Thinking of a new detector purchase. Help me decide...

NickelPlate

Hey All,

I've been using a Garrett ACE 400 now for over a year and am looking for a backup detector or perhaps even something that will replace it. After all of the reading at the moment I'm thinking a Vanquish 440 or 540. Mainly because I really want to try a Minelabs machine to see if it lives up to all of the hype those machines get around here. I really like the form factor of the Vanquish as well. Almost identical to the ACE.

I'm leaning more towards the 440 mainly because it comes with a smaller coil and it isn't a major investment. I ended up with a long term injured arm swinging my ACE last year like a wild man and learned to love smaller, lighter weight coils and more careful arm movements :yes:.

The question is, for those who have used both will either the 440 or 540 be that much better than my ACE 400 or is it more of side step?

Thanks,

NP

Hey All,

I've been using a Garrett ACE 400 now for over a year and am looking for a backup detector or perhaps even something that will replace it. After all of the reading at the moment I'm thinking a Vanquish 440 or 540. Mainly because I really want to try a Minelabs machine to see if it lives up to all of the hype those machines get around here. I really like the form factor of the Vanquish as well. Almost identical to the ACE.

I'm leaning more towards the 440 mainly because it comes with a smaller coil and it isn't a major investment. I ended up with a long term injured arm swinging my ACE last year like a wild man and learned to love smaller, lighter weight coils and more careful arm movements :yes:.

The question is, for those who have used both will either the 440 or 540 be that much better than my ACE 400 or is it more of side step?

Thanks,

NP

I've used and had the vanquish 440. GREAT machine, perfect coil and really good bang for the buck. If you are thinking of selling the ace, maybe sell that and get a vanquish.

Let's see the others' advice!

Josh

I have both, and have to say the 440 is in another league compared to the ace.

Equinox 600 or 800. The simplex too it’s not a bad machine just can’t use the garret pinpointer with it. Makes it go nuts. The detector

I have both and the 440 is definitely a step up from the ace 400. I also have a simplex and I would actually suggest that over both. The features of the simplex are far above the ace and when you add the Bluetooth headphones, it's a no brainer. The ace is a fine detector and I found a lot of amazing things with it, but the technology can't compare to the newer offerings out there. Good luck with your decision.

I have a equinox 800 now for about 2.5 years. I also own a vanquish 540 that my kiddo mainly uses and is my backup. To be entirely honest I would just get the nox 600 over the vanquish. That extra lil coin will be worth it in my opinion. I am not a fan of the vanquish

If I can also add I got the equinox 600 and I’ve ran it over places I’ve pounded with other machines and I’ve found a few seated coins and other silvers just turning the machine on and turning up the sensitivity to 25 that’s it. This machine likes wheat too. Deep ones.

You CAN use the garret pinpointer with the Simplex+. Yes it does make the Simplex+ "chatter" but the latest update on the Simplex+ added a mute button.
Just mute the machine then use the pinpointer. It is my preferred method.

I have the Simplex+ pulsedive pointer too but it is too big, too heavy and has stiff, hard to use buttons.

I vote for the vanquish 440 over everything said here.. Had the simplex, vanquish 540 and 440 ,a equinox 600 and 800.. Just my opinion,but I highly doubt you'll find more with a equinox 800 over a vanquish 440 to make up the difference in price. Both machines sound the same,same visual ID, Same technology... Now, this is just my opinion,and I'm not trying to split hairs because I use high dollar machines and low dollar machines,,but unless your pounding the dirt 10 hours a day,gold nugget shooting or don't mind spending 650 to 950 just to squeeze every last wheat penny from the park then get the vanquish 440... The 440 is so underrated it's insane

I vote for the vanquish 440 over everything said here.. Had the simplex, vanquish 540 and 440 ,a equinox 600 and 800.. Just my opinion,but I highly doubt you'll find more with a equinox 800 over a vanquish 440 to make up the difference in price. Both machines sound the same,same visual ID, Same technology... Now, this is just my opinion,and I'm not trying to split hairs because I use high dollar machines and low dollar machines,,but unless your pounding the dirt 10 hours a day,gold nugget shooting or don't mind spending 650 to 950 just to squeeze every last wheat penny from the park then get the vanquish 440... The 440 is so underrated it's insane

That is not entirely correct. I have both. And have probably over 1250 hrs on the nox. The vanquish screen is subject to failure Way more than the nox. That’s the least issue. The nox is way more programmable than the vanquish which in all reality isn’t at all. So the 540 pro pack is roughly 500 the nox 600 is roughly 650.
The vanquish at that level comes with the blue tooth headphones instead of wired or none at all. The 600 has wired not ideal in all reality.

I am pointing this out for you specifically.

You have been detecting. Why not invest in something that is better.

You can find more with a 600 over any vanquish if you tune it up. Keep in mind technically you can tune a 800 even more.

You are in pre set modes with any vanquish. Look before I learned my nox and set it up for what I am doing success was lack luster. If I would of turned on and detected sure I would of found stuff. But not like once the nox was dialed. I will put my money where my mouth is I would trade this 540 pro pack with maybe 40 hrs on it for a 600 any day of the week. Any takers? I would even add maybe lol

I was gonna bring up waterproof but that probably isn’t a solid debate with what appears to be a high failure rate. I however have had my 800 under water with no issues thank god.

Oh and that vanquish was bought in December. Wish I had got a 600 or a simplex. If I had gone simplex I would have then pre ordered the coiltek 10x5 for me and been a wash. Doh

I do agree about the multi and underrated though.

I've used and had the vanquish 440. GREAT machine, perfect coil and really good bang for the buck. If you are thinking of selling the ace, maybe sell that and get a vanquish.

Let's see the others' advice!

Josh

agreed!..the 440 is great value, and one heck of a coin sniper!
get rid of the Garrett as the vanquish will eat it's lunch!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

agreed! the "best" value in the line IS the 440,and is a great little detector.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

That is not entirely correct. I have both. And have probably over 1250 hrs on the nox. The vanquish screen is subject to failure Way more than the nox. That’s the least issue. The nox is way more programmable than the vanquish which in all reality isn’t at all. So the 540 pro pack is roughly 500 the nox 600 is roughly 650.
The vanquish at that level comes with the blue tooth headphones instead of wired or none at all. The 600 has wired not ideal in all reality.

I am pointing this out for you specifically.

You have been detecting. Why not invest in something that is better.

You can find more with a 600 over any vanquish if you tune it up. Keep in mind technically you can tune a 800 even more.

You are in pre set modes with any vanquish. Look before I learned my nox and set it up for what I am doing success was lack luster. If I would of turned on and detected sure I would of found stuff. But not like once the nox was dialed. I will put my money where my mouth is I would trade this 540 pro pack with maybe 40 hrs on it for a 600 any day of the week. Any takers? I would even add maybe lol

I was gonna bring up waterproof but that probably isn’t a solid debate with what appears to be a high failure rate. I however have had my 800 under water with no issues thank god.

Like I said,I'm wasn't trying to split hairs but since you brought a few things up,I'll adress them with my opinion,compared to your opinion.
First, the nox isn't as stable as the 440. The vanquish runs smooth and I've used it in places the Equinox wouldn't settle down. Ergonomics, nox isn't the best,440 is a dream to swing in comparison..I agree the 800 can be set up seven ways to Sunday. And you'll find stuff. Vanquish has limited settings but also finds stuff
I've never set my watch to see how many hours I have in a machine,but I use the nox and vanquish alot .Truth be told I find just about the same amount with both, no mind blowing scratching my head finds from the nox or the vanquish. Both good machines, ease of use vs fiddling and price is what I see seperating them as far as actual finds,and that's what really counts,finds
No one would trade you a nox for your 540, too much difference in price.So that’s not really putting your money where your mouth is. Add $500 and I'll trade you a new 800.
Both are good machines,and like I said no matter how much fiddling your doing are you really finding anything worthwhile day in and day out? If it’s not consistent then what’s the use.
I have a ton of coins,all found. Most are worth a buck or two,some a little more.even these seated dimes etc people post can be bought on eBay for under $20,and if it takes a $650 to $950 ,well the return isn’t that good imo. But hey,it’s all just my opinion,and yours. Good luck to you

Last edited:
The equinox 600 is not totally out of the realm of possibility but I do have some concerns about some of the issues people seem to be having, water leakage, coil ears breaking, shaft wobble and pinpointing difficulties. I don't see myself diving or getting into a wet suit but it would be nice to detect some creek beds if the feature is available and not have to worry if I drop or set the machine down in the water to dig. I have done some freshwater beach detecting but stay away from the deep water.

Last edited:
Like I said,I'm wasn't trying to split hairs but since you brought a few things up,I'll adress them with my opinion,compared to your opinion.
First, the nox isn't as stable as the 440. The vanquish runs smooth and I've used it in places the Equinox wouldn't settle down. Ergonomics, nox isn't the best,440 is a dream to swing in comparison..I agree the 800 can be set up seven ways to Sunday. And you'll find stuff. Vanquish has limited settings but also finds stuff
I've never set my watch to see how many hours I have in a machine,but I use the nox and vanquish alot .Truth be told I find just about the same amount with both, no mind blowing scratching my head finds from the nox or the vanquish. Both good machines, ease of use vs fiddling and price is what I see seperating them as far as actual finds,and that's what really counts,finds
No one would trade you a nox for your 540, too much difference in price.So that’s not really putting your money where your mouth is. Add $500 and I'll trade you a new 800.
Both are good machines,and like I said no matter how much fiddling your doing are you really finding anything worthwhile day in and day out? If it’s not consistent then what’s the use.
I have a ton of coins,all found. Most are worth a buck or two,some a little more.even these seated dimes etc people post can be bought on eBay for under $20,and if it takes a $650 to $950 ,well the return isn’t that good imo. But hey,it’s all just my opinion,and yours. Good luck to you

500 lmao. I would trade the vanquish plus 150 for a 600 in a heartbeat. It is also heavier (the vanquish) than my nox. The vanquish is fine and all but for a lil more coin it is well worth it to get the 600.

Back
Top Bottom