Recommendation upgrade for M/D

PDshooter

I'm looking for recommendation on a new M/D. I have a Garrett ace 250 that I got for my 50th BD, 16yrs ago. Now that I retired from the work force :)I want to spend more time in the field M/D. I live in Indiana so most of the time will be M/D parks and fields, and lake Michigan from time to time.I have the Garrett P/P which is a major time saver. Are there any M/D that can discriminate against pull tabs and still pick-up gold. I really like how the numbers show up on the scale of the newer M/D. My eyes are NOT as good as they used tobe.:(
Thank you.

Congratulations on retiring! Do you have a budget in mind? There are a lot of great machines out there and a couple of new ones about to hit the market. A price range would help give you some recommendations. Good luck and happy hunting!

I started with the Ace 250 myself. I then got a simplex and a vanquish 540. I’m now swinging the Minelab 800 and I can’t see myself swinging anything else. It’s fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking for recommendation on a new M/D. I have a Garrett ace 250 that I got for my 50th BD, 16yrs ago. Now that I retired from the work force :)I want to spend more time in the field M/D. I live in Indiana so most of the time will be M/D parks and fields, and lake Michigan from time to time.I have the Garrett P/P which is a major time saver. Are there any M/D that can discriminate against pull tabs and still pick-up gold. I really like how the numbers show up on the scale of the newer M/D. My eyes are NOT as good as they used tobe.:(
Thank you.

It's hard to beat the value of the Simplex. Waterproof, big screen, different search modes. It'll keep much of it's value if you decide to sell it and upgrade again, but also not so expensive that you couldn't just keep it around as a back up or loaner.

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/simplex-metal-detector/

Pulltabs have very similar conductivity to gold rings so with all detectors you have to dig pulltabs if you want gold ,i'd consider an at pro since your already used to garrett and the waterproof feature would be usefull on lake Michigan,there's a couple guys that kill it there on gold rings with at pro's

Congratulations on retiring! Do you have a budget in mind? There are a lot of great machines out there and a couple of new ones about to hit the market. A price range would help give you some recommendations. Good luck and happy hunting!

Like to keep it around 500-700 ?

Actually, call the list of shops in the upper right that sponsor this forum.
You will be surprised at how nice a detector you can buy in your price range.
(There is also a AT Pro just listed in the classified section.)

If you want to make a leap to a new machine, sticking with Garrett will make the transition easier. The new ACE APEX will get you into the multi frequency type of machines at a good price. The AT Pro is also a good choice, as it is water proof and a great coin/jewelry hunter.

Good luck with whatever you get. Learn it well and it will find you lots of good treasure.

Below is a link to my summary of the APEX:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=285721

Attachments

• aug 30.jpg
    aug 30.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 280
The AT Pro and Apex are fine machines, but neither are worth their retail cost, especially the AT Pro. In other words, there are for more "better bang for your buck" machines out there.

Unless "the unboxing" is important, look to get either machine used.

The AT Pro and Apex are fine machines, but neither are worth their retail cost, especially the AT Pro. In other words, there are for more "better bang for your buck" machines out there.

Unless "the unboxing" is important, look to get either machine used.

Garretts are ok, but there is better equipment available! better technology too!
they ain't exactly giving them away, so smart money says check 'em all out!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

PDshooter: said:
That's a very reasonable shopping budget for both new detectors as well as very good condition used models as well. Teknetics Omega 8500, new in the box for $275; Garrett Apex with less than an hour use for $375; Nokta FORS Relic w/both coils and in beautiful condition for $395; Nokta Impact, with two extra coils, and weather covers, all brand new for $575; White's MX-5 w/9" and 6" coils in beautiful condition for $375; an XP ORX w/2 coils and very little use for $700 are all examples of quality used detectors in your price range.

There are other really good deals out there, and you could still shop for a new detector as well and stay in that budget. Used to your Garrett Ace 250 and Pinpointer? Well, you can buy a Garrett Apex that comes with their wireless MX-3 Headphones, then buy their AT Propointer with Z-Lynk so you can also hear the Propointer in the MS-3 headphones! All in your $700 budget which is what I did for each of my 3 Apex devices.

I mainly use my Apex for routine urban Coin Hunting applications but it can also do reasonably well for my Relic Hunting needs in some iron debris applications.

There are other good detectors, new, in your price range but don't hesitate getting a gently-used model, either. Over five decades of successful 'fun', some breaking in a new detector, but most by enjoying a good quality used detector. Just buy quality and put in the time to learn it well.

Monte

I'd recommend the Equinox 600 in that price range. Lightweight, easy to read display. I've had mine for 2 years and am very happy with it.

Welcome to the forum!

Best choice in your price range is the NOX 600. I have the 800 and LOVE IT. Light machine and VERY large VDI readings. Works great in and out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom