Upgrading

Ifindjunk

Hi All,

I’m looking to upgrade from my Ace 250. I’ve been using it for about two years now and had some great finds with it. I’ve read about a years worth of posts from others in the forum looking for advice and still don’t know what to go with. I am definitely into relics and old coins and almost exclusively hunt private property. The areas I hunt are trashy, LOTS of iron. My main concern is that all the iron and other misc. trash in the area is masking higher value targets. I like what I’ve read about the nox 600 and 800, I’ve also read good things about the f75, and the simplex. The garret seems to really like the copper and brass (found Indian head, 2 cent piece, flat button, bells, ammo cartridges) but I’m convinced that there has to be some silver in the area as well. I think my main need is a detector that can pick out individual targets that are close together. I also fear I may be missing coins that aren’t laying flat in the ground. I’m open to any advice you guys might have. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Equinox 800 gets coins on edge.
It also gets silver in rusty iron infested saltwater!
They also rave about the pricey XP Deus for relics!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input metaladdict.. what would be your main reason for choosing the 800 over the 600?

I hunt the same type of areas - permissions with a lot of history and lots of trash (iron to modern trash). I think there are a number of machines that will do the job you're wanting to do. I also think a small coil helps quite a lot.

Machines you might wish to consider...

Nokta/Makro Multi Kruzer or the Nokta Anfibio

I own both. Both are fast (separate well) and do a good job of unmasking. Both can be set to go deep. Both can be somewhat sparky. Both are waterproof. Both have selectable frequencies (choose 1 of 3 choices). The Kruzer is built very well. The Anfibio is built like a tank. The Kruzer has an s shaft. The Anfibio has a straight shaft. The Anfibio has more modes/options. I find the 7 inch concentric coil to be excellent in trashy areas. Both are light weight and easy to swing (especially with the 7 inch coil).

Garrett Apex

I have not owned it for long. Still learning it. Very well built. Light weight and easy to swing. Simple to use, but has enough options that it can be effective in most conditions. Separates well. I doubt it is as deep as the Nokta machines I own. Two multi frequency options and four single frequency options. Very good in wet salt sand. Not waterproof but it is weatherproof (can be used in the rain, but don't dunk it underwater). I will use the smaller Ripper coil (5X8) the most since I mostly hunt in trashy locations.

XP ORX

I just got it a couple weeks ago. Extremely light weight. Extremely easy to swing. I haven't used it enough to talk about personal experience in using it.

It does seem to be very well built.

Basically the ORX is a dumbed down Deus with all of the performance and few of the options. Supposedly one of the very best when it comes to hunting in iron.

XP Deus

Supposedly an absolute beast in the iron. I don't know because I just received mine a couple days ago and haven't used it.

Deeptech Vista X

Never seen one in person. Supposed to be fantastic in the iron. I know someone who swears it is better than the Deus (in iron). He owns both.

Nokta says they will be bringing out a multi-frequency machine sometime this year. No official word on the date. Presumably it will be a very capable machine.

I've also seen a bit of talk about XP bringing a new multi-frequency machine to the market (very soon). No official word on that, so it could be all talk.

Good luck with whichever machine you choose.

I hunt the same type of areas - permissions with a lot of history and lots of trash (iron to modern trash). I think there are a number of machines that will do the job you're wanting to do. I also think a small coil helps quite a lot.

Machines you might wish to consider...

Nokta/Makro Multi Kruzer or the Nokta Anfibio

I own both. Both are fast (separate well) and do a good job of unmasking. Both can be set to go deep. Both can be somewhat sparky. Both are waterproof. Both have selectable frequencies (choose 1 of 3 choices). The Kruzer is built very well. The Anfibio is built like a tank. The Kruzer has an s shaft. The Anfibio has a straight shaft. The Anfibio has more modes/options. I find the 7 inch concentric coil to be excellent in trashy areas. Both are light weight and easy to swing (especially with the 7 inch coil).

Garrett Apex

I have not owned it for long. Still learning it. Very well built. Light weight and easy to swing. Simple to use, but has enough options that it can be effective in most conditions. Separates well. I doubt it is as deep as the Nokta machines I own. Two multi frequency options and four single frequency options. Very good in wet salt sand. Not waterproof but it is weatherproof (can be used in the rain, but don't dunk it underwater). I will use the smaller Ripper coil (5X8) the most since I mostly hunt in trashy locations.

XP ORX

I just got it a couple weeks ago. Extremely light weight. Extremely easy to swing. I haven't used it enough to talk about personal experience in using it.

It does seem to be very well built.

Basically the ORX is a dumbed down Deus with all of the performance and few of the options. Supposedly one of the very best when it comes to hunting in iron.

XP Deus

Supposedly an absolute beast in the iron. I don't know because I just received mine a couple days ago and haven't used it.

Deeptech Vista X

Never seen one in person. Supposed to be fantastic in the iron. I know someone who swears it is better than the Deus (in iron). He owns both.

Nokta says they will be bringing out a multi-frequency machine sometime this year. No official word on the date. Presumably it will be a very capable machine.

I've also seen a bit of talk about XP bringing a new multi-frequency machine to the market (very soon). No official word on that, so it could be all talk.

Good luck with whichever machine you choose.

Great info.. thank you for taking the time to explain all that! I will look into those machines

I started with an Ace 250 like you and upgraded to a Nox 600. Didn't see the need for the 800 given the cost difference. Going from an Ace I found there was a steep learning curve but after a year I just love the 600 and it amazes me on what it can find. Talk to a sponsor, get a deal on the 600 with a 6" coil to compliment the stock 11" and get the Nox!

