My Yard... My Nemesis...

Huckleberry

Elite Member
My Yard... My Nemesis

My own yard continues to give me fits! :frustrated: Original cabin built in 1860‘s, burned and replaced with the house built in 1900. Just a touch over 4 acres and has all the trash from everyone who ever lived here, at depth. Overload signals that end up being gate hinges, masses of foil, and the occasional 4 foot iron pipe thrown in just for fun. (I’m a sucker for overload signals.:signals:) Nails, nails, and more nails. Running at Disc 0 sounds like machine gun fire. Bolts, spark plugs, pull tabs, Stag cans, you get the idea. It’s so ridiculous that I have to search for a place to ground balance. I have hunted it off and on for a little over three years finding a few cool relics and perhaps 20 wheats, a single undated Buff nickel, and a token from the early 1900's, as well as some clad and then the party was over. I had begun to believe that it had been hunted out previously due to the lack of silver, but now I tend to doubt that because I think that the amount of trash in the ground would cause a "normal" person to move on. Some of you may know that I recently upgraded to the Fisher F75, and my yard my nemesis was the reason for this. I only have about 50 hours under my belt with the F75, but I think that I have a pretty good handle on its operation, however, not one silver coin at this point from my yard. Just a lot of trash. So anyway, today I got a 5 inch sniper coil for it, hoping that will help. I really believe that there are goodies to be found here, and if the sniper coil doesn’t help, I will have to resort to the “dig it all” :digginahole: approach, and am not relishing that prospect. Anyone have any suggestions??? Have I lost my mind???:laughing:

Yesterday, while keeping an eye on the kids, I had about fifteen minutes in my front yard. Now I've already swept the whole thing twice, front to back then side to side. Best I got out of it was a 1968 kennedy half. Nothing to sniff at, but less than I dreamed of getting. I've pulled out tons of nails (we just had the house re-sided too), random metal bits, fishing weights and hooks, and a couple of engine parts.

But I figured I was out there for a few minutes, and I'm going to take the time with my kids if it's there, we're all outside, I'll just swing. And maybe I'll turn the sensitivity way up and swing slower. Well I guess that thing finally clicked, because after a few minutes I got an off signal, dug it, and pulled a mercury dime out. F me, right?

So today, I figured that slow swing and noisy high sensitivity was doing so well I'd try it again for fifteen minutes during lunch. I went along the original sidewalk path, same as yesterday, same place I've gridded over twice and randomly gone over a few times again. Got a weak 60 (most silver dimes come up at 81 or so on a simplex), dug it, pulled out a 1943 roosevelt. Both "cleaned" up real pretty with lots of detail.

Maybe you have something like that hiding for you. Get out some more, swing slower, and dig anything that's not totally iron.

No , you haven't lost your mind at all . I would love to have the opportunities that are potentially there . It's your property , it's a big spread , it has a history , you don't have to beg someone to hunt it , what you find is always yours to keep , no one standing over your shoulder.
No gas needed , your already there . You can use a screwdriver ,shovel , backhoe , dynamite , no 30% cut or permit needed. Man , it's all good !!
I'm thinking with your new detector and coil silver will show up soon .
That little sniper coil was a great investment too .
I think you're doing things right , keep at it and good luck !

Yesterday, while keeping an eye on the kids, I had about fifteen minutes in my front yard. Now I've already swept the whole thing twice, front to back then side to side. Best I got out of it was a 1968 kennedy half. Nothing to sniff at, but less than I dreamed of getting. I've pulled out tons of nails (we just had the house re-sided too), random metal bits, fishing weights and hooks, and a couple of engine parts.

But I figured I was out there for a few minutes, and I'm going to take the time with my kids if it's there, we're all outside, I'll just swing. And maybe I'll turn the sensitivity way up and swing slower. Well I guess that thing finally clicked, because after a few minutes I got an off signal, dug it, and pulled a mercury dime out. F me, right?

So today, I figured that slow swing and noisy high sensitivity was doing so well I'd try it again for fifteen minutes during lunch. I went along the original sidewalk path, same as yesterday, same place I've gridded over twice and randomly gone over a few times again. Got a weak 60 (most silver dimes come up at 81 or so on a simplex), dug it, pulled out a 1943 roosevelt. Both "cleaned" up real pretty with lots of detail.

Maybe you have something like that hiding for you. Get out some more, swing slower, and dig anything that's not totally iron.

Congrats Jordan , way to do it and great advice !

Lots of old places are like that. Layers of junk upon junk. Just because it's an old site doesn't mean it's going to a silver mine. I've been searching all the woods around me where there used to be old farms as old as Ohio itself. Those people did not have alot of money. They farmed and their descendants farmed. Then more of their offspring sold off the farms. So you're going to dig tons of scrap iron, chunks of unidentifiable metal whatnot and shotgun shells.
Most of the people moved west with nothing.

There was an old farmhouse from the 1860s across the road from my house now in my neighbor's backyard. Hunted that and about had to go to the nervous hospital because of all the signals.
The house was pushed over into a pile then burned and buried. Found lots of broken glass, broken china, window parts and every kind of nail made since the 1860s.
Some sites are better than others.
Good luck and happy hunting.

My house was built in 1930. I've been here almost 4 years. Detected it mostly in front with a Teketics Eurotek and my new Tesoro Bandito. The back will be a nightmare, I know...so I havent ventured very far past the back porch. The back yard was a mess when we bought it. I can only imagine what it's like under the surface. Plus, my neighbor to the north said a long time ago a former owner had him throw some fill in our back yard. I suppose there's nothing that says the fill cant have goodies in it...but who knows where it came from.

Lately with the Tesoro I found some older relics pretty deep, like 10 inches or so. One was a broken piece of ornamental cast iron. There were apparently a few parts off old cars near the driveway, several old faucet and hardware items... But the only coins I found were modern and within just 2 inches. This whole neighborhood was part of a farm at one time. The houses started getting built for miners in the 20's when a motherlode of coal was found in the hill across the valley.

Soon I might just start hitting the back yard although I dread it. I've done plenty of yardwork related digging back there and already have an idea of the trashy nightmare which lies beneath. Its also on a somewhat steep hill to make things even worse.

We have an abandoned school in the neighborhood. So far fairly modern pop cans at 4 inches and some moder clad are the best I've found. Plus the local kids get really annoying when they start following you! I was actually happy when my trowel broke one day and I told them I had to go home! :roll:

I have a bucket of junk from my 1890's farmstead, so much foil, and piles of rusted bits. I usually only go out until I've pocketed 3 pieces of junk. My best find is a 14k gold ring with a green cabochon cut stone. I'll have to try turning up the gain and sweeping slower, I still see deep targets. I may as well get out the garden spade and dig it even though I have a pretty good idea it will end up in the junk bucket.

Thanks Jordan. I hit it for a couple of hours this morning with the sniper coil, and managed to squeak out a pair of clad quarters in an area that I have gone over many times. Dug a lot of trash as well. I was running sens at max and it was stable in the front yard. I ran disc at 6 to knock out some of the nails and to hopefully help with unmasking. Nothing fantastic, but it sure beat putting every target in my trash pouch!

No , you haven't lost your mind at all . I would love to have the opportunities that are potentially there . It's your property , it's a big spread , it has a history , you don't have to beg someone to hunt it , what you find is always yours to keep , no one standing over your shoulder.
No gas needed , your already there . You can use a screwdriver ,shovel , backhoe , dynamite , no 30% cut or permit needed. Man , it's all good !!
I'm thinking with your new detector and coil silver will show up soon .
That little sniper coil was a great investment too .
I think you're doing things right , keep at it and good luck !

Thanks Soil Surgeon. You are correct in your evaluation. I guess I just needed someone to put it into perspective for me. I put the sniper coil to use today. Had some limited success in the yard this morning. Just a couple of clad quarters, but hey, it's something! On a whim I went across the road to a small bluff that overlooks my tiny cabin across the creek. It looks like the kind of place that kids would play. Switched to PF mode due to the leaf cover and gave it a shot. In a small 10' X 10' area I was able to hit 17 coins by weaseling the little coil through the brush. Nothing to brag about, all clad, 2 dimes, 2 nickels, and 13 pennies, but it sure felt good not digging all trash.:lol:I'm allready feelin' the love for the little sniper for woods hunting!

Lots of old places are like that. Layers of junk upon junk. Just because it's an old site doesn't mean it's going to a silver mine. I've been searching all the woods around me where there used to be old farms as old as Ohio itself. Those people did not have alot of money. They farmed and their descendants farmed. Then more of their offspring sold off the farms. So you're going to dig tons of scrap iron, chunks of unidentifiable metal whatnot and shotgun shells.
Most of the people moved west with nothing.

There was an old farmhouse from the 1860s across the road from my house now in my neighbor's backyard. Hunted that and about had to go to the nervous hospital because of all the signals.
The house was pushed over into a pile then burned and buried. Found lots of broken glass, broken china, window parts and every kind of nail made since the 1860s.
Some sites are better than others.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks HistoryHippy. Point taken.

My house was built in 1930. I've been here almost 4 years. Detected it mostly in front with a Teketics Eurotek and my new Tesoro Bandito. The back will be a nightmare, I know...so I havent ventured very far past the back porch. The back yard was a mess when we bought it. I can only imagine what it's like under the surface. Plus, my neighbor to the north said a long time ago a former owner had him throw some fill in our back yard. I suppose there's nothing that says the fill cant have goodies in it...but who knows where it came from.

Lately with the Tesoro I found some older relics pretty deep, like 10 inches or so. One was a broken piece of ornamental cast iron. There were apparently a few parts off old cars near the driveway, several old faucet and hardware items... But the only coins I found were modern and within just 2 inches. This whole neighborhood was part of a farm at one time. The houses started getting built for miners in the 20's when a motherlode of coal was found in the hill across the valley.

Soon I might just start hitting the back yard although I dread it. I've done plenty of yardwork related digging back there and already have an idea of the trashy nightmare which lies beneath. Its also on a somewhat steep hill to make things even worse.

We have an abandoned school in the neighborhood. So far fairly modern pop cans at 4 inches and some moder clad are the best I've found. Plus the local kids get really annoying when they start following you! I was actually happy when my trowel broke one day and I told them I had to go home! :roll:

I feel your pain Metal Pig! There's always the backup plan... Dig it all. That's probably where I'll be before it's all said and done. Good Luck!

Yes.... Equinox 800.:yes:

Can the Nox see through smashed cans, wads of foil the size of softballs, and sheet metal. Can the Nox show me a Merc next to a 5 foot T-Post ten inches under the ground? Can the Nox show me that the next rusty tobacco tin doesn't contain some kids coin stash from the 1920's? Can the Nox leap tall buildings in a single bound? The answer isn't always a different machine. Granted, there are detectors that aren't up to the task. The F-75 does not fall into that category. There are detectorists who aren't up to the task, not sure exactly where I fall, but most generally in a downward direction. :lol: And there are also nightmare sites where people have left an ungodly amount of trash for 160 years, and that pretty much sets the reality of the situation, that being no matter how much you drop on a machine, there is no magic bullet. I detect my nemesis only because it is "convenient"???:laughing:. I don't have to go anywhere, just walk out the door and get to it. What my nemesis is in it's current state is the single most metallic trashy site that I have seen and one hell of a learning opportunity. With that said, if my yard were a permission, I would not make a return visit as there are happier hunting sites out there, :lol: and I detect other sites without issue, so my getting a Nox 800 would be like getting a pair of $500 boots to wear on the porch.:?: GL and HH!:D

Can the Nox see through smashed cans, wads of foil the size of softballs, and sheet metal. Can the Nox show me a Merc next to a 5 foot T-Post ten inches under the ground? Can the Nox show me that the next rusty tobacco tin doesn't contain some kids coin stash from the 1920's? Can the Nox leap tall buildings in a single bound? The answer isn't always a different machine. Granted, there are detectors that aren't up to the task. The F-75 does not fall into that category. There are detectorists who aren't up to the task, not sure exactly where I fall, but most generally in a downward direction. :lol: And there are also nightmare sites where people have left an ungodly amount of trash for 160 years, and that pretty much sets the reality of the situation, that being no matter how much you drop on a machine, there is no magic bullet. I detect my nemesis only because it is "convenient"???:laughing:. I don't have to go anywhere, just walk out the door and get to it. What my nemesis is in it's current state is the single most metallic trashy site that I have seen and one hell of a learning opportunity. With that said, if my yard were a permission, I would not make a return visit as there are happier hunting sites out there, :lol: and I detect other sites without issue, so my getting a Nox 800 would be like getting a pair of $500 boots to wear on the porch.:?: GL and HH!:D

Have you tried an Equinox?
That's Ok
I'm sure your F75 will keep it interesting. It has many settings, I read two tone can help in your situation.
Happy hunting.

Have you tried an Equinox?
That's Ok
I'm sure your F75 will keep it interesting. It has many settings, I read two tone can help in your situation.
Happy hunting.

Have you read my Original Post???
That's OK.
Was it posted under Advice on Detector Purchase???
That’s OK.
Was it descriptive of a unique, single site specific, situation???
That’s OK.
I get it. You love your Nox.
That’s OK too.
Thanks for your help.

GL and HH!

If I had a place that I owned I would dig it all or plow it if it wasn't the like the yard. Plowing it obviously unmask things. I'd get out all of those cans and overload signals first.

Your doing the right thing. Over time, you might just find a nice keeper that was masked by a deep can or something. A small coil should help sort through the trash, though you might lose a little depth. I would certainly start with the small coil and work my way up to the bigger ones. Good luck, and keep us posted!

If I had a place that I owned I would dig it all or plow it if it wasn't the like the yard. Plowing it obviously unmask things. I'd get out all of those cans and overload signals first.

Thanks longbow, unfortunately it’s 90% yard so plowing is not an option. I’m more than likely going to alternate between the sniper coil, and digging all non ferrous and overload signals, starting with the obvious historic paths from the house to outbuildings and such, and then expanding the “excavation”. Best idea I have not to destroy the yard is to roll back the sod in about 2' X 2' areas, detect and remove non ferrous, then hit it with a magnet for the small iron. Maybe get some goodies in the process, and then roll the sod back into place. I’ll have to kind of jump around in doing this so as not to kill the grass, but the detector will tell me where I have and haven’t been.

Sniper coil should help. One on my brand transformed a least used detector to my go to detector.

Thanks slingshot, I’ve wanted one for quite a while and now after using it only a couple of hours, I’m already crazy about it.

Your doing the right thing. Over time, you might just find a nice keeper that was masked by a deep can or something. A small coil should help sort through the trash, though you might lose a little depth. I would certainly start with the small coil and work my way up to the bigger ones. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Thanks cellrdwellr, I did notice a little depth loss, but was impressed with the separation, especially in FA mode. I took it for a little walk in the woods yesterday, it was great for snaking in and around the brush.

man, that's a tough situation... I would grid small blocks and just do the dig everything ...thing. a few years back i lived in a 1901 house, it took me forever but eventually I got the newer trash out of the way and went deeper and found some great keepers. I'm working a park right now it's huge, but to not overwhelm myself I take a square at a time... I remove all shallow targets and move up from there... at first i only dig two way repeatable good targets... then I step up to the iffy but OK targets, and from there I hit the very iffy targets.. if it's good both ways.. dig, don't worry about what it is...you will be surprised! I hope this wasn't to long winded... not trying to tell you what to do, rather what I would do. HH!

man, that's a tough situation... I would grid small blocks and just do the dig everything ...thing. a few years back i lived in a 1901 house, it took me forever but eventually I got the newer trash out of the way and went deeper and found some great keepers. I'm working a park right now it's huge, but to not overwhelm myself I take a square at a time... I remove all shallow targets and move up from there... at first i only dig two way repeatable good targets... then I step up to the iffy but OK targets, and from there I hit the very iffy targets.. if it's good both ways.. dig, don't worry about what it is...you will be surprised! I hope this wasn't to long winded... not trying to tell you what to do, rather what I would do. HH!

Thanks Max. Good advice, and it's pretty much the direction that I'm heading with this situation. Gotta take some extra care so as not to destroy the yard and end up in the doghouse at the same time. :lol: It will take some time though. I'm going to approach it in small parcels when I don't have the time to go anywhere else and maintain my sanity by hitting other sites as time allows. If anything cool "comes to the surface" I will be posting it.

Have you read my Original Post???
That's OK.
Was it posted under Advice on Detector Purchase???
That’s OK.
Was it descriptive of a unique, single site specific, situation???
That’s OK.
I get it. You love your Nox.
That’s OK too.
Thanks for your help.

GL and HH!

Like others say, farmers were poor but if you find a silver we will be glad to feast our eyes on them. Good luck in the crazy iron.:lol:

Like others say, farmers were poor but if you find a silver we will be glad to feast our eyes on them. Good luck in the crazy iron.:lol:

Thanks metaladdict. Not lookin' for a silver mine for sure at this location. :laughing: But I gotta think that there are one or two keepers in there. And maybe an IHP or two??? Funny thing though... I've never found anything resembling a toy in the entire yard. 160 years of history and no kids??? Weird!:?:

Back
Top Bottom