• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Convince me?

evilpenguinj

Hey everyone

I have decided to get a metal detector come spring. I have pretty much convinced myself to get a Nokta Makro Simplex+. I mostly will be hunting in parks and forests. I am quite new to detecting, I did have a Tesoro Compadre at one point.

So either agree with my detector choice or convince me to get another model. Looking forward to hearing your opinions. I should also mention my budget is around $500 Canadian.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's about money, buy the simplex and learn it well. If you are the type to upgrade quickly, You might consider other options. Either way. it gets you detecting.:D

I doubt for $500 you'll do much better than the simplex from what I've heard

That is my budget, so I am looking for the best machine in that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to wait for others with more experience with detectors in the $500 range. Maybe the Vanquish. But others could tell you more about that detector than I can

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily need waterproof, but it’s nice to have if it starts raining. I will mostly be hunting parks and in the forest. Thanks for the reply!

I don’t necessarily need waterproof, but it’s nice to have if it starts raining. I will mostly be hunting parks and in the forest. Thanks for the reply!

Even if you don't plan to go jump in the ocean, you might find yourself tempted to get knee deep in a creek. You won't have to worry about dropping it into the water.

Also, it makes gently cleaning it a lot easier since you can just gently spray it down.

Seems like a decent choice to me. I have 2 Compadres and have found more GOLD with them than my Nox 800. I have been tempted to buy a Simplex for fun.

Contact a Sponsor on this site to order your Simplex - you'll save $$$

Sweep the coil of a Simplex over a small piece of iron and when it signals as a coin..... is that what you want?

I know it will do that.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like Simplex+ it is. I am surprised nobody has tried to tell me to get a Vanquish, or a Garett or something else. But that just goes to show that the Simplex must be tops in this budget amount.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like Simplex+ it is. I am surprised nobody has tried to tell me to get a Vanquish, or a Garett or something else. But that just goes to show that the Simplex must be tops in this budget amount.

I would go with the Vanquish 540 propack :yes:

Steve

Simply Simplex+

I bought the Simplex+ last October and never regretted. I got a bundle with wireless head phones and really good pinpointer for just under for just under $500.00. It was easy to learn and the controls are easy to navigate. Later I got the smaller coil to do areas with lots of signals and it helps sniff out good targets in trashy areas. I also added the longer middle shaft because at 6'5" I felt like I was bent over all the time. I would recommend it for anybody because it seems to make the shaft a little stiffer. I have run my Simplex+ over 10 hours on a charge and still had battery left.

I owned the Simplex and the Vanquish at the same time. Minelab's platform clicked better for me so I went that route.

If you are going to be hunting trashy parks then I would certainly make the SP24 coil part of your Simplex budget. For me, the smaller coil was a must. Without it the Simplex quickly overwhelmed me in high trash. I never took it off the machine once I got it. Good luck with whatever you choose and Happy Hunting!

The price on the Vanquish models is a lot more than the Simplex. Also I have heard of durability issues. They just look cheap to me, but I like the sound of their tones.

I had a 540 and have the 340 and durability was never an issue or concern.

I'm getting a Vanquish 440 for my wife this month, 2 reasons, 1st it's pretty much a turn it on and go machine. 2nd we both prefer the Minelab system of tones.

Back
Top Bottom