Steve

I started with an Ace 250 like you and upgraded to a Nox 600. Didn't see the need for the 800 given the cost difference. Going from an Ace I found there was a steep learning curve but after a year I just love the 600 and it amazes me on what it can find. Talk to a sponsor, get a deal on the 600 with a 6" coil to compliment the stock 11" and get the Nox!

Steve

Thanks for the insight Steve!

I could give you a list of detectors that I would recommend and others I would not recommend, but that only shows what I like to use. Just going by what others recommend, is not the best choice for buying a detector.

You need to decide on what you want to buy! Not let others decide for you!

I could give you a list of detectors that I would recommend and others I would not recommend, but that only shows what I like to use. Just going by what others recommend, is not the best choice for buying a detector.

Yup, most of us do this for fun so finding a detector that we enjoy using the most is the best one.

Hi All,

I’m looking to upgrade from my Ace 250. I’ve been using it for about two years now and had some great finds with it. I’ve read about a years worth of posts from others in the forum looking for advice and still don’t know what to go with. I am definitely into relics and old coins and almost exclusively hunt private property. The areas I hunt are trashy, LOTS of iron. My main concern is that all the iron and other misc. trash in the area is masking higher value targets. I like what I’ve read about the nox 600 and 800, I’ve also read good things about the f75, and the simplex. The garret seems to really like the copper and brass (found Indian head, 2 cent piece, flat button, bells, ammo cartridges) but I’m convinced that there has to be some silver in the area as well. I think my main need is a detector that can pick out individual targets that are close together. I also fear I may be missing coins that aren’t laying flat in the ground. I’m open to any advice you guys might have. Thanks in advance!

All metal detectors basically do one thing... find metal. Lots of bells and whistles, and features that are simply a personal choice, and as such I would not recommend a machine for someone else. And yea, budget plays an important role as well. I rely heavily on reading hundreds (yes, hundreds) of reviews from average, everyday hobbyists when pursuing a new machine. It's easy to weed out the goofballs, ((ie "This thing wouldn't even detect a quarter laying on the floor next to my dryer!", or "I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks cool!")). I look at reviews from average, everyday detectorists, because that's what I am. Hope this helps. GL and HH.

I do have some ideas of what I want. I listed some of my concerns with what I’m using now and explained they type of hunting that I do...mainly relic hunting. What I’m looking for is peoples opinions on the few that I named and why...or if they have another recommendation for the type of hunting I described. I am not asking anyone to decide for me.

I think you'd be happy with any of the machines you mentioned. I bought the Nox 600 versus the 800 because I don't plan on doing any gold nugget hunting. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hunting!

Some good insight and advice from the previous posts. Although I have not used a lot of different machines I have been using the Equinox 800 since they first come out and do recommend it. And IMO the 800 over the 600 is definitely worth the extra $ . Being able to adjust / set regions, tones, iron volume is great asset on the 800. I will say the new one Makro Nokta has coming out does seem interesting but that could be up to year away. One more thing, if your into the hobby, I say get the one you want because if you don't, six months down the road ?????? Good luck, Mark

Some good insight and advice from the previous posts. Although I have not used a lot of different machines I have been using the Equinox 800 since they first come out and do recommend it. And IMO the 800 over the 600 is definitely worth the extra $ . Being able to adjust / set regions, tones, iron volume is great asset on the 800. I will say the new one Makro Nokta has coming out does seem interesting but that could be up to year away. One more thing, if your into the hobby, I say get the one you want because if you don't, six months down the road ?????? Good luck, Mark

Agreed, and why I did the same by choosing the 800. The 600 should get most of the things done that any “average normal hunter” is going to do, and more... but being able to tailor settings more extensively is my big thing. There are a number of adjustments that the 800 has that the 600 does not. You might want to read up on what each one has if you’re going to get an Equinox.

If I were to give you advice on the equinox, it would be to buy the new book on it by Andy Sabisch. It is recent enough to have the Coiltek coils contained within and will give you great insight into the machines. It is about $25 and has both the 600 and 800 settings along with many users settings programs and advice from each in a real world style.

It’s a good read before you buy scenario. If you don't go the equinox route, you could always sell the book without much loss if any.

I have both the 600 and the 800 and use them both frequently. The book for me has bern very eye opening even though I have owned them for two years plus.

I like the F75 LTD. It works pretty good in iron. In real high iron trash I put it in FA (fast mode) and raise the sensitivity to 99 (max). The stock coil likes 99 sensitivity settings in FA mode. Really brings out the hidden non-ferrous. I find it amazing sometimes at what it does.

What I really like about the F75 LTD is that I can pick the tone mode I want to use with the program.

Don't having any experience with the NOX.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input metaladdict.. what would be your main reason for choosing the 800 over the 600?

I wanted to get an all out high end detector for a good price and have no regrets. It is very versatile. I have not been let down by the purchase.
That being said, If I didn't have the money a 600 would have suited me fine also I believe.

Thanks everyone for your input. I did end up going with the Nox 800. Jeff from Quality Metal Detectors gave me an awesome quote that I couldn’t pass up. If anyone else is looking to buy a new machine I highly recommend getting in touch with Jeff. He responded to me almost instantly with a quote and my machine had shipped the next day.

Back
Top Bottom