On Cloud 9, first silver coin ever......

John Madill

Elite Member
Well 6 months to the day i got my first detector i found my first silver coin. Most of those 6 months were Michigan winter months so it may not be as bleak as it sounds.

But after digging up 36 pop tops Tuesday this was quite a thrill. Went to a well-hunted park along a river with ball fields, picnic area, skate park, etc. Got a solid 83 on my Simplex+ from all directions in Park 2 mode. I was using a new coil i bought last week, an SP24. Smaller than the standard coil.

Detector said it was 4 inches deep. When i first glimpsed it in the plug it looked like one of the round foil caps you might pull off a Sunny D drink. Then i saw some thickness and thought great, a quarter.

But it looked different than the clad quarters i had been finding, a different, cleaner look. I saw the 1943 date and did a mental happy dance.

In December i had found a 1943 wheat cent about 30 yards from this quarter. Someone here on forum pointed out that that penny meant that park held old stuff even if it had been heavily hunted and he was right!

Attachments

• SILVER.FIRST.jpg
    SILVER.FIRST.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 635
Oh yeah, where there is wheat there is silver and your first one is a sweet save. Congrats and there is no doubt the difference between clad & silver, just wait till you pop a plug and you see silver on the reveal, Best feeling. Good luck, Mark

That's a great first silver !
Oh, and if you still have that 1943 wheat cent and it's copper, I will give you 50 bucks for it.

I misspoke....

It's a 1941. Your offer made me think and i then realized 1943 was the year of the steel penny. I have a few that look like new.

What would a steel penny look like after decades in the dirt?

I misspoke....

It's a 1941. Your offer made me think and i then realized 1943 was the year of the steel penny. I have a few that look like new.

What would a steel penny look like after decades in the dirt?
Probably rusted beyond recognition. And I was just razzin' ya. If you had a '43 copper Lincoln,, you would would remember it I'm sure!!
That quarter is still a great first silver. I am sure it is the first of many silvers in your future!

Congrats! My first (and only) silver coin was a 1939 Mercury dime. And I nicked it with my shovel! Oh well. Like you, I found a wheat penny in close proximity to the silver coin.

I want to start metal detecting more, and I am considering buying a Simplex+ or a Vanquish (would be a nice upgrade from my 20th century RadioShack detector!). I have put together a sufficient "slush fund," but I am still trying to justify the potential purchase... Do you prefer one detector over the other?

What i really prefer is wireless headphones and the Simplex+ lets you go wireless for a little bit less $$$.

I also plan to take a detector along with me on my kayak hence the waterproof Simplex+.

But both machines are well built and are easy to collapse and store. The Vanquish has more pleasant tones, the Simplex+ sounds like unhappy geese flying overhead.

The Vanquish has a bit of the pedigree of an Equinox which seems to be a favorite on the forum but the Simplex+ has the look and the waterproofness of the Equinox.

If i could only have one i would opt for the Simplex+.

A hearty congrats!
I am now finishing my second week with a Simplex, although I had the flu and didnt go out much for four of those days.
I appreciate the extra little snippets of info you included abou the machine you used. Many people just want to show off their find and say nothing about the soil, tools or equipment used...none of that.

Personally, I havent found silver in years. But I also stopped detecting for 2 years. Even when I brought a detector with me to Peru TWICE, all I found was modern coins. I cant wait to find silver again. I think my last was also a quarter from the late 40's.

I'd like to hear more about your finds with the Simplex, silver or not...but this is a great milestone, fer shurr!:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom