Japan, in the middle of Iowa?

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
I was able to get out for a few hours yesterday afternoon. I'm still hitting the urban park that's been producing for me this spring. I'm up to 8 silvers and now an IHP out of that park, as well as many wheaties. Today's finds included the 1902 IHP, a 1943 Merc, Five wheats including 2 from 1918, a 1928, a 1935 and a 1945. I was lucky enough that they all came out looking good except for the '45.

I also found a 10 Yen Japanese coin from 1952 there yesterday. You all are lucky, I had to get the wife's help and we learned a bit of the Japanese number system to get that date. Finally, a wedding band marked 14K but looks like it was probably brass with just gold gilt, and a "Jimmy Allen Flying Cadet: Colonial". I was thinking the pin was a promotional item from Colonial bread since they had a huge bakery here in town at the time, however, it was Colonial Insurance. The pins were given away in 1934. Apparently, Jimmy Allen was a radio personality on air from the early 30's to the late 40's. Anyway, enjoy some pics.

Attachments

• 05102021 1902 Indian Head Penny.jpg
    05102021 1902 Indian Head Penny.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 490
  • 05102021 1934 Jimmie Allen Flying Cadet Colonial wings.jpg
    05102021 1934 Jimmie Allen Flying Cadet Colonial wings.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 499
  • 05102021 wedding band 14k marking.jpg
    05102021 wedding band 14k marking.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 507
  • 05102021 1952 Japanese 10 Yen.jpg
    05102021 1952 Japanese 10 Yen.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 501
  • 05102021 total finds.jpg
    05102021 total finds.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 502
Good show.

As far as the Japanese coin, this no doubt came back with a soldier or sailor who was stationed at an occupation base in the Pacific. The USA has maintained bases there, even to this day. We get a lot of coins from Europe and Asia area, at military bases. And based on the dates, it plain to see that they came back with returning GI's. Both from conflict era, or occupation bases during the cold war to modern era.

Nice hunt! I recently dug a ring marked 18k but it also came out very tarnished and copper looking. Someone got sold a :worms:

Good show.

As far as the Japanese coin, this no doubt came back with a soldier or sailor who was stationed at an occupation base in the Pacific. The USA has maintained bases there, even to this day. We get a lot of coins from Europe and Asia area, at military bases. And based on the dates, it plain to see that they came back with returning GI's. Both from conflict era, or occupation bases during the cold war to modern era.

Your absolutely right Tom. My grandfather served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II. I used to enjoy looking over his Navy issue trunk full of "Japanese" artifacts he brought home from the War.

Nice hunt! I recently dug a ring marked 18k but it also came out very tarnished and copper looking. Someone got sold a :worms:

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I didn't clean it up until I got home from the hunt since it didn't have the look or weight of Gold in the field. I was quite surprised to find the marking on the inside after I cleaned it.

Nice group of finds. I especially like the pin which looks similar to one I had when I was kid. The one I had was also put out by a bakery in the New England area called "Harvest Bread". They sponsored a TV show for kids with rocket ships and space cadets but I can't remember the name.

Nice group of finds. I especially like the pin which looks similar to one I had when I was kid. The one I had was also put out by a bakery in the New England area called "Harvest Bread". They sponsored a TV show for kids with rocket ships and space cadets but I can't remember the name.

These are the stories that make this hobby so much fun! Thanks for sharing.

I found a 1 Yen coin in Wisconsin about two weeks ago. I can't figure out the date yet. It was at the top of a sledding hill.

My dad was a WWII Marine, Pacific theatre. He had all sorts of coins; plus a cool knife. All long gone, now...

Grateful for his service. Yes, I don't have my grandfather's "souvenirs" either. I'm not the biological grandson, there are two of those, so I'm hoping one or both of them ended up being the recipients.

Silverhorse65 , I would love to post a picture of my 1Yen coin. However at this point I still can't figure out how to post photos. I did read the " How to " on this forum. Eventually I'll get it.

Silverhorse65 , I would love to post a picture of my 1Yen coin. However at this point I still can't figure out how to post photos. I did read the " How to " on this forum. Eventually I'll get it.

Let's see if I can help.

click on "quote" to quote this thread...scroll down to "additional options"...click on "manage attachments"...a separate box should pop up in the top left of your computer...click on "choose file"...find the file you want to upload from your computer and click on it...once it shows up your final click is "upload".

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom