Use any opportunity to get permission

stetam

Elite Member
I was on my way home yesterday and passed an 1800's brick farmhouse that had a couple tables full of items in the driveway with a sign marked free. I stopped and got two working battery chargers.:D I never turn down free. There was maybe 50 cardboard boxes of stuff in the driveway so I knocked on the door. A women answered and I thanked her for the chargers and then asked her if they were getting ready for a yard sale and if they had any old phonograph items, since restoration and repair of old phonographs is my other hobby. She stated no they are cleaning out her father-in-laws house. I took the opportunity to ask if she would mind if I metal detected there, since it is a place I had always wanted to hit. She said it was fine as long as I showed them what I find.

Don't be shy, knock on doors and strike up a conversation. I have been successful 90% of the time doing this. You never know.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 284
That's a skill that I definitely need to work on. I've pretty much always done everything solo. Hunted, fished, camped... alone. Love the solitude. Probably one of the reasons that detecting "clicked" with me. The downside being a lack of "social skills" that make me feel awkward when seeking permissions, So I've only done it a couple of times. Probably a bit backward, but I prefer the term backwoods. (In fact, this is the only social media site that I'm on.) For now, I'm relying heavily on name dropping a couple of close friends as a method, but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start door knockin'. Nice charger score! Free is always good. GL and HH.

Back
Top Bottom