• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

98.7 MPG is looking pretty good with the current gas situation !

GKL

Forum Supporter
Yep, just took a pic of the dash this morning and as of now we are getting 98.7 MPG !!!!

This is the overall effective MPG factoring in using both the EV "electric only" mode and the hybrid mode (uses both gas and electric).

In the past we was getting over 120 overall MPG before we started traveling more outside our local town, now we might need to use hybrid mode for about 75 miles out of our total miles each week because of the trips that take us beyond the electric only range, but even so, I really can't complain about 98.7 MPG overall :lol:

Our car is a 2020 Toyota Prius Prime
(which is a plug-in hybrid that allows you to choose between driving in "electric only" (EV) mode or hybrid mode)
Prius Prime May 12 2021 MPGe.jpg

Prius Prime canopy.jpg

Prius Prime charging_the_battery.jpg

Nice!! Car wise, I am not wise in cars. I am to think that you mean "miles per gallon" for MPG, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also going green but with my detectors... The vanquish is getting a new pack of RECHARGEABLE batteries.

Josh

Nice!! Car wise, I am not wise in cars. I am to think that you mean "miles per gallon" for MPG, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also going green but with my detectors... The vanquish is getting a new pack of RECHARGEABLE batteries.

Josh

Yep, MPG is for "miles per gallon" and technically with plug-in hybrids they say MPGe which factors in the added overall distance afforded by using the "electric only" mode.

We're in it more for the overall economy of having to buy less gas rather than going "green" :lol: especially with the way gas prices can go up unexpectedly for various reasons, and/or even have gas shortages.

Hey, rechargeable batteries for detecting equipment is great Josh, sure beats having to keep buying regular batteries !

My Nox 800 obviously is a rechargeable detector, but I also use rechargeable 9volt batteries in my Garrett "carrot" pinpointer too.

Here are the ones I've been using for just over a year so far in my pinpointer and they still work great.

Includes 4 rechargeable 9volt batteries and a 4-bay charger all for only $23.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084X8X45X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

(high customer rating too, 4.5 stars out of 5)

Yep, MPG is for "miles per gallon" and technically with plug-in hybrids they say MPGe which factors in the added overall distance afforded by using the "electric only" mode.

Hey, rechargeable batteries for detecting equipment is great Josh, sure beats having to keep buying regular batteries !

My Nox 800 obviously is a rechargeable detector, but I also use rechargeable 9volt batteries in my Garrett "carrot" pinpointer too.

Here are the ones I've been using for just over a year so far in my pinpointer and they still work great.

Includes 4 rechargeable 9volt batteries and a 4-bay charger all for only $23.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084X8X45X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

(high customer rating too, 4.5 stars out of 5)

That's the only thing that wasn't green! It is a garrot carrot, so... Maybe it's supposed to be orange? :lol: I'll be sure to get one and maybe keep the rest as spares. :D

Josh

That's the only thing that wasn't green! It is a garrot carrot, so... Maybe it's supposed to be orange? :lol: I'll be sure to get one and maybe keep the rest as spares. :D

Josh

:laughing: hey, I usually try to use a different 9 volt each time so they all likely should last longer than using the same 9volt all the time.

With the gas shortages on the east coast due to the pipeline shutdown at least you will be able to get around . I know where our place in Florida is there are already stations running out of gas. That pipeline supplies the whole east coast , so should be lots of shortages and higher prices. A link about the pipe line shutdown https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...s-prices-and-supply/ar-BB1gEQ6C?ocid=msedgntp

With the gas shortages on the east coast due to the pipeline shutdown at least you will be able to get around . I know where our place in Florida is there are already stations running out of gas. That pipeline supplies the whole east coast , so should be lots of shortages and higher prices.

After I heard on the noonday news today that about 7 out of 10 gas stations in South Carolina were completely out of gas and prices were climbing I figured I might as well top off the tank of the Prime just in case the shortage lasts a while.

