Weighted Frequencies on Minelab Equinox 800

DrMRM

Hi,

Does anyone know the various weights assigned to the different frequencies in the different detect modes? I keep seeing it being referred to, but can't find the actual weights.

Thanks,
DrMRM

Last edited:
Hi,

Does anyone know the various weights assigned to the different frequencies in the different detect modes? I keep seeing it being referred to, but can't find the actual weights.

Thanks,
DrMRM

I saw it mentioned somewhere once -- which modes use which frequencies -- most use just 2 as I recall. A quick google search turned up little.

I think the person who knows is "Geotech" and has a "Geotech Forum" where the answer probably can be found, but it looks like you have to register to even READ anything there, so that's as far as I got.

Carl at Geotech has not definitively stated what frequencies are being used. He has speculated that there are certainly at least 2 in each mode.

Minelab will absolutely not be releasing the exact frequencies. That would be a really dumb thing to do. It would give away too much of their patented proprietary engineering and software data for Multi IQ.

I use my Equinox for many types of detecting but especially for SW USA gold prospecting. Most of the nuggets I find are smaller than .5 gram. Using the Multi setting, Park 1, Field 1, Beach 1 and Beach 2 will detect .5 gram gold and lead pieces fairly easily even in mineralized dirt down to about 3”.

Park 2, Field 2 and both of the Gold modes will detect .2 gram lead and gold at 3” and .5 gram gold and lead down to 6”. That tells me (much like the manual) that Park 2, Field 2 and the Gold modes are using plenty of the highest frequency (40 kHz). The other modes are probably using 20 kHz or less for their highest frequency of the two simultaneous frequencies since they are not as sensitive to those small gold and lead targets.

No, not gonna get that information without some serious reverse engineering and I doubt it's easy to do, otherwise other companies would be copying it (patent =/= trade secret, btw).

Carl has shared some info on Steve Herschbach's forum. I don't remember the exact post. You would have to either search through the Equinox forum for it or search for Carl's posts.

Carl knows what he is talking about.

Good luck.

This is what Carl posted on Geotech

Park & Field: 7.8k + 39k
Beach: 7.8k + 18.2k
Gold: 40k + 5k (the 5k appears to be a useless amount, probably just to say it is "multifrequency")

Back
Top Bottom