Vanquish 440

Canada Swinger

Hi I just got started at Metal Detecting and haven't got out any where but my yard. Just wondering if anyone that has a Vanquish 440 have any tips or anything to help a newbie.

I started about 6 weeks ago with my new Vanquish 540. My suggestions:
1.) If you're looking for coins, test one of each laying on the ground just to get an idea of the VDI #.
2.) Watch youtube videos! So many good ones out there talking about starting out. (I've found the videos by DetectorBen and The History Digger to be the most helpful.)
3.) Practice digging plugs in your backyard first. You shouldn't be able to tell where you dug.
4.) Be prepared to dig LOTS of trash in the form of nails, pop tops, pull tabs, aluminum foil, can slaw, etc. Soon you'll have plenty of motivation to learn how to avoid digging those. :)

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

I am also a noob (I ordered a Vanquish 440 today, have been using an old RadioShack detector). I would say to read the V440 owner's manual if you have not already.

Just search for it on Google and download the PDF (I don't think it comes in the box). The manual has some information on the different modes (coin, relic, jewelry, all metal) and how they differ in depth, discrimination, and recovery speed.

Another thing which would be helpful (on page 14 of the manual) is to check signals using all metal mode (horseshoe button). The three main modes on the V440 (coin, relic, jewelry) discriminate out iron by default, so if you sweep the coil over a "mixed signal," you will only hear the non-ferrous component. However, if you check the target in all metal mode, you might be able to hear a ferrous signal (low tone) mixed in, which could indicate trash. I will definitely utilize this "trick" once I start detecting with the V440.

1.) If you're looking for coins, test one of each laying on the ground just to get an idea of the VDI #.

Good advice. I will be almost exclusively "coin-shooting," and the first thing I plan to do when the V440 is delivered is to test different coins (wheat penny, war nickel, silver dime, etc.) for VDI. It might also be a good idea to test a "coin spill" to see how the detector responds.

Good advice. I will be almost exclusively "coin-shooting,"

Since you will be coin-shooting, I'll tell you that pop-tops will be your nemesis for finding nickels. Nickels should be 12-13. Pop tops will read 12-14. I've probably missed a few nickels, but I hate digging pop tops. lol

Since you will be coin-shooting, I'll tell you that pop-tops will be your nemesis for finding nickels. Nickels should be 12-13. Pop tops will read 12-14. I've probably missed a few nickels, but I hate digging pop tops. lol

Good info, thanks.

Thanks for the help. Just wondering there's anything on the net to help out what the tones mean. Just new at this and using my 440 on all metal mode.

Thanks for the help. Just wondering there's anything on the net to help out what the tones mean. Just new at this and using my 440 on all metal mode.

There is information in the manual about the three tones (low, mid, high) as well as the tone breaks. If you are trying to learn the target IDs (I am as well), I have found that it is helpful to watch YouTube videos of the Equinox 600/800 in action. There is not much info about the V440's target IDs online, but the Equinox has virtually identical target IDs.

I am also a noob (I ordered a Vanquish 440 today, have been using an old RadioShack detector). I would say to read the V440 owner's manual if you have not already.

Just search for it on Google and download the PDF (I don't think it comes in the box). The manual has some information on the different modes (coin, relic, jewelry, all metal) and how they differ in depth, discrimination, and recovery speed.

Another thing which would be helpful (on page 14 of the manual) is to check signals using all metal mode (horseshoe button). The three main modes on the V440 (coin, relic, jewelry) discriminate out iron by default, so if you sweep the coil over a "mixed signal," you will only hear the non-ferrous component. However, if you check the target in all metal mode, you might be able to hear a ferrous signal (low tone) mixed in, which could indicate trash. I will definitely utilize this "trick" once I start detecting with the V440.

Excellent post. Concur with EVERYTHING poster stated. I swing an ETRAC and use the "Mask" function (no discrimination mode) to check for iron and decide whether to dig or not. All Metal Mode is good for helping with "separation" of targets in close proximity. I just purchased a Vanquish 440 myself (ETA delvy = Monday) based on videos showing comparisons and its light wt., apparent QUICK recovery speed, target stability at depth and reviews I've read. :wow: A lot of capability at a very VERY competitive price!!!! :shock: Good luck and HH

Back
Top Bottom