Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 01-23-2022, 08:49 AM

last spring i was helping someone locate a gold ring. Should have been an easy recovery, i ended up searching way more than i needed to. I changed coils and searched the area three times from different directions, and changing frequency on my detector. In the end i decided to give it one more shot and i was just barely moving the coil and the ring sounded off loud and clear. I slowed down my speed and find my targets have increased. So i reccomend a slower swing speed along with about a 50% overlap.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by beamwalker View post
last spring i was helping someone locate a gold ring. Should have been an easy recovery, i ended up searching way more than i needed to. I changed coils and searched the area three times from different directions, and changing frequency on my detector. In the end i decided to give it one more shot and i was just barely moving the coil and the ring sounded off loud and clear. I slowed down my speed and find my targets have increased. So i reccomend a slower swing speed along with about a 50% overlap.
I know that what you are saying isn't the answer for EVERY detector but I think it is sound advice for most.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:42 PM
Supporter

If you don't have many targets to listen to or maybe only listening for 3 tones max with lots discriminated out I guess you could swing faster. The targets I look for are generally to faint for that. I'd have trouble believing anyone in a target rich environment would not be missing a lot of stuff. I'd probably be considered hunting Etrac slow with the Equinox I bet. It's not a race. Or at least to me it's not.

Years detecting: (5) Equinox 800 (2), Coiltek Equinox 10x5, XP Deus, Garrett Carrots. Oldest coins: 1851 Seated Dime, 1863 IHP, 1865 IHP, 1867 2 Cent Piece. Total silver coins found: 150, 2022 silver coins: 32

Old 01-24-2022, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by longbow62 View post
If you don't have many targets to listen to or maybe only listening for 3 tones max with lots discriminated out I guess you could swing faster. The targets I look for are generally to faint for that. I'd have trouble believing anyone in a target rich environment would not be missing a lot of stuff. I'd probably be considered hunting Etrac slow with the Equinox I bet. It's not a race. Or at least to me it's not.
I always had better luck going slower. But I have hunted a lot of parks and there is too much, like you say to even attempt to go that fast.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Coin-Saver View post
I don't hunt for cars
You should, they're coins under those seats:

Old 01-29-2022, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jerrycoastalnc View post
You should, they're coins under those seats:
True..