We live in a small town and the first two gas stations I went to were completely out, the third one was out of regular but still had plus and premium. I didn't need much to top off the tank so it was just an even $9.00 at $2.80 a gallon for plus to top off our tank. Hey, just over 3 gallons might not seem like much, but at an overall MPG of 98.7 even that much would add many extra miles :lol:

We don't use gas at all for the days we stay around town and can be on "electric only" mode the whole day, but at least we have a full tank to cover us for a good while for the times we do travel outside our local town and need to the hybrid mode for part of the trip.

After I heard on the noonday news today that about 7 out of 10 gas stations in South Carolina were completely out of gas and prices were climbing I figured I might as well top off the tank of the Prime just in case the shortage lasts a while.

We live in a small town and the first two gas stations I went to were completely out, the third one was out of regular but still had plus and premium. I didn't need much to top off the tank so it was just an even $9.00 at $2.80 a gallon for plus to top off our tank. Hey, just over 3 gallons might not seem like much, but at an overall MPG of 98.7 even that much would add many extra miles :lol:

We don't use gas at all for the days we stay around town and can be on "electric only" mode the whole day, but at least we have a full tank to cover us for a good while for the times we do travel outside our local town and need to the hybrid mode for part of the trip.

I thought I heard earlier it was 7 out of 10 stations without gas in South Carolina but now I heard it is closer to a little under 50% but I'm still glad it's not as big of an issue with the car we have :lol:

Gary, I just checked the news, I see what the current gas issue is. Lol they don't know that gasoline goes bad after a few weeks :lol:... Then they are so screwed...

I mean, look at this. Plastic bags? Really?

Screenshot 2021-05-13 3.02.35 PM.jpg

Gary, I just checked the news, I see what the current gas issue is. Lol they don't know that gasoline goes bad after a few weeks :lol:... Then they are so screwed...

I mean, look at this. Plastic bags? Really?

View attachment 484662

I think most gas will be okay for up to about 3-6 months if properly stored, but there are gasoline additives people can use to preserve the gas longer if needed, like when they store their lawnmower for the winter and want to be sure the gas doesn't go bad.

Here is a link I just found: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-long-does-gasoline-last/

(the above link shows there are some variables involved to consider though)

.......but plastic bags ? :shock: .....besides likely being illegal to use as containers for gas, it is potentially very risky and dangerous also, at the very least if one got a hole and leaked their car would likely be smelling like gas for a very long time even if they drove with all the windows down.

I think most gas will be okay for up to about 3-6 months if properly stored, but there are gasoline additives people can use to preserve the gas longer if needed, like when they store their lawnmower for the winter and want to be sure the gas doesn't go bad.

Here is a link I just found: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-long-does-gasoline-last/

(the above link shows there are some variables involved to consider though)

.......but plastic bags ? :shock: .....besides likely being illegal to use as containers for gas, it is potentially very risky and dangerous also, at the very least if one got a hole and leaked their car would likely be smelling like gas for a very long time even if they drove with all the windows down.

I just recently started my mower, power washer and generator for the first time since Nov. The power washer closer to a year. All three started right up with a few strokes. The mower, maybe closer to 10. Curiously, the power washer did the best out of the three. I was surprised.

I just recently started my mower, power washer and generator for the first time since Nov. The power washer closer to a year. All three started right up with a few strokes. The mower, maybe closer to 10. Curiously, the power washer did the best out of the three. I was surprised.

Wow, I haven't yet used fuel additive when storing my mowers for over the winter months but they still start up, the first time with the push mower takes more pulls than usual when using the first time after winter but it starts, the riding mower starts up fairly easily.

Thanks for the longer term update, great figures!
I'm still planning on getting a prius C, but still not at that point...
I know the plug in feature is what makes yours so high but it is still not offered where I live.

Thanks for the longer term update, great figures!
I'm still planning on getting a prius C, but still not at that point...
I know the plug in feature is what makes yours so high but it is still not offered where I live.

Being in a non-carb state here in South Carolina there are very few of the plug-in type of hybrids to be found for sale on car lots here overall, many very likely might not have any at all.

