Acme Thunderer

campnagle

Elite Member
Was able to drill out lanyard hole, was crusted shut with chain.
Other has been my hiking whistle for years and I think it's called a trench whistle.

Attachments

• 20210507_063515.jpg
    20210507_063515.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 399
  • 20210507_063446.jpg
    20210507_063446.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 393
Well rescued.

"WW1 Whistles used by Infantry and Artillery - ACME Made

Whistles were a vital communication tool on World War One battlefields - their sound told troops it was time to go "over the top" and also warned artillerymen that their gun was about to fire, so that they could avoid being injured by the recoil. Most of them were made by ACME Whistles, who are still manufacturing at the same premises in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham.

Demand grew so big, according to Simon Topman from the company, that they ran out of brass to make whistle's from, and had to appeal directly to the government. "They rushed around to Cadbury's, borrowed a pile of biscuit tins, sent them around to us and we stamped whistles out of biscuit tins," he added. The company also has a letter from a Sgt TW Harper saying one of their whistles saved his life by taking the impact of a bullet that hit him in the chest in 1914."

Congrats , Nice whistles ! That Trench whistle is a very cool artifact .

Nice ID by Doug , thanks Doug ! Now when I hear one in an old war movie I'll know what they look like .

I found a freshly dropped Acme Thunderer in a Park several years ago , a great whistle .

Back
Top Bottom