Garrett Apex and small coil selection and opinions. ???

Monte

"In Memory of"
For wide-open areas, such as a beach, plowed field, or out in some open and sparse-target grass, I grab my Apex #2 with their 'Raider' 8½X11 DD, and it works fine. For all of my general-use, day-to-day hunting, I work my main-use Apex with their 'Ripper' 5X8 DD which is an idea-size coil for most places, even with ow-to-moderate debris to deal with, and it is working great!

And then I have Apex #3 at-the-ready for places with really dense debris, especially a lot of ferrous junk and places with an abundance of discarded, scattered Iron Nails. Old and abandoned ghost towns associated with the Railroad, Mining and early Ranching & Farming era where conditions can be very challenging, and for those applications I have relied on smaller-size coils since early 1969. Thus, that Apex sports the NEL 5" 'Sharp' DD coil, and so far it, too, is working fine.

So I m wondering how many Apex users have also opted for the 5" NEL DD? What have been your experiences with that coil and performance afield?

And I'll add that I have used Garrett's 4½" Concentric coil on a Scorpion Gold Stinger, GTP-1350, GTI-2500 and I borrowed an AT MAX to use one on that model. I really liked the performance of that coil with some of the Garrett models and really wish Garrett made a good 4½" Concentric for the Apex.

Anyone have any comments or opinions regarding that coil? I know that while I am getting good performance with the 5" NEL DD, I'd gladly swap it out and mount a 4½" Concentric on that Apex. I can only hope Garrett produces that coil for the new Apex.

Monte

Hi Monte,
I've been looking at the Apex and see you have three of them with different coils mounted on them. Do you have a field test somewhere I could read?

Good Luck!

To 'Funforme' --- No, I have not done one yet as I've been too busy with my move to Texas. I ought to be into a house by mid May, and should have some permissions for a few sites as well. I am working on, and should finish in a couple of weeks, a field test on the Apex that I will be posting on my AHRPS Forums, especially since the evaluations I'm doing with all four search coils will be included.

I will say that right now I'm somewhat enjoying the 5" NEL DD coil in that the small size does fit in among the trash, and the iron debris, and it gives a good positive response in audio, however I'm finding some of the numeric VDI readouts and associated audio tones have been off a little bit. Mainly with slightly lower readouts. I sure wish Garrett would make their small, round 4½" Concentric coil work with the Apex devices because for so many decades I've been enjoying smaller-size coils the bulk of the time.

I'll let you know when I finish the field test and get it posted. The best part of doing a field test is simply enjoying the detector & coils in the many different site environments I can find, and I do enjoy the Apex.

Monte

Last edited:
To 'Funforme' --- No, I have not done one yet as I've been too busy with my move to Texas. I should be into a house by mid May, and should have some permissions for a few sites as well. I am working on, and should finish in a couple of weeks, a field test on the Apex that I will be posting on my AHRPS Forums, especially since the evaluations I'm doing with all four search coils will be included.

I will say that right now I'm somewhat enjoying the 5" NEL DD coil in that the small size does fit in amongst the trash, and the iron debris, and it gives a good positive response in audio, however I'm finding some of the vdi readouts and Associated audio tones have been off a little bit. Mainly with slightly lower readouts. I sure wish Garrett would make their small round coil work with the Apex devices because for so many decades I've been enjoying smaller size coils the bulk of the time.

I'll let you know when I finish the field test and get it posted. The best part of doing a field test is simply enjoying the detector in the many different site environments I can find oh, and I do enjoy the Apex.

Monte

What part of Texas are you moving to ?

pescadore: said:
What part of Texas are you moving to ?
They call it "West Central" but I haven't figured out their gridding methods when I look at a picture of the state.:?:

The town is Clyde, which is about fifteen minutes East of Abilene, and I'll guess 2½ hours west of Garrett Metal Detectors. I'll know better after I make a drive over that direction (Fort Worth / Dallas) in the next month or so. I never imagined I would live in a town called 'Clyde' but my oldest son moved here about 6 weeks ago, and wanting to live close to either my oldest or youngest sons to be able to have their help with things, this was by far the most affordable.

Houses, and I'm not talking anything fancy for those with a lot of $$$, in Oregon where I lived, as well as southern Idaho or close to my youngest son in Farmington, Utah, have skyrocketed the past few years. They are way out of my shopping budget, and that especially includes places like mobile homes in a senior or family park. No sense, to me, to invest in a house that is over-priced, lacks a yard for Miss Rikki to play in, and then you have to pay $750 to $1000 a month just to rent somebody-elses' dirt to rest your house on.

I did have a newer house than I'm buying, but sold my 1998 manufactured 2-Bed / 2-Bath home on a double lot of .27 acres and I'm buying a 1933 house on .52 acres here in town. After I sign and pay-up to get the keys, I am hving the entire house (88 year old wiring) completely re-wired, new outlets, switches, circuit breaker box, smoke and carbon-monoxide alarms installed and more, plus redo an outside wall, sand all the wooden floors and get them stained and sealed, and fix one low spot in the roof ... and maybe have almost $2,000 left from selling my place in Vale, Oregon so I can go do some furniture shopping.

Yes, it's name is Clyde, but it is a small and friendly town, close to a big one, and not only is housing much more affordable, but the majority of the folks I encounter around here are some of the friendliest I've met in a long time.

Opps! Sorry to ramble. Short answer to your question?

Clyde.

Monte

metaladdict: said:
3 apex! So that's where your economic check went!:lol:
Of course another way to look at my detecting gear is that I have 3 preferred Search Coils. They just happen to each be attached to the same model detectors. :)

Back
Top Bottom