The few we saw available in our area doing an online search there was not the specific model and color we wanted so since we were not in a hurry back then we placed a factory order through a local dealership who in turn sent it to the regional headquarters who then sent the order to the factory in Japan.

So depending on where any individual lives they might have to do a factory order to get the plug-in hybrid they want.

I know of two guys near me here, one building a hydrogen-powered motor sickle, and the other building a hydrogen-powered Jeep.

I know of two guys near me here, one building a hydrogen-powered motor sickle, and the other building a hydrogen-powered Jeep.

Interesting, I think I remember hearing about hydrogen powered vehicles before.

I just wonder how safe it is to use hydrogen and how easily can you keep supplied with enough.

KT recently got interested in collecting fluorescent minerals and needed to upgrade His olde outdated UV lamps. What He found was a new generation of exceptionally easy to use portable field worthy lamps, based on Li ion battery technologies. There are several brands of long wave flashlight style lamps, Conboy and UV Beast being brand names. KT purchased a UV Beast Model T3, 365 nm wave length. It comes with 2 batteries 18650 and an extention tube to add a 3rd battery. 2 hour use with stock set up, with 3rd battery added, then up to 8 hours before recharging. Then KT began researching a portable Short Wave unit, and found Way Too Cool's 5-watt unit, uses 2 18650 batteries. His Majesty saw a comparison on a You Tube video between an 11 watt portable unit and this 5-watt unit...amazingly the 5-watt unit blew the competitor unit out of the water! So KT purchased the 5-watt unit. Fits in a small belt pack His Majesty already had and lasts 2 hours of field use. So at least KT has taken some baby steps into the "green movement". :lol::lol:

Prince John is a computer geek and still remains somewhat sceptical of the multiple computers used in the Prius. He presently drives an older Honda Fit gasoline sipper, getting over 35 mpg on regular gas. The Queen purchased a new vehicle a few years back and asked about the new electric Honda, but was advised by the dealer's repairman that it was at that time untested technology, so she went with a full gas model. The Toyota Prius cratered Hondas attempt to break into the electric market as that all electric was dropped by Honda after only two years of poor sales. KT does like the duel hybrid set up, two motors, one gas and one electric, giving a back up if one has a problem.

Very glad to hear of your successful use, and the Prius is in its 6th version now, correct? Improvements in each version as the Prius has become increasingly popular. Too bad Toyota does not yet make a Tacoma-sized hybrid truck....KT would seriously consider that!

KT recently got interested in collecting fluorescent minerals and needed to upgrade His olde outdated UV lamps. What He found was a new generation of exceptionally easy to use portable field worthy lamps, based on Li ion battery technologies. There are several brands of long wave flashlight style lamps, Conboy and UV Beast being brand names. KT purchased a UV Beast Model T3, 365 nm wave length. It comes with 2 batteries 18650 and an extention tube to add a 3rd battery. 2 hour use with stock set up, with 3rd battery added, then up to 8 hours before recharging. Then KT began researching a portable Short Wave unit, and found Way Too Cool's 5-watt unit, uses 2 18650 batteries. His Majesty saw a comparison on a You Tube video between an 11 watt portable unit and this 5-watt unit...amazingly the 5-watt unit blew the competitor unit out of the water! So KT purchased the 5-watt unit. Fits in a small belt pack His Majesty already had and lasts 2 hours of field use. So at least KT has taken some baby steps into the "green movement". :lol::lol:

Prince John is a computer geek and still remains somewhat sceptical of the multiple computers used in the Prius. He presently drives an older Honda Fit gasoline sipper, getting over 35 mpg on regular gas. The Queen purchased a new vehicle a few years back and asked about the new electric Honda, but was advised by the dealer's repairman that it was at that time untested technology, so she went with a full gas model. The Toyota Prius cratered Hondas attempt to break into the electric market as that all electric was dropped by Honda after only two years of poor sales. KT does like the duel hybrid set up, two motors, one gas and one electric, giving a back up if one has a problem.

Very glad to hear of your successful use, and the Prius is in its 6th version now, correct? Improvements in each version as the Prius has become increasingly popular. Too bad Toyota does not yet make a Tacoma-sized hybrid truck....KT would seriously consider that!

Thanks KT !!!!!

We're not so much into the "green" movement, as we are the extra "green" in our pockets :lol: from not having to buy as much gas especially when prices go up, also nice to be able to drive on "electric only" when gas stations run out like many of them did around here recently.

Anyhow, don't confuse the regular Prius with the "Prius Prime", the regular Prius is a hybrid, but not a plug-in and does not have an "electric only" mode.

The "Prius Prime" is a "plug-in" hybrid that allows you to choose between driving in "all electric" (EV) mode or in hybrid mode (uses combination of gas and electric).

The Prius Prime first came out in early 2012, we have a 2020 Prius Prime (XLE model) and here is a link to the 2021 model:

https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/

The neat thing about a plug-in hybrid is that when you are driving in EV (all electric mode) and you use up the battery power reserved for EV the vehicle will automatically switch to hybrid mode (the car reserves a portion of the battery for hybrid use).

A plug-in hybrid gives you the advantage of driving in EV mode and not using any gas at all when your daily travels for that day are local and you keep within about 25-30 miles before recharging. (the manual says 25 miles in EV but in warmer weather we have gotten up to 30 with the 2020 Prius Prime)

Also, being a hybrid you don't have the range anxiety some people feel with an electric only vehicle, you use the EV when driving local, but have the assurance of driving as far as you need to with also being able to use gas when necessary for longer drives.

No Toyota electric or hybrid trucks yet from what I read, but just did a search and seems like it might be by 2025:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-hybrid-electric-trucks-confirmed/

Not a truck, but for those who want something larger than a Prius Prime that is a plug-in hybrid I think 2021 is the first year for this model to be in the plug-in hybrid format:

2021 RAV4 PRIME

https://www.toyota.com/rav4prime/?icid=altfuel-suv-rav4prime

Florescent minerals are a minor side interest though I haven't looked at them much recently, I do have a few different inexpensive UV lights, but might check out that 5 watt you mentioned (just found the link online) to read about it. I think the florescent mineral hobby would be a lot more fun for me if I could find my own florescent minerals outdoors around here (that's the "treasure hunter" in me :lol:), but I think the really good places are limited to mostly like the florescent places in New Jersey and I'm not driving that far :lol:

I am surprised to hear you say that the regular prius does not have an ev only mode, the new prius C sold here has an EV only mode, figured the regular prius would as well...

I am surprised to hear you say that the regular prius does not have an ev only mode, the new prius C sold here has an EV only mode, figured the regular prius would as well...

I was just double checking the Toyota web site as far as the regular Prius and did not see anything about an EV mode.

I had not really looked in the details of the Prius C before so i did a search on that and found the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_C

....quote from the above link on the "Prius C" model:

"EV Mode enables electric driving for up to one mile." (end quote)

I'm thinking the very limited "up to one mile" in the "Prius C" likely is due to not being a "plug-in" hybrid. Perhaps that one mile of EV might be meant for emergency use to find a gas station if you run out of gas.

Also, looks like the "Prius C" was discontinued with 2019 being the last year for that model: (maybe they have some new unsold 2019s left in your area)

https://www.toyota.com/priusc/

.....quote from the above link:

"Prius c has been discontinued, making the 2019 the last model year. As a current or future Prius c owner, you'll still receive great service from your Toyota Service Center. Take a look at our growing hybrid lineup if you're in the market for a new one and discover your perfect fit." (end quote)

Toyota has several hybrid models, but as of now only 2 "plug-in" models, the "Prius Prime" and the "RAV4Prime":

https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/

Seems in order to have an EV only range of 25 miles+ like the Prius Prime a hybrid needs to be the plug-in type as a non-plug-in hybrid likely can't recharge the size battery that is needed for the longer EV range capability.

Back
Top Bottom