Gold ring #5 for March, plus a new first: 3 rings in one hole!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Last night, after dinner, I went detecting at a local high school. Drove around the building looking for a likely spot kids sit and lose stuff, and settled on a grassy patch at the building's edge toward the parking lot. These patches are all broken up by sidewalks to the doors. Each takes about 15-20 minutes to grid. Hope that makes sense...

First two patches I pulled a whopping $0.30 out of, but I wasn't expecting much, as I'd detected them last year and cleaned them out of a couple of bucks of change.

The third patch started just as badly, with nothing on the perimeter near bike racks and sidewalks. I hadn't detected this patch before, though, so I figured someone else had come through. Rather than just give up completely, I figured to do two diagonal passes through the patch to see if I could get any signals, indicating that someone hadn't been through. I'm now running the NEL Thunder, and it eats up coverage nicely, meaning it wouldn't take long for a coupe of passes. Glad I did!

First signal was a really strong 70 signal on the AT Pro. I dug it and found a pot metal bracelet (word band with a chain, like a diabetes bracelet, only it said something like "Harmony"). It was really corroded, but I figured if someone missed that, they'd miss more. I was almost dead in the middle of the grassy patch, so I stopped and simply turned perpendicular to the building and decided to grid one half of the yard. Immediately picked up a couple of quarters. On the pass back from the building toward the street, I hit a nice 58 signal that occasionally dipped to 55, but was solid. I should have video'd this one, once I saw it in the ground, but was too excited when I saw the gold color and stones. I pulled it out and popped the plug back before thinking. LOL
Here's the 5th gold ring this month! 14K gold, weighs 3.62 grams, but the stones did NOT test positive for diamonds. They appear to be CZ.

Straight out of the dirt
IMG_2025.jpg

A better picture, once I had it cleaned and polished.
IMG_2031.jpg

The weight
IMG_2029.jpg

No matter what, now, I knew my hunt was worthy of the hour I had to give it! On the next pass, though, I hit a bouncy bunch of signals that were ALL OVER the place.. I figured coin spill, so I jumped down and popped the plug. At the bottom of it, was a single penny. You know the kind of plug where you open it up and the coin is just staring at you. That was this plug. Figuring a coin spill, though, I worked the dirt a little and down popped a ring into the hole! Here's the video from that point on:
https://youtu.be/fyHckd3LeGg

I added the above link, because this doesn't seem to want to work!

For those that don't do video:
3 rings
IMG_2027.jpg

I don't know what the situation would be for those three rings in the same hole at a high school lot, but I'm thinking some Drama class play, and the kid left them out. They felt SOO cheap. Probably were like a buck a piece at some costume shop!

I finished the grassy grid, and managed to pull a total of $2.90 plus pennies out of the hunt. Add to it, the 14K gold, and it's not bad wages for an hour. wish they were all that good. :)

Skippy

Last edited:
That ring gets a wow , congrats , ,,,,,HH

Thanks. I was totally excited about finding one with diamonds again, but it was not to be. That being said, it makes it REALLY easy to just send in for scrap!

For a while, though, my gold rings are going to sit in the ring box. I need to get my dragon on, and hoard a little bit. Keeps me young.

Fantastic finds man! Damn these wannabe high school gangsters! Well your thankfully! Nice run at it I'm going to the local high school this next weekend ya never know!

MetalHead

Fantastic finds man! Damn these wannabe high school gangsters! Well your thankfully! Nice run at it I'm going to the local high school this next weekend ya never know!

MetalHead

Ain't that the truth. Stuff ends up in the grass in the weirdest places. Went out again today, went to 4 spots in 3 hours... managed $9.20 and another two rings, one of them nice solid silver. :)

Good luck to you!

Congrats on the gold! High schools are always good repopulators. I think the kids like to throw coins at each other:lol:

Congrats on the gold! High schools are always good repopulators. I think the kids like to throw coins at each other:lol:

one of the kids in our neighborhood kept a mason jar in his car, and picked up whatever change he found on the way to his car everyday, and put it in the jar. At the end of the year he cashed it in, and had $37.

You might be right, if he pulled $37 in SIGHT FINDS throughout the year!

Thats a beauty there Skip! That 3 ring tight spill is something we dont see everyday either....Congratulations on a heck of a year you are putting up!... Nice work!..

Thats a beauty there Skip! That 3 ring tight spill is something we dont see everyday either....Congratulations on a heck of a year you are putting up!... Nice work!..

Yeah, after a really slow start to January and February, it was nice to play a little "catch up" in March. Last year, I pulled 19 gold rings. I'd like to beat that this, year, but it'll be hard, because I hit so many new spots last year, that are now "empty."

My new hunt set is going to be the river where people do floats, but it's going to be tough because the flooding this year has been massive. Anything that'll be in the upper substrate for detecting is likely to be moved way down toward bedrock now. :( I'm hoping, though, that I can find a few pockets.

My son just dropped $150 he's been saving on an RTG travel scoop, like I've got, so we can both hit the river, when it lowers (probably July/Aug). Plus, we're both good for airline travel, for next year's cruise and Miami beach hunts. :)

Yeah, after a really slow start to January and February, it was nice to play a little "catch up" in March. Last year, I pulled 19 gold rings. I'd like to beat that this, year, but it'll be hard, because I hit so many new spots last year, that are now "empty."

My new hunt set is going to be the river where people do floats, but it's going to be tough because the flooding this year has been massive. Anything that'll be in the upper substrate for detecting is likely to be moved way down toward bedrock now. :( I'm hoping, though, that I can find a few pockets.

My son just dropped $150 he's been saving on an RTG travel scoop, like I've got, so we can both hit the river, when it lowers (probably July/Aug). Plus, we're both good for airline travel, for next year's cruise and Miami beach hunts. :)

What a great Plan! Although, you are doing pretty amazingly well right where you are at...Thats a LOT of gold, let alone everything else...You should probably think about doing a post regarding what you have learned about finding dirt gold...You really have a nose for it...With those kinds of numbers, It aint Luck...So you must have developed some pattern or noticings that we all can learn from? I'd be Super interested in what you have learned...

What a great Plan! Although, you are doing pretty amazingly well right where you are at...Thats a LOT of gold, let alone everything else...You should probably think about doing a post regarding what you have learned about finding dirt gold...You really have a nose for it...With those kinds of numbers, It aint Luck...So you must have developed some pattern or noticings that we all can learn from? I'd be Super interested in what you have learned...

Sure. Happy to do a write up. There's actually some relatively good patterns that show up after three dozen of them. I am consistently surprised that they keep showing up though. Some of them, though, just come from brutally hard gridding of neighborhood parks. There's always a "story" to why they "could" have been dropped where they are, but about 15% of the total just has no real explanation. Just "out there in the field." so to speak!

Back
Top Bottom