
kwbx.png

A homemade database of about thirty objects, which will evolve in the future but sufficient for a first version. (the final goal being to have a database as rich as real life, with thousands of objects from museums or IRL detectorists)

In terms of the next features:
Audio: if the first feedback shows that the game has potential, we want to add sound effects and a soundtrack (if you are a composer / sound designer and interested in the project, let us know)

The store: it will be possible to earn a currency via different means (quests, resale of collected objects, market). This can be spent to improve his detectorist arsenal and unlock new destinations.

The museum: all the accumulated finds will be stored in an online inventory and can be exhibited in his personal museum, which can be visited by other players.
dgf8.png

The market: players will have the possibility of putting up for sale and therefore of buying the objects found during their explorations to complete their museums and thus make, for example, rooms or cabinets dedicated to certain periods.

As you can see, at the beginning I wanted to do it for my french mates, but sadly, you know that the laws in France are more restrictives and metal detectorists are afraid to show their objects for the database, so that's why I'm thinking about doing the game for UK first now

I would like to know what do you think about this project, and if you'll accept to help to do the database when the game will be finished

Thank you !

Welcome to the forum from the Finger Lakes Region in New York state. Good luck with the app.

Hi Warem,

I'm from the UK, I gave up metal detecting several years ago, but I still like to
keep in touch with what's going on.

How do you get on with detecting in France, as I thought it wasn't allowed in
most places ?

How do you get on with detecting in France, as I thought it wasn't allowed in
most places ?

Alan, can you please link us to where you're getting this info about France ? There used to be a compendium of all the European laws (re.: md'ing) web-link. But now I see that it's a members-only link ??

A quick google search now, & I see another couple of sites that purport to have an alphabetic list. Of Europe and countries of the world.

But here's the problem with any-such lists, that attempt to be a one-stop-shopping for entire countries : Is that often time, even though you might see "dire sounding verbiage", that fails to take into account that whatever it is you're reading pertains to public (like federal) land there. And doesn't necessarily apply to entities within the larger federal.

An example of this is the USA : If you banged on enough lawyers, bureaucrats, and archies doors here, you might be told "MD'ing isn't legal" And ... heck ... they could cite the scary sounding ARPA. :roll: But what that fails to take into account is that there's sub-entities within that. Like states, counties, and cities, that aren't bound by that. Ie.: the "scary" stuff only applies to federal land.

And even to the extent that someone could delve further and find out that something in a European country extends to ALL PUBLIC LAND (of any type), then that still doesn't mean that it extends to private land. Ie.: Farmer Bob can do whatever the heck he wants on his own land. Right ? :?:

Trust me: There's md'ing going on in France right now.

And even to the extent that someone could delve further and find out that something in a European country extends to ALL PUBLIC LAND (of any type), then that still doesn't mean that it extends to private land. Ie.: Farmer Bob can do whatever the heck he wants on his own land. Right ? :?:

Not necessarily. Here in Belgium, "Onroerend Erfgoed" ("Immovable Heritage") is responsible for archeology, and there's quite a few laws to make sure you're not doing any archeology without their approval. For instance, I can't dig deeper than ~10 inches while detecting, and if I find something from before or during WW2, I have to let them know. Both of these apply on public and private land.

I have no idea how things work in France. I heard of a "red zone" where there's enough bombs that you're not allowed to dig without proper precautions at all, but I'm not sure if that's true or an exaggeration of the guy at the bar.

Not necessarily....

thanx for chiming in. And re.: Your answer ^^ , I would add : Not UN-necessarily either.

Yes : I suppose some country could say that EVEN FARMER BOB can not (gasp) pick up a coin he spots on his land while plowing his field. Heaven forbid, eh ? But do you think Farmer Bob picks up that coin he spots ? Of course he does. And does anyone care or see Farmer Bod ? Of course not.

And I had to chuckle at the thing where you "can't dig more than 10" when detecting". How in the world did any such rule like that originate, for md'rs ? I have a sneaking suspicion as to why that came into being. Care to take a guess ? (And certainly there are people who go around measuring the depth of holes we md'rs dig, eh ? :roll: )

I just know this : I had a detector listed on Ebay in the early 2000s. But I had failed to click the "USA only" option. And I was dismayed that someone from a European country was the winning bidder. Spain or France or whatever. But the dude paid up front, including overseas shipping, so it was no sweat off my back.

As we corresponded about the shipping plans, my curiosity got the better of me: I looked up his country on that nifty compendium, and read that it wasn't allowed (or some such very dire sounding language). And I linked that to him saying : "I thought md'ing wasn't allowed there ?"

He replied that those nifty compendiums verbiage is for public land. Not private land. And that ....... quite frankly ..... where they detect, is so far back in the hills, that .... no one's around to care. And that there were plenty of hobbyists in his country despite the verbiage I had linked him to. And no ...... none of them were illegal or sneaks or whatever.

The lists, in essence, can often be a giant case of : "No one cared till you asked" psychology perhaps ?

thanx for chiming in. And re.: Your answer ^^ , I would add : Not UN-necessarily either.

Yes, of course, it's not like there's an official hiding in the bushes waiting for someone to dig that 11th inch :D I just wanted to provide an example where there's a clear law that applies regardless of public/private property, I'm not saying that's what happens in practice (and honestly, I've been on all of 4 hunts, I'm not qualified to speak about how it works in practice...)

Back
Top Bottom