• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Total novice from Bucks County Pa

Bophus

I’m totally new to metal detecting and very willing and eager to learn. I’m in upper bucks county Pennsylvania currently. We are planning on moving a little north to the pocono area shortly.

I don’t really know what I’m doing. Don’t really know what to skip yet, but I’m learning. I bought a Fisher F22 and a pin pointer to start. I’ve only really hunted Nockamixon state park, but have no idea where I should be looking, the trails I went down proved fruitless and Ive found only trash and an old padlock venturing into the woods.

Any advice or recommendations are welcome and I hope I can become somewhat knowledgeable and help others in the future.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Location is always a prime factor in metal detecting as you can't find what ain't there.

Not being familiar with your area I can't offer specific locations.

Generally speaking as far as out of the way places you need to do research to see if there used to be activity in areas you might consider.

Here is one resource to see what old aerial photos there might be:

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Other than that some ideas are:

Detect your own property, just might be surprised what you might find

Local parks (as long as there are not any "no metal detecting" signs)

Private property permissions, try asking people you know first.

......before digging on other's properties be sure you have practiced digging good plugs in your own yard first so as to make it look as if you never dug in the first place.

Welcome from central Mass, one good thing to do when learning what your detector is telling you is dig everything. That way you’ll get familiar with the different sounds targets make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:fmdfwelcome: Thanks for joining us!

If possible, practice detecting in your own yard. This will help you become acquainted with your detector, as well as give you experience in digging and filling nice, neat plugs (holes) - which is pretty important. Plus, you never know what interesting metal objects are hiding beneath your turf! :yes:

Welcome to the hobby! Everything mentioned above plus find a detecting partner that has some experience. Don’t get frustrated! This hobby is like fishing! You never know what you’ll catch or if you do you never know if it’s a keeper until you reel it in!

Welcome to hobby and the forum from Pittsburgh. Youtube has a great deal of videos on everything mding related and I'm sure there is at least one on your particular machine with tip and techniques for its use. And then again the members here are always willing to help if you have a question or two. Good luck & good hunting. Mark

Welcome i am in Bucks County. Go to County parks office get permit to detect County parks.

Covid sucks for knocking on doors. Lots of tot lots. Every boro or township has a park. Call ahead get permission.

Good luck

Koz

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard! I cut my teeth with a Fisher F22 a couple of years ago. It's a nice little machine for clad coin hunting and jewelry hunting. It's got excellent discrimination and it's small coil size allows you to hunt small, trashy areas. I would suggest local parks, especially in and around the tot lots and basketball courts. Also hunt ballfields, especially around the edges of the fields where parents and siblings congregate while watching the games. Also, near any snack stands that service the crowd. Finally, school yards and curb strips, especially curb strips that are in school parking lots. Good luck!

Thank all so much. That arial photo site will be a life saver. I walked around Nockamixon, on the trails, looking at google maps trying to figure out what I though might be a house. It turns out I was correct on one of them, but really wrong on another. Also, another place that I was 100 percent sure there was a house, wasn’t even close to a house.

I’ve learned quite a bit about my machine in the past few days. 75 is 99% a quarter. 65 is usually a dime or a can. I’ve found lots of absolute junk and I’m sure that’s what will make up the majority of my finds.

I’m going to contact the country parks office today to see what they need from me to get a permit and I’m also going to hit the local parks and especially ball fields. We have a really big outdoor soccer complex, so that should be a great start.

Thank you all